Today is a sad day for the UK and nobody's bothered

Owdlad

Today the last remaining Uk deep coal mine closes for good.. not because it's uneconomical to mine far from it the pit has millions of tonnes in reserves.

The reason the pit is closing is simply based on that the power station it feeds (some 7 miles away) is now allowed to import cheap coal from Columbia that employs working practices that was outlawed in this country and the civilised world some 100 years ago.

Will we see a reduction in our energy prices?......NO.

What action has our government taken?....NON! They have created the problem.

This country was once self reliant on Coal, Gas and Oil the most basic requirement of a trading nation ect ect........ Not any more

Before all the tree huggers jump to the defence. What about clean coal technology and carbon capture that has now been developed. We can't rely on solar or wind power. Gas/oil is running out. Oh I forgot about fracking.......Fracking is not allowed in France because of environmental concerns and yet our government is issuing fracking licences out like confeti to French companies and have just given them permission to frack under our national parks with possible dire irriversable damage to our underground environment

Be very afraid.......Be very afraid as now our economy and our very basic rights have been compromised by some despot in another far off land or some player on the foregn stock exchange while our inept politicians stand idly by and do nothing.

I fear the worst

Advert

Owdlad, these are the "benefits" of the modern, globalized world. We close factories in the first world because they are expensive compared to the low cost country. We are more expensive because thankfully we have achieved acceptable labour conditions accross the years, unlike these countries where there's no protection whatsoever to the employees' rights, in fact there are no such thing there.
The paradox of all this story is that we are penalized just for being good guys, and at the same time and to "fill tje gap" left in UK, France orSpain,the people in those other countries are comdemned to slavery.
Extremely sad

where i live, opencast mining used to be one of the biggest employers there were . crouch mining , uk coal and banks were all here . now theres hardly any sites , its quite sad . having worked for both crouch and uk coal i certainly miss it . there was even talk not to long ago of coal being taken from a deep mine just off our coast . perhaps in a few decades they will have to go for it ...or switch the lights off

No comparison then with modellers buying cheap imports from hobby king and the like effectively killing our own manufactures ! Virtually all trading is now down to cost and nothing to do with loyalty . From the barrow boy right up to big companies . I'm afraid we are all to blame and have been for a few decades now. From toys to cars , if we can save a few quid we go for the cheaper option and ignore our own produce . We are all to blame.

Posted by kc on 18/12/2015 19:19:08:

We are sitting on 300 years supply of coal and yet will lose the workers with the know how and courage to extract it if there is no continuation of mining in UK. Madness. We are putting UK future at the whim of foreigners.

We can always get plenty of Polish miners to work the pits if the time ever comes. wink 2

There have been two posts on this thread questioning this topic's relevance to model aircraft. Modelflying has always had a "Chit Chat" section of the forum which allows members to discuss general topics outside of the realm of RC modeling. Such threads as this are allowed, provided that they follow the usual rules of conduct we expect of all contributors. Nothing new there.

BEB

Sadly the powers that be know the cost of everything but the value of nothing

We have now lost the last pool of skilled miners that should be retained as a strategic industry

Coal can be burnt when combined with carbon capture technologies and be eco friendly

But now we have lost both the pits and the knowledge