Crashtastic??

These misguided sad people's egos are no doubt bursting with excitement at the number of hit they are receiving on their web-site. The real danger is that they will try and do more and more stunts to maintain their notoriety. I for one will not look at another clip with luck they will either be prosecuted or just go away.

Video linked to by O.P. was quite worrying. Doesn't seem to be much awareness of anything going on.

Do they post anything other than crashes?

I haven't looked - don't want to contribute to the view count which is no doubt driving the youtube page.

Posted by Owdlad on 27/07/2016 16:27:59:

I'm sorry but the mods should remove this thread as it ( in my opinion) shines a very poor light on the rest of 'us' responsible modellers

As the originator of this thread I feel I have some responsibility for it, but the fact that the antics of these fellers have attracted such universal condemnation, I feel justified in starting it. They are flying in a public area with seemingly no regard to anyone's safety. They have let their enthusiasm for the hobby get in the way of common sense. I doubt they are an organised club and for anyone starting the hobby it's an object lesson in how not to go flying model aircraft.

Posted by Dai Fledermaus on 27/07/2016 17:10:37:

I'm sorry but the mods should remove this thread as it ( in my opinion) shines a very poor light on the rest of 'us' responsible modellers

As the originator of this thread I feel I have some responsibility for it, but the fact that the antics of these fellers have attracted such universal condemnation, I feel justified in starting it. They are flying in a public area with seemingly no regard to anyone's safety. They have let their enthusiasm for the hobby get in the way of common sense. I doubt they are an organised club and for anyone starting the hobby it's an object lesson in how not to go flying model aircraft.

Dai sums it up spot on for me yes

Posted by john stones 1 on 27/07/2016 17:17:37:

+1.

The YouTube video will remain for all to see, better that there is a thread here condemning it. Rather than remove it, I could suggest the mods rename it, so the title of the thread makes it obvious that we don't approve. I know the OP used question marks after the title - not sure if that quite makes the desired impression...

...admittedly, it's unfortunate that as I look at it now, the 'latest posts' box looks rather as if we are sensationalising crashes: crashtastic, then a poll on who has had the most expensive crash...  

Edited By The Wright Stuff on 27/07/2016 17:58:29

+1

Contacting the BMFA and making them aware is the thing to do, not get a thread deleted, wish the whole deal would go away nor inserting thumbs in orifices varied.

Posted by Darrell Woodward on 27/07/2016 18:30:22:

+1

Contacting the BMFA and making them aware is the thing to do, not get a thread deleted, wish the whole deal would go away nor inserting thumbs in orifices varied.

Yes well put I was too hasty in my post. I just get annoyed when this fantastic hobby is portrayed in a manner that does not do it justice.....Yes we all like a laugh but at the same time we have to act in a safe and responsible manner.

We don't fly toy planes, we fly minature aircraft that can cause serious damage or injury to persons or property if thing go wrong.

In the eyes of the law......ignorance isn't an excuse

Posted by The Wright Stuff on 27/07/2016 17:56:08:

+1.

The YouTube video will remain for all to see, better that there is a thread here condemning it.

...or maybe not - looks like they got wind of this thread and have started removing videos from YouTube. Two posted earlier in this thread have gone already.

Edited By MattyB on 27/07/2016 22:34:01

Posted by MattyB on 27/07/2016 22:11:04:
Posted by The Wright Stuff on 27/07/2016 17:56:08:

+1.

The YouTube video will remain for all to see, better that there is a thread here condemning it.

...or maybe not - looks like they got wind of this thread and have started removing videos from YouTube. Two posted earlier in this thread have gone already.

Edited By MattyB on 27/07/2016 22:34:01

Well, iirc a 'removed vid' is not actually removed, just blocked and only the up-loader can watch it on their channel.

I couldnt get permission to use my friends 100mbit connection so didn't manage to rip the first two posted vids..... but I did manage to get some of their others......

There's others that have been removed too, which is a shame

So, who's the best bod to contact within the BMFA?

I wonder if that was altogether the best thing to do? While the behaviour on film was reckless and stupid, we don't know whether it would be safe to operate a bit further from the car park and maybe this was the basis for the council granting permission. Many clubs share public land and operate safely.

I think here's a danger that a model-friendly council may now view any application from sensible model flyers to fly on public land much less favourably as a result of this being brought to their attention. While you might argue that this sort of action shows the responsible attitude of the model flying community, it seems like at least some of the message was getting through to this group and education must be preferable to legislation.

Posted by Martin Harris on 28/07/2016 09:26:49:

I wonder if that was altogether the best thing to do? While the behaviour on film was reckless and stupid, we don't know whether it would be safe to operate a bit further from the car park and maybe this was the basis for the council granting permission. Many clubs share public land and operate safely.

I think here's a danger that a model-friendly council may now view any application from sensible model flyers to fly on public land much less favourably as a result of this being brought to their attention. While you might argue that this sort of action shows the responsible attitude of the model flying community, it seems like at least some of the message was getting through to this group and education must be preferable to legislation.

+1

It seems some of the people in the videos are BMFA members and are also members of a nearby BMFA affiliated club. I think a little complacency has set it with the *its just a foamie it cant do any harm" attitude setting in.

On their facebook page the show a model dressed in ambulance colours that they encourage passers by to have a go whilst asking a small donation to charity. A marvellous idea.

It also does seem they may be getting the message as earlier criticism on you tube was meet with a mind your own business attitude but comments left over the last few days mostly from this form members has got their attention.

I hope that they can learn and move on and enjoy the hobby in a safe manner. Their flying site is far from ideal but still can be made to work with a little common sense.

Guys , this is a very public access site not a remote car park with no visitors. its full of people sunbathing, walking etc so safety and a proper adherence to flying areas , take off calls, landing sites etc is essential. Flying over cars, people , houses etc is just dumb and a breach of the ANO.

One dumb ass crash or incident and thats a huge PR disaster for them and OUR hobby, hence why i have acted.

I used to be chair for a public site and it was exhausting reminding pilots to always give way to the public , have spotters for walkers and be prepared to sacrifice the model if it requires it.

What a shame that it has come to this, a public airing of model flyers highlighting the negative issues with a bunch of guys on the south coast doing their best to have some fun and encourage youngsters to take an interest in the hobby. But here we have a number of anonymous forum members hiding behind their usernames acting as judge, jury and executioner and probably having these guys flying site taken away from them by reporting it to the local council. I thought the idea was to encourage fellow flyers to improve their flying skills and not to condemn them to the point of closing them down. If you had an issue then contact them, after all they have both Facebook and Twitter therefore not anonymous like you are.

John (Midlands Gliding)

Posted by John Soper on 29/07/2016 08:59:13:

What a shame that it has come to this, a public airing of model flyers highlighting the negative issues with a bunch of guys on the south coast doing their best to have some fun and encourage youngsters to take an interest in the hobby. But here we have a number of anonymous forum members hiding behind their usernames acting as judge, jury and executioner and probably having these guys flying site taken away from them by reporting it to the local council. I thought the idea was to encourage fellow flyers to improve their flying skills and not to condemn them to the point of closing them down. If you had an issue then contact them, after all they have both Facebook and Twitter therefore not anonymous like you are.

John (Midlands Gliding)

this is a discussion form where people can discuss and share there views. This particular discussion was sparked by very public videos on youtube . but judge jury and executioner can not be the case as an anonymous (as you put it) forum post has no authority it is just an opinion. If you can not accept any criticism then maybe you should not post videos for anyone to see

Edited By Phil 9 on 29/07/2016 10:10:26

Posted by Phil 9 on 29/07/2016 09:57:31:

John (Midlands Gliding)

this is a discussion form where people can discuss and share there views. This particular discussion was sparked by very public videos on youtube . but judge jury and executioner can not be the case as an anonymous (as you put it) forum post has no authority it is just an opinion.

Here in the south east we are very aware of how dangerous models can be . Remember the tragic incident on Dartford Heath a few years ago ? Better these flyers are moved to a safer location rather than wait until another incident gets all flying in the borough banned altogether. Better still if they were encouraged to to form a properly run club .As you say just my opinion .

Posted by Phil 9 on 29/07/2016 09:57:31:

John (Midlands Gliding)

this is a discussion form where people can discuss and share there views. This particular discussion was sparked by very public videos on youtube . but judge jury and executioner can not be the case as an anonymous (as you put it) forum post has no authority it is just an opinion. If you can not accept any criticism then maybe you should not post videos for anyone to see

Edited By Phil 9 on 29/07/2016 10:10:26

I think he was referring to the email to the council by Mr Boogaloo, not the forum discussion.

This truly is making me wonder whether I want to be involved with this, the supposed 'friendly forum'.

Surely a word in their collective 'shell like' by the BMFA would have been the responsible way forward.

Kim

sad day dept.

Personally, I have to agree with Kim Taylor & John Soper on this one.

Phil 9 is, I think, confusing the quite correct concerns mentioned on this forum with the (apparent) email to Havant BC from Electric Boogaloo, which, I too, feel was a highly inappropriate action and could impact on the wider modeling community in that area.

There have been plenty of other more appropriate suggestions on how to deal with what, I agree, is very bad practice and, of course, am uncertain on whether any were followed up.

Like the recent 'ban' on political discussion under the 'Brexit' thread, this discussion has left me feeling a bit disillusioned with this forum. It's probably just my desire to see open and fair debate but I can't help feeling things are becoming a little bit censorious.

Just to clarify - there is a major and significant difference between the Brexit debate issue and this thread - this thread is relevant to the topic of the forum in that it deals with aeromodelling - general politcial "debate"doesn't and isn't.

I am also curious how us allowing this discussion to continue is in some way interfering with open fair debate? I would have thought the fact that we have not stepped in would be an indication that we are allowing open and fair debate. I really wonder if you have thought that comment out Michael?

Finally on the subject of notifying the council - I'm sorry but I really do not see how the forum is in any way responsible for that! It was an independent private action, taken unilaterally, by one individual - we didn't make him do it! The "Forum" officially didn't contact anyone! We can't stop private individuals doing what they want to do outside of this forum - if we did then you really would have something to complain about!

BEB

And at which point did I suggest that there WAS interference with 'open and fair' debate? I actually said I thought there were better options on how to deal with the original problem so surely that is supporting the debate, not interfering with it?

Nor did I suggest there was any connection between this thread and the Brexit one. I was only raising my personal concerns.

Similarly, I don't think either Kim, John or myself suggested that this forum was at fault, if fault it was, in Electric Boogaloo emailing the local council. I think the comments were directed at that particular poster, not the forum.

I rather think it is you, BEB that hasn't thought out your comment.