How windy is too windy?

The answer is obvious - 'it depends' - but setting aside the PSS models that need as much as possible, what is your upper limit for general sport flying of powered models in the 45 -60 inch span range? When you look at the forecast for wind speed and gust, at what point do you say 'too much'? I have damaged a couple of models lately by overestimating my ability to fly or land safely in a gusting wind, so I am interested to hear opinions of more experienced flyers.

Advert

A good question - and the answer is that it all depends on the model! Many of the current crop of ARTF types - beautiful though they may look - are so lightly constructed that they can indeed be tricky to land in anything more than a light breeze. I have a "Spacewalker" that definitely falls into that category!

On the other hand, I have a "KingPin" - an aerobatic design from 1963 - which handles quite a stiff breeze with no issues whatsoever. Indeed it had its maiden flight on a day when most other models were grounded by the breeze!

The last year or two, we seem to have had much more wind crossing the country than in days of yore. I can't ever recall losing so many flying days because of the howling gale up at our site. Maybe I need to build a few more "lead-sleds", better suited to our current climate!

As an aside, I live in a very sheltered spot - unlike our flying site which is very exposed! I cannot gauge the wind easily from the house. However, there is a group of trees at the top of the hill, and if I see these waving about, I know its a waste of time travelling to the field......

--

Pete

The BMFA limit is 25knots or about 27mph.

I have definitely flown in conditions exceeding that. I have often wondered what the outcome would be if I had an accident while flying in windy weather that exceeds BMFA guidelines. Would I still be insured or considered to be partially culpable for flying in conditions that exceed the limit set by the BMFA.

Martyn

Another factor is setting the model up. Putting wings on models in a gale can be like rigging a windsurfer on a beach! With the added problem of fragile wiring being tethered to the plane. "Windy" in winter is much worse than summer too as i soon loose dexterity in the cold. Last weekend I flew the Wots Wot XL ARTF in a nice steady around 12mph wind . The Flying was fine but I would not want to rig a biplane like that in any more wind. When you put wings on the ground they can be blown away. I'm happy flying my Acrowot kit version up to about 15mph but more than that makes our exposed site unpleasant and a hassle assembling models. I also don't like to do "adventurous " flying in strong wind so I certainly do fewer flights and drink more tea in the clubhouse ! For me the most important thing is whether it is gusty. A steady wind is fine but gusts are beyond my skill set!

My "personal best" was flying in the aftermath of the famous, Michael Fish hurricane.. The wind was blowing at 70mph when a buddy called round and bet me £5 that (even) I wouldn't fly in that sort of wind. .

With the gauntlet well and truly thrown down, I grabbed my Screamer (own design low winger) which, as the name implied, flew with an excellent turn of speed. . . It was too windy to stand up so we knelt down, and the flag on the end of the Tx aerial had to be removed or the aerial might have snapped.

The downwind passes were spectacular to say the least. face 1 . . . and I won my fiver. yes

B.C.

the wind itself is another factor (I know but bear with me).. I find summer stiff winds very bumpy with turbulent rollers often low down trying to catch you out when landing, but other times of year despite being breezy, it can actually be a smooth wind..

I dont understand the boom in lightweight electric stuff in the UK when our weather is conversely suited. I have all sorts of models, and keep a log, and the ones flown least are the lightweight 3D stuff, as light wind days are few and far between. Yes they will fly fine in a wind, but it turns into a battle and point proving rather than enjoying what they were designed to be good at.

40-60 size nitros with some inertia seem to be better suited to my situation of when I can fly and the weather I am experiencing.

Posted by Martyn K on 28/09/2016 09:37:50:

The BMFA limit is 25knots or about 27mph.

I have definitely flown in conditions exceeding that. I have often wondered what the outcome would be if I had an accident while flying in windy weather that exceeds BMFA guidelines. Would I still be insured or considered to be partially culpable for flying in conditions that exceed the limit set by the BMFA.

Martyn

That limit is only in relation to radio controlled public model flying displays. The general advice is '

(s) Take extra care when flying in adverse weather
conditions. It is easy to lose sight of your model in
fog or low cloud. Strong winds and turbulence can
be a stimulating challenge but can catch out the unwary'

Personally I find 15knots comfortable, above that I find other things to do.

For many years up to 1990 I was a very enthusiastic dinghy racer. Apart from weekends we had handicap or pursuit races on Wednesday evenings in summer and it seemed then that as soon as the 10 minute gun went (actually a buzzer!) the wind did too. I hated drifting around lying in the bottom of the boat heeling it in an attempt to get some aerodynamic shape to the sails.

I started aeromodelling in 1995 in an attempt to find a sailing substitute and now the wind never seems to stop blowing, even in what were once windless summer evenings. I like the sort of models that are not very wind friendly but I've had to tolerate the wind and I have a few models I'll fly in most conditions - Riot and Limbo Dancer are the current favourites but I've been pleasantly surprised by my new Ballerina build as well as, surprisingly, my DB Tiger Moth. Though the latter not quite so much.

Actual wind strength? Not sure in speed but I suspect most unmeasured estimates are exaggerations. I made an anemometer for my sailing club and members were surprised how slow the winds they found challenging were - 15 knots (Beaufort 4) is very sporty in a 14' over powered dinghy. I think flying 40/60 size models in winds over 12/15 mph is difficult. It's not so much the speed (if it's steady the model doesn't know it's blowing once in the air) but turbulence often gets worse as speed increases, particularly near the ground and it's that which causes the problems.

Geoff

There are many variables in this this question , firstly you need confidence in both your air craft and your flying skills , then the wind direction and whether the wind is steady or gusty . And of course as has been already mentioned your flying site setting . I some times push myself to fly in strong winds because I like the challenge and does improve the skills.

Hi, For me its not the wind speed that's the issue, but the gusts so if its blowing a constant 20 mph down the runway it makes the down wind leg fast and landing easy. However it could be 10 mph gusting 25 mph cross wind and almost impossible to land a high wing foamy in the cross wind.

So to help me I use a "to fly factor" which is the gust speed squared, divided by the average wind speed off the met office web site!

That way it could be 20 mph average, gusting 25 (=31.5) which IMHO is more flyable than 15 average gusting 25 (=41.7). I just plug the numbers into a spread sheet for the week ahead and see which are the best days to fly!

Normal cut off is if the factor is greater than 40, I'll give it a miss unless I get the delta wing out (Yeti) and do some stick wiggling!

PS the spread sheets gives some interesting historical data, like only a 40% chance of flyable conditions based on the factor 40 threshold for this year.

The bottom line is..."is it safe to fly" after that are you prepared to do the long walk with the bin liner!

At our club field the wind direction is critical, due to nearby hedges and trees. As mentioned above, it is the turbulence that really matters. If the windsock is flapping about it gives an indication of the amount of turbulence.

I have on a few occasions had my model flipped upside down in the air, which gets the adrenaline going.

In a steady breeze it is fun to try to get a light model to drift backwards downwind.

Years ago in Cape Town I recall landing my model, and with the 40 engine idling, the wind would blow the model backwards down the runway, ready to take off again! Fun times.

But my favourite type of wind is of course none at all.

I have flown in wind gusting to 30 mph as checked ona dwyer wind meter. IT was the roight model for it.

Far more important is at what stage doe the enjoyment go and these days it tends to be a wind of over 15 mph with gusts above that.

The models can handle it. My Gold Fever racer was flown in wind gusting to over 20 mph but I was not enjoying it and that is the factor that matters to me.

My most local power site is on higer ground than surrounding and is also tree ringed, so suffers badly in wind above 12mph base speed (accurate , meter reading not subjective), especially if gusty.

But then I'd be off to a slope anyway.

The other day at a slope I had people telling me it was "over 50mph". I wandered away and used my calibrated wind meter..............................barely 20 on gusts.

A couple of weeks back at a power field, people were adamant that the wind was "strong, above 15 near 20", the wind meter showed 8 base lulling to 5 with occasional gusts to 10. This was "far too much" apparently.

I say its too much when its too much, if you get my drift!!

Posted by Dave Bran on 28/09/2016 15:53:00:

My most local power site is on higer ground than surrounding and is also tree ringed, so suffers badly in wind above 12mph base speed (accurate , meter reading not subjective), especially if gusty.

But then I'd be off to a slope anyway.

The other day at a slope I had people telling me it was "over 50mph". I wandered away and used my calibrated wind meter..............................barely 20 on gusts.

A couple of weeks back at a power field, people were adamant that the wind was "strong, above 15 near 20", the wind meter showed 8 base lulling to 5 with occasional gusts to 10. This was "far too much" apparently.

I say its too much when its too much, if you get my drift!!

Yes, I agree that others say it is blowing at over 10 mph and Dwyer wind meter says about 8 or less

Edited By Peter Miller on 28/09/2016 18:11:21

On the field that I fly if the wind is straight down the main runway I have flown in 25 mph (Measured) winds. On the other hand if the wind is from a nearby wood 5 mph is nearly unflyable due to turbulence.

It is very common to over estimate wind speed before I had my Anemometer, I always over estimated the wind speed.

Rich2: I think a lot of it is the perceived value of the model. You think of your Wot4 foamie as being relatively easy to replace in both money and time just as I think of my Riot so you're prepared to risk flying and you get away with it. Although my Ballerina cost very little to scratch build it took a lot of time (I'm a slow builder) so, although it handles wind quite well, I'm still a bit nervous in marginal conditions. My Limbo Dancer was scratch built, too, but it was a few years ago and didn't take long (about 2 weeks max) so I'm not too bothered if it gets damaged.

A lot of 'stuff' is all in your head but it's still 'stuff' even when you're aware of it.

Geoff