Another crackpot drone idea or a good idea

Martin Whybrow

As Denis says, the first link doen't work for some of us. Try this link: **LINK**

As this skier very nearly discovered, having a drone overhead can have its disadvantages:

I'm sure there will be a lot of couples who take exception to a drone disturbing their nocturnal liaisons. However if you could summon a drone to illuminate someone breaking into your house or car it might have its uses, which could be Direct Line's real interest.

Percy,

What make you think the drone will have a pilot? The new generation of drones available to us now are GPS locked and are autonomous with gesture recognition + can be controlled by a smart phone. It will just follow the phone that it paired with and follow it.

More likely to be other issues like the nuisance of lights from drones buzzing everywhere & other car drivers crashing as you follow them with half a dozen drones above you!

Might have some uses for the emergency services though.

Having looks at it and considered the rows about drones now it seems that A) it might work a bit but I can see it running out of battery power half way home.

It looks like another way of screwing the gullible technophiles out of some more cash.

"Daddy! I want one to light me home from schoolt!! All the other kids have one"!!!!

Posted by Peter Miller on 22/11/2016 21:37:27:

Having looks at it and considered the rows about drones now it seems that A) it might work a bit but I can see it running out of battery power half way home.

It looks like another way of screwing the gullible technophiles out of some more cash.

"Daddy! I want one to light me home from schoolt!! All the other kids have one"!!!!

Why would they need a torch in the back of mums 4x4/people carrier ?

Perhaps the most telling comment in the pdf was -

4. Fleetlights technology has been made available as an open source project to allow the entire dev community to introduce the new advancements needed to make the service a reality.

-----don't hold your breath--------

Posted by MaL on 22/11/2016 21:58:33:

Perhaps the most telling comment in the pdf was -

4. Fleetlights technology has been made available as an open source project to allow the entire dev community to introduce the new advancements needed to make the service a reality.

-----don't hold your breath--------

I can see the idea working for a limited number of applications but currently it does not work. same as the idea of a camera drone following you and filming you from above whilst lock onto a signal from your phone. probable nice ideas but far from being available yet

As I watched, transfixed, I thought, the driver will be blinded by the glare and clean up the woman or riders. But no. I think multi rotors, will have their uses. If applications such as this will come to pass, we will just have to wait and see.

In this part of the world,in civilian hands, they are used for shark patrols and I believe the Police and Fire Brigade use them at some crime scenes.

I heard the other week that 10 High Schools will be offering multi rotor flying as a subject for the HSC from 2017. I wish that was offered when I did it.

The sky, it seems, is the limit.