Am I drinking too much?

ted hughes

Well done Ted. You have taken the first step towards recovery and I mean recovery. I used to have an alcohol dependency, drinking around 60 units a week. I finally ended up in hospital with alcoholic hepatitus, losing a stone in weight in 10 days and wondering if I was going to survive.

I did, took it as a wake up call and gave up drinking. It is the hardest thing I have ever done having been a life long toper, but it has been worth all the pain, frustration and need for a drink. (You don't know you need a drink until you can't have one. It gnaws at you).

Three years later I feel better than I have for years. I am more active, have more patience and am able to cope with life. I still have trouble losing weight but that could be the subject for another thread!

Good luck Ted. I am with you all the way.

Pete

Posted by Broken Prop on 15/02/2017 11:55:11:

Well done Ted. You have taken the first step towards recovery and I mean recovery. I used to have an alcohol dependency, drinking around 60 units a week. I finally ended up in hospital with alcoholic hepatitus, losing a stone in weight in 10 days and wondering if I was going to survive.

I did, took it as a wake up call and gave up drinking. It is the hardest thing I have ever done having been a life long toper, but it has been worth all the pain, frustration and need for a drink. (You don't know you need a drink until you can't have one. It gnaws at you).

Three years later I feel better than I have for years. I am more active, have more patience and am able to cope with life. I still have trouble losing weight but that could be the subject for another thread!

Good luck Ted. I am with you all the way.

Pete

Thanks for this.

I shall report back tomorrow after the appointment.

Ted, couple of things, driving yourself will be an extremely risky business, take a taxi.

I went on the wagon in 2015, my consumption wasn't as much as yours, maybe a bottle of wine every other day but I've found several home truths, my model building doesn't get as botched, I've got more free cash and I'm hypocritical.

Incidentally beware of the lemonade, it has more additives than you can shake a stick at, especially the diet version.

All best wishes that you can shake the habit, time passes more slowly on the wagon but chances are more of it will pass.

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 15/02/2017 15:03:47

The various comments on driving (and modelling) performance reminded me of the effects I noticed before my allergy turned nasty. In my gliding days, I prided myself on my landings (made up a bit for my rather average prowess as a cross-country/competition pilot!) but on two occasions, I got into a horrible pilot induced oscillation situation, bouncing merrily along the grass runway several times to my considerable embarrassment but fortunately without damage to me or my machine.

These two occasions both followed rather serious party situations the night before - although I'd more than complied with the 8 hours "bottle to throttle" (if you count the tug pilot's contribution!) guideline, I'm sure it was no coincidence.

I have to wonder how many times I (and maybe many of the rest of us) unwittingly broke the drink/drive laws on the way to work over the years...

Posted by Jonathan M on 15/02/2017 09:56:51:

"Its not how much you drink, but how much you need it".

Ted, I think you perhaps subconsciously realised, before posting, that the amount you are consuming is way too much, though you perhaps were unaware of the health risk it poses to you; hopefully the forum members have got this across by now. I must admire you for having the guts to raise such a topic on a forum, but personally, I'm glad you did.

The quote Jonathan made is a very good point indeed. Many many years ago, in my late teens/early 20's, my alcohol consumption increased such that i was drinking 70 pints a week, every week. I didn't think I had a problem at the time and if anyone had suggested that it was excessive or that, frankly, I was becomming, if not had become, dependent on drink, I would have scoffed and told them it was rubbish. But in reality, the fact was that I had to get to the pub every night, come hell or high water, because to go to work the day after without doing so was simply not an option for me. It took a lot for me to recognise I had a problem but now, looking back, I see it for what it was. So, take heed of the comments being made here Ted, all made out of genuine concern for you, a fellow modeller, and go and have a chat with your GP before you are forced to, through drink related health issues.

Edited By Mannyroad on 15/02/2017 19:36:27

Hi Ted

A bottle of Vodka (for a small number of years) a day killed my mum and that was 5 years after she was forced to give up (we had to move her into care as she was incapable of looking after herself). She only saw it as a problem when we found her with a broken leg at the foot of her stairs. Apart from the fact her character and personality had changed, the impact of her drinking had on her family and friends was horrendous.

Addiction to any drug is an illness and you need professional help. You have made the first step by recognising there may be a problem, please get some help.

Good luck

Martyn

Hi Ted,

Well done for taking that first step and seeking help - I hope the meeting with your GP went well. Alcohol dependence is very common and it's is an easy trap to fall into. There's lots of help out there and I'm sure your GP will be able to put you in contact with appropriate support services. Feel free to message me if not and I'll try and signpost you in the right direction. The main thing is you've taken that first step. Anyway, back to the patients

Good luck,

Ben

Posted by David Davis on 16/02/2017 12:16:33:

How did the meeting with the doctor go Ted?

John, I am pleased David and others are showing an interest:

The GP slapped me across the face and shouted "stop wasting time that could be spent with genuine patients!"

No, not really.

Apparently drinking excessively is a growing problem with reasonably affluent retirees - we don't need to get up to go to work and don't miss the money!

Things went well- she debated a home detox- I didn't need it as had already quit 48 hrs without problems.

Prescribed Trazedone, which helps with sleep without being addictive.

I no longer drink alcohol and feel much, much better-mentally as well as physically.

Thanks for all the encouragement and kind words from this forum.