Am I drinking too much?

ted hughes

Not about models, but there is a lot of wisdom on this site.

I was wondering whether I might be drinking too much?

When I retired a couple of years ago, I would occasionally buy a half bottle of vodka, and drink it with lemonade in the evening.

These last few months, I have realized I have been buying a whole bottle each night (70cl bottle),drinking all but a half-inch or so, which I finish in the morning.

It doesn't really affect me, as I don't drive first thing, and I still do my chore like muck out the horses and take the dogs out in the day.

I do forget what I may have posted late at night though, it is sometimes a surprise to see what I have posted on various sites.

I also tend to think about doing things, rather than doing them.

What do people think,harmless, or should I knock it on the head?

Ted, there are 28 units of alcohol in a standard bottle of vodka (700ml and 40% proof). You are consuming a bottle a day if you are finishing it off AM and starting another PM. That is 28 units a day or 196 units a week if you do this every day. The government guidelines is 14 units a week (two a day) which research has shown is actually beneficial but a bottle a day or even half a bottle is unsustainable unfortunately, as it will not be good for your health. I am sure you appreciate this. It's also expensive, just think how many modelling goodies you could buy with all the dosh!

Trying to 'knock it on the head' is a good idea but more easier said than done, so you could consider making an appointment with your GP to get some blood tests done. This will provide information about your present liver function etc. and give you advise and encouragement as to how you can achieve this.

Posted by Jon Laughton on 15/02/2017 08:13:38:

I try not to judge others - it's a recipe for arguments that go nowhere

Please judge yourself- but not here

Go elsewhere, why?

I said at the beginning it was not model related.

People often ask questions about planning consent, cars,occasionally health-related. etc.

I'll be even money I'm not the only person over-drinking here, it is so common!

I just wanted a few lay opinions- feel free to ignore this thread.

I wasn't being judgemental Jon, just putting some numbers on the information supplied by Ted, I thought it might be helpful as Ted had been up-front enough to ask the question. I don't do arguments.

As Ted said, over imbibing by retirees is a common problem, just as youth drinking is nowadays. More open informed discussion is the way forward.

Good luck Ted. 

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 15/02/2017 08:49:56

You have politely asked for advise and it should be politely given.

As others have said best advise is to consult your GP, have known several people over the years that had a unacknowledged drink problem, its not harmless.

I was brought up in the pub trade and watching people from the other side of the bar encourages you to be careful of drink. Wishing you well Ted

hello ted...I know nothing about you apart from the fact you and I fly model aircraft etc....you've asked for opinions about your drinking habit....here go's...

I think you know already that you are playing Russian roulette with your body.whats going to happen going forward?...you may get away with it but then again you may not you'll probably have major health problems..ie possibly lose your sight, become immobile are lose your liver...and then it will be too late,if you have family you'll become a massive burden on them...and they'll finally lose the ted they knew.

my advice is play with the winning cards you have at the min and enjoy your self...... if you equate a bottle of Vodka a day with pleasure .... then bigger fool you..

I've seen people go down the swannee by abusing drink...and its not pretty...so have a look in the mirror my old son and man up and knock it on the head...... have an occasional one but that's it..... you are worth more here than 6ft under!

and think of all the money that you're going to save for better things...let us know the outcome...good or bad please

ken Anderson...ne....1 good advice for Ted Hughes dept.

PS...your one bottle a day will turn to two etc..... kulou

Edited By ken anderson. on 15/02/2017 09:09:16

I had a friend who died three years ago of liver failure and he drank much less than that...........

I am not being judgemental, there is no judgement to be made. If you are really drinking that much, you are way over the top and that's a fact! Take a look at this site and make up your own mind.......

http://www.drinkfox.com/information/alcohol-metabolism

If you choose to kill yourself, that is your decision but if you drive at all the next day you will still be way over the limit and a danger to others. Either admit that you are winding us up or get some help.

Sorry, but somebody had to say it!

I don't tend to moralise about others (I drink regularly but moderately and used to love smoking).  But I learnt something from a close relative who had a drink problem in his 20's and has been dry for a quarter-century now: "Its not how much you drink, but how much you need it".

Although this should surely be in (or moved by a Mod to) 'Chit-Chat', we now live in a world where people feel more comfortable raising stuff publicly than they did before. If the responses to the OP suggest that he has a significant problem, then recognition of that is good thing.

His next step could be to say exactly the same thing to his GP.

Jon

PS - I considered whether this might be a wind-up, but, on reflection, I suspect it isn't - why damage one's reputation by wasting everyone's time?

Edited By Jonathan M on 15/02/2017 10:01:28

It's easy for me to moralise - my body started rejecting alcohol some years ago and, from allergy symptoms, it progressed to making me violently sick a few days after drinking even a small amount so I'm now teetotal - but I agree that this sort of consumption cannot be healthy. The important thing is that you have realised that there is a problem and I'd guess that you're really looking for some encouragement.

I do agree that you're in danger of driving over the legal limit and I'm sure you wouldn't want to have an accident on your conscience. According to this site it takes, on average, one hour for a unit of alcohol to leave the body - which suggests that you will always have a significant amount of alcohol in your blood.

Have a chat with your GP - there are organisations ready to help and you should do well as you have already realised that you have a problem.

To those who have made light of this problem or been unsympathetic - I'm sorry, but I think you need to examine your own motives and morals.

My uncle went through a similar experience with gin. he is now a shadow of the man we all used to know and is more or less on deaths door with pretty much no liver left and other ailments related to it.

Without judgement i would echo the comments of the others and look for help and/or an alternative evening drink

Posted by GONZO on 15/02/2017 11:14:41:

That amount of alcohol taken regularly will kill you in a few years. No way to put it gently, I'm being deadly serious, literally. Please get help immediately!

Thanks for all the replies.

Gonzo, I kind of thought it was excessive!

I have made a GP appointment for tomorrow, shall see what she says.

Mods, please delete this thread if you think it best- I don't want to make people feel uncomfortable.

Congrats.Ted, you very bravely asked for advice, and I think you knew what the answer was going to be. You then took that advice and acted upon it straight away. 10out of 10 for that move.There is loads of help out there, but it is up to you and you alone to get the job done. Again, well done, I think you are now on the right road. Good luck. Cheers. Ps I don't feel at all uncomfortable.

Ted,

Firstly, you are a brave man to have admitted to your drinking habits on a public forum such as this. And by doing so I think you already know the answer to your own question.

Alcohol dependency, which is what you are describing, is insidious and creeps up on people unawares until it becomes a normal part of each day. As others have pointed out, you will have alcohol in your body 24/7 and I'm sorry to say it, but there is no way you should be driving;  you will be way over the limit and your driving will be severely impaired whether you think so or not.

Like others have said, please do take the next brave step and consult a professional to get help with the drinking before it''s too late. It's a long and hard road but the benefits far outweigh the difficulties.

All the best.

Steve.

Edited By Steve Colman on 15/02/2017 11:41:58

Edited By Steve Colman on 15/02/2017 11:42:38