Laser Engines - Technical questions

Jon H

4 hours ago, thebluemax said:

Roger that.  I have always gone with Jon's advice and never had an issue.  Just thought I would ask if this was a good possible solution to a low tank==> carb issue.

Low yank is ok, high tank is a problem. Most engines will draw fuel up hill better than they will be force fed it by gravity. 

Also a low tank becomes a high tank when the model is inverted, no problem, engine runs a little rich with gravity assist. High tank becomes a low tank when inverted so the engine runs lean and stops. 

• Like 1

Advert

1 hour ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

Every manufacturer seems to give similar advice which no doubt falls on many deaf ears - and is responsible for many dead sticks. I suspect that getting regular direct advice and feedback from Jon is the reason that there seems to be an emphasis on tank height for Lasers!

Yes and very welcome his advice is.

I suspect that Ron is correct in his answer as to why Lasers are more sensitive to tank positioning and engine orientation than other brands. It doesn't make Lasers in any way inferior, but it does mean that more care is required or at least that they need to be treaded slightly different.

4 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

Is that because the Saito spray bar is a lot closer to the engine C/L?

6 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Low tank is ok, high tank is a problem. Most engines will draw fuel up hill better than they will be force fed it by gravity. 

Also a low tank becomes a high tank when the model is inverted, no problem, engine runs a little rich with gravity assist. High tank becomes a low tank when inverted so the engine runs lean and stops. 

Thanks Jon as always.  I should have said tank==> carb issues not low tank==> carb issues.  Especially when the fuel running from the carb when filling it or whatever is left after the flight just sitting on the ground when the tank==> carb setup it isn't right.  More so a problem in a cowled setup versus no cowling on the plane. 

Do not need "Murphy's Law "to kick in although "Froeder's Law" (that's me) says Murphy was an optimist..... 

Thanks again.  Enjoy the day guys and stay safe.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Andy Joyce said:

Jon, looking for a domed nut for an old laser 75. Can you advise the shaft thread size please.

Should be 5/16x24 unf. To double check, grab a nut off of an OS or ASP as they use 5/16

Just after some thoughts on this. I flew the Taylor Typhoon yesterday for the first time with the Laser 155.

I noticed after each flight some oil/fuel from the spinner along the top of the cowl, so im guessing coming from the front bearing. Also there was quite an oil slick out of the exhaust which i wasn't expecting on the low oil fuel.(Laser 120 runs very clean) Its a new 155, the fuel tank is in the wing, so its the correct height for the carb. 

The engine runs a treat by the way as you would expect. 

Regards

IMG_20190512_105147.jpg

• Like 1

Nice Tiffy! 

Its unusual for a 155 to be that messy, especially on the 'diet' fuel. As the other guys have suggested double check its tuned up as far as it will go. Also if you have a 2 foot breather pipe (which you might on a typhoon) its possible its blocked with oil and the pressure in the crankcase has blown the seal out of the front bearing. If so you should be able to pop the seal back in with a thin/flat poker in the gap between the bearing and prop driver. 

Yes...but their 15lb suggested weight is a fantasy. Expect 17-18lbs. 

The La7 in my profile pic was about 19lbs when i flew it with a 180. Flew fine but spent more time at full power than i would have liked. Its like a missile now with a 300v 

2 hours ago, Manish Chandrayan said:

Jon, you wish to part with that 300 ??  A friend has been looking for one 

sorry cant sell it. Its made with all the parts i dropped down the stairs and were no good for sale. Also, as my experiment with the SC radial failed again its going back in the la7

The other guys have covered it pretty well but the 180 would waltz through powering the Seagull Ryan. Slap a 20x6 on it and waft around at probably half throttle or less. The 7kg they claim i suspect is a fantasy, but even at 9kg the 180 would be fine as that sort of model is intended to fly with its wings and not its prop. 

Beyond that, yea, any 80ish inch span aerobatic thing similar to the acrowot or extra, One of the big 45cc black horse chipmunks would be easy for a 180 as well. 

Depends what you are after really. Slow and floaty, scale and swoopy, fast and flippy?