Laser Engines - Technical questions

Jon H

What type of remote glow plug connector with flying lead is recommended when using an OS F plug on a Laser 70. Finding the type I have been using in the past on other Laser engines with a forward facing plug are now prone to disconnecting on the Laser 70 which has the plug in a vertical orientation.

By the way the lower tank on my Hurricane worked a treat for two flights. Unfortunately pilot error due to disorientation caused a catastrophic crash on the third flight so will not have to worry about tank height for a while.

Yet to test the engine as the needle has snapped so need to find a replacement if anybody knows a source. Did buy one from a guy in Leighton Buzzard some years back but he is no longer listing them on ebay and I don't have his contact details.

Edited by Andy Joyce

Does Neil dabble in engine repair Martin as seem to recall he person I purchased the needle from offered to do a service on my old Laser?

As for croc clips Paul cant see that working as there is very little space between the cylinder head and the cowl.

11 hours ago, Andy Joyce said:

By the way the lower tank on my Hurricane worked a treat for two flights. Unfortunately pilot error due to disorientation caused a catastrophic crash on the third flight so will not have to worry about tank height for a while.

Yet to test the engine as the needle has snapped so need to find a replacement if anybody knows a source. Did buy one from a guy in Leighton Buzzard some years back but he is no longer listing them on ebay and I don't have his contact details.

There is a bloke on eBay who makes piston rings. His name is Gavin Carter and he trades as gaviscool. He also makes needles for Super Tigre engines. I must get a pair for my 150 V.

10 hours ago, Andy Joyce said:

Thanks Ron, I have a box of springs sol will give that a try. Àssume spring steel can be soldered otherwise I can fabricate some form of mechanical joint to the flying lead.

Self tappers (posted again due to forum technical issues!)

Tried the smallest spring I had and found it very difficult to get it secured onto the plug but was not happy with the arrangement as bending the spring would force it off the plug.

Have a commercial remote glow connector coming in the post so will see if that s any better.

Regarding the ST needle have used Gavin in the past for piston rings so will drop him a message.

59 minutes ago, J D 8 said:

A method I use is an electrical "chock block". One screw holds onto the plug the other the feed wire. Plastic needs to be trimmed on the plug end to fit.

I use this method but I strip off the plastic and use only the metal terminal with the addition of a fibre washer to prevent it from touching the base of the plug.

2 hours ago, Steve Dunne said:

I find the Fastrax Remote glow clip extender works very well on all my Laser engine installations.

Easy to fit, easy to remove, available from many model shops for around £8.

Remote Glow Clip Extender With Ground Wire

Steve

I have used several of those but have found that as they are a very close fit in the opening in the fins the insulation eventually rubs off and results in the fitting shorting out so I’ve ended up replacing them. If they were a mm less in diameter then they would be great.

What rpm on the ground should I expect from my 180 turning a 18 x 6  APC wide? I have been doing some general maintenance on my P47 and ran the engine up in the garden yesterday. I recently got around to putting a battery in my tacho so was able to take a reading for once. I couldn’t achieve more than 6950rpm. TBH I haven’t really felt this particular engine has been giving its full potential, so interested to know what rpm others are getting. I have a new Falcon 18 X 6 that I shall fit and try today, perhaps that will improve things.

Hi Jon

I have a Laser 150. A bit old but it has given me sterling service in a Flair 1/4 scale Tiggy.

Unfortunately it let me down for the first time today. It seemed to lose power in flight but landed with the engine still running.

I tried to restart but it didn’t seem to have any compression. Then I tried again (without the glow lead on ) and the compression was there. I flicked the prop many times and sometimes compression, sometimes not.

My first thought was a valve sticking, but I have had the cover off and all seems well in that department. Is  there a piston ring which could be sticking/ broken?

Is there anything a reasonable experienced amateur can do, other than send it to you?

Thanks David

Hi David

Broken valve spring seems a likely candidate, that or some debris ingestion but my money is on a spring dropping a coil. It sounds like a full service would do it good but there is a bit of a lead time on that at the moment. 

Nick, i expect 7200-7400rpm on 18x8 menz props but have never tried the APC. Customers tell me it works well but i have never run one myself. 

i think the needle type apc does about 7700? so i would probably expect about 7400 on the broader one?? i cant say for sure as its impossible for me to test every prop under the sun. It does seem a little slow though and if you arent satisfied pop it back and ill take a look.