Electric Cars.

Cuban8

13 minutes ago, Learner said:

Not a suprise from the anti i.c brigade

Don't worry - Rishi has kicked the can down the road on new petrol and diesel cars by another 5 years at least, and has also scrapped a whole load of things that were never actually going to happen as a bonus...

May be a Twitter screenshot of 2 people, bread, newsroom and text that says "Edward Parker Humphreys @edwardparkerh 23h "the proposal to make your nan run around in a giant hamster wheel to generate renewable energy? i've scrapped it" LIVE DOWN NGSTREE 1 00C NEWS BREAKING Rishi Sunak net zero press conference 7 山 222"

Result - Anyone over the age of ~60 should now be able to avoid owning an EV if they don't want to...  😉🤣

Edited by MattyB
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, MattyB said:

Don't worry - Rishi has kicked the can down the road on new petrol and diesel cars by another 5 years at least, and has also scrapped a whole load of things that were never actually going to happen as a bonus...

May be a Twitter screenshot of 2 people, bread, newsroom and text that says "Edward Parker Humphreys @edwardparkerh 23h "the proposal to make your nan run around in a giant hamster wheel to generate renewable energy? i've scrapped it" LIVE DOWN NGSTREE 1 00C NEWS BREAKING Rishi Sunak net zero press conference 7 山 222"

Result - Anyone over the age of ~60 should now be able to avoid owning an EV if they don't want to...  😉🤣

Damn I'm only 59

Gosh I didn't mean to cause a stir when I posted my findings after my first month of EV ownership and I certainly never meant to post in order to brag about being able to buy one! As this is an electric vehicle thread, I just thought that my findings arising out of my EV use may be of interest.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

Gosh I didn't mean to cause a stir when I posted my findings after my first month of EV ownership and I certainly never meant to post in order to brag about being able to buy one! As this is an electric vehicle thread, I just thought that my findings arising out of my EV use may be of interest.

My fault, I forget a tongue in cheek remark on here can cause lots of dummy spitting.

54 minutes ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

No skin in this one, but...Rishis only done the first kick of the can, be more to follow and not a Cat in hells chance of being delivered on time, whatever on time means today.

Interesting that the quota targets for manufacturers is still in place so they've got to keep making / selling EVs or get fined £15k per car.

Edited by Ron Gray
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

Interesting that the quota targets for manufacturers is still in place so they've got to keep making / selling EVs or get fined £15k per car.

As I said Ron, I am not anti E.V, quotas are numbers, they get set for a variety of things, waiting lists, surgery, women being paid the same as men. 69 years on the planets taught me to mistrust the sellers vision as being optimistic, quotas/rules change all the time to suit agendas and occasionally, facts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kicking the can down the road.

I dont think so. A bit of reflection and some proper debate wouldnt go amiss. I cannot afford an alternative heat source and legislation to fine landlords!!!

Central government and councils should be plastering their infrastructure with solar panels and wind turbines.

And its all very well to say that charging ability will make its way into the Countryside and smaller villages and hamlets.

Ask the same villages and hamlets were their faster broadband is.

The green levy has really worked!

Edited by Zflyer

32 minutes ago, Zflyer said:

Kicking the can down the road.

I dont think so. A bit of reflection and some proper debate wouldnt go amiss. I cannot afford an alternative heat source and legislation to fine landlords!!!

Central government and councils should be plastering their infrastructure with solar panels and wind turbines.

And its all very well to say that charging ability will make its way into the Countryside and smaller villages and hamlets.

Ask the same villages and hamlets were their faster broadband is.

The green levy has really worked!

Proper debate ? Good luck with that Z, this ones a biggie n has massive impact on lives and requires joined up thinking, cooperation on a massive scale, best we'll get is a catchy slogan. On a Lecky bus maybe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric Robson said:

If it takes as long to install the infrastructure to go all electric as is taking for HS2 we will still be depending on ic cars in 2050

HS 2 is a vanity project. If you built another 125 mph line from  London to Birmingham, no tech headaches, no noise issues, less land use.,If the trains are all the same speed, they can pass at short interval. End result, about 15 to 20 minutes slower, billions of quid cheaper. Also one day, the accident is less catastrophic. But the engineering companies on the gravy train are not complaining.

• Like 3

Just now, Don Fry said:

HS 2 is a vanity project. If you built another 125 mph line from  London to Birmingham, no tech headaches, no noise issues, less land use.,If the trains are all the same speed, they can pass at short interval. End result, about 15 to 20 minutes slower, billions of quid cheaper. Also one day, the accident is less catastrophic. But the engineering companies on the gravy train are not complaining.

Gravy train is most consistent train we have. 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

Does the cheaper electricity used to charge at night, cost less to produce ?

The electricity does not cost less, its just there is less demand so the price goes down as most of the UK generation can't be brought on or backed off quickly!

PS don't forget some generator companies are paid to run, but not produce electricity.....just in case a popular TV program ends and everyone sticks the kettle on! Followed by sewerage companies getting the other end result 30 min later 

3 minutes ago, Chris Walby said:

PS don't forget some generator companies are paid to run, but not produce electricity.....just in case a popular TV program ends and everyone sticks the kettle on!

I would imagine in these days of on-demand streaming that must be a dramatically less prevalent occurrence. Only the odd major sporting event (e.g. World Cup Final) or nationwide event like the Coronation would trigger it. We almost never watch live TV now, it is all streamed. My youngest (now 9) didn’t even understand the concept of waiting for her programme to come on when she was little and arrived at Granny and Grandada where there wasn’t a streaming device! 😂

3 hours ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

No skin in this one, but...Rishis only done the first kick of the can, be more to follow and not a Cat in hells chance of being delivered on time, whatever on time means today.

On time according to him is still net zero on or before 2050. Problem is that these changes now put us way behind the curve to achieve that, with nothing in the announcement that describes how we then bring it back on track. 

IMG_2250.png.0b633f682bbe202883060756fe4631ef.png

• Thanks 1