fav model of all time

just thought I'd post this for a bit of fun........of all the models you've had since you started modelling if you could only have one of them what would it be.? (doesn't matter what category, could be f/f, c/l, r/c etc ....anything goes)

I'll kick things off by saying mine is Irvine 53 powered hanger 9 Aresti

Advert

At the moment it's the DB 58" ws Cirrus Moth (built as a Gypsy Moth) I built over winter this year and maidened early last month. I haven't counted but I think it must be up to around 50 8 to 10 minute flights so far (6 today and 8 last Monday for instance).

Of course it may change when I build something else

Geoff

My favourite model actually turned out to be a bit of a surprise as it was just a wackjob experiment I thought of one night lying in bed. I have always been keen on flying wings. Although just a small part of my modelling interests I do get a bit carried away with them - **LINK**

So, I was thinking of making something scalish, but getting scratch built flying wings performing well is quite a challenge, so I decided to see if I could mod an existing design. I added some winglets (inspired by the B&V designs) to an X-8 FPV ship and came up with this 2.8m w/s brute that I call the B&V 219.

bv11.jpg flyby4.jpg

It is a great park and club flyer, sloper and, on account of a fairly low wing loading, thermaller.

Vladimir Models Elf DLG. Tons of performance packed into a small model utilising only 2ch. I have had flights lasting hours. I have thermalled it to a speck from my first throw of the day. No fuel or large batteries required. The only drawback is it isn’t any good in breezier weather.

Favourite model is a tricky one as it really depends on criteria, but if I am only allowed one it would have to be my old and tired Black Horse Speed Air.

ready to fly.jpg

Its was originally electric and a great workhorse for getting me through my B + lots and lots of hours practicing all types of moves, but always without any vices.

It now has a new lease of life (for an old dog!) with a Laser 70 and again flies without vices despite my new boy ham fisted engine tuning. Tough as old boot, fly in almost any weather, no vices and flies electric or IC depending the resources available on your desert island!

Others are better in certain departments, but to just turn up and fly in "British" weather it would have to be an all-rounder like this but that's just my opinion wink

Got to be my Goldberg Super Chipmunk. Built over twenty years old and still flying on its original engine, a Magnum .91FS although its on its second set of bearings. Converted to 2.4 a few years ago. Just a very nice model with no vices and will fly in more or less any weather. Does everything asked of it without fuss. Keep promising to get a new cowl for it as the original vac formed one is looking a bit tired now.

My favourite model is the Lou Andrews "Aeromaster" Biplane, I have had at least five since the early 1970's Some built from plans one from the Great Planes "Super Aeromaster" kit. The one I have currently I bought second hand, I recovered it and used the bottom wing from my previous version as I prefer the double swept wing look. I ended up building a new top wing as the original developed a warp which I could not correct.

I love the way they fly, fully aerobatic, flicks are wicked but will land very slowly. - Superb!

My favourite model was a Free Flight A/2 glider (now known as F1A class) designed by Mike Reeves in 1969 or 1970.I built my first one when I was at School (we had an aeromodelling class) and I eventually built 13 of them (or close derivatives) over about a period of about 15 years. I still have one left in the loft that I built in 1984 and last flew competitively in 1995

That is me on the left (aged 17) with the 4th one I built..

am-jan74.jpg

It was very distinctive because of its ultra short nose which gave incredible stall revovery.

humplehound.jpg

I became very good friends with Mike in the early 70's. He took me to my first contests and was very supportive

Sadly, he was killed in a full sized glider accident in the early 80's.

Martyn

For me it has to be the Flair D7 ,I used to build my models then until I became lazy with the ARTF.Yes I know I should go back to building but the ARTF are so convenient and the quality is a lot better these day

Edited By Rocker on 29/06/2018 11:05:59

Got to be two separate.

Control line, My Cavalier competition special biplane. One of a long series of biplanes that could fly the full competition schedule.

For R/C my Rhapsody. Looked like a vintage model flew fun aerobatics better than any other model The first in my Angels series

rhapsody.jpg

Mine was the CM Pro Giles 202 90-120. I loved that much that I bought it twice. The first one lost half elevator in flight (my fault, I didn't secure the cyano hinges...), and off it went right to the ground. I bought another one straightaway, and this time I secured everything properly.

I flew it with an OS MAX 90, with a Saito 115, with an OS 120FS and with a DLE 20. I think that because of the proportions (65" x 66", or 1.65m x 1.67m) she flew fantastic, like on tracks. Shame that I can't find it anymore...

Very difficult - like asking to choose a favourite child but for pure flying pleasure and visual aesthetics on that balmy desert island, I think I'd nominate my venerable Sterling Models Stearman which is estimated to date from around 1982 and was passed on to me by a downsizing and relocating clubmate as I'd always enjoyed flying it for him. It has a real patina that deliberate weathering just can't reproduce and has been flying on an RCV 91 for the last decade or so.

img-20180624-wa0009.jpgPictured flying last Saturday