Gatwick drone incident

Peter Miller

Advert

Not massively a fan of quads, have a few, can't beat a warbird, but nothing wrong with doing another discipline. After all variety is the spice of life.

There is no right and wrong type of model, just what you want to do. I the end a fixed wing model is just as "bad" as a quad, if you flying it without regards to others.

Posted by Erfolg on 21/12/2018 20:25:53:

If you see a fixed wing or helicopter model, you will have a very good idea from where they are operating. The volume of airspace that they operate within, is generally quite well defined. The types of models that us modelist use do not have a control system that allows predefined flight paths to be flown. Nor are they conceived with the ability to operate autonomously.

Although this and many other incidents involving quads has been noted and reported, there are many others which have not. Generally it would be assumed that only 10% are noted.

Actualy model aeroplanes were conceived to operate autonomously, some still do. Ask any free flight enthusiast. wink 2

The first ever (AFAIK) model flyer to be successfuly prosecuted by using evidence and advice of the CAA was operating a fixed wing model that had been flying FPV in an illegal manner (not LOS) over a prohibited area. The pilot claimed that he had lost control of it but footage from the onboard camera seemed to show several directional corrections that almost certainly indicated autonomous operation.
In several forum posts the pilot boasted of making a number of fixed wing autonomous flights at other times.

Then there's this thread **LINK**

In short : autonomous flight doesn't = quad ; nor does quad = autonomous flight.

And of course as you're probably 98.2% aware 97.3% of statistics are made up. teeth 2

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 21/12/2018 13:22:02

Just a reminder that here we play the topic, not the man, folks. Setting one forumite against another just hands the miscreants a further success over and above what they have already achieved - let's not give them the satisfaction, eh?smile

I didn't post this a couple of pages ago for my benefit, gents - try and stay on-topic and sensible, please

Pete

I think they should be afforded the same status as shotguns, ie need a police permit and medical clearance to operate and the punishment should mirror that meted out to perps who use imitation firearms in pursuit of their criminal activities.

There's just no place in society for someone to be able to illegally influence the legitimate activities of 100s of people in the way it's been done this week.

But first you gotta catch them haven't you.sarcastic 2

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 21/12/2018 21:34:09:
Posted by john stones 1 on 21/12/2018 21:20:22:
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 21/12/2018 20:56:57:

Rachael Riley off of Channel 4 show 'Countdown' was one of the people caught up in the chaos, so me must take it all seriously.

Bet she's in a vowel mood. crook

laugh

Consonantly...female

Edited By Martin Harris on 21/12/2018 22:24:29

Chaps, we're all missing a fantastic opportunity here. Remember how Hurricanes and Spitfires were scrambled in the Battle of Britain to counter aerial threats? Remember ch 4 Model Squadron? Who's up for FPV Spitfires flying up to capture/shoot down drones? How much would that raise our profile?

Sorry, only on my 2nd bottle tonight....

Posted by SONNY MONKS on 21/12/2018 20:26:29:

Why is it a silly question pat,express your opinion,thats what living in a so called democracy is all about,and going on forums!

Because it's childish, aggressive & refers to nothing I've posted.

PS you obviously don't understand the meaning of democracy.

Edited By PatMc on 21/12/2018 23:09:38

Posted by Andy Ellis 1 on 21/12/2018 22:23:44:

Chaps, we're all missing a fantastic opportunity here. Remember how Hurricanes and Spitfires were scrambled in the Battle of Britain to counter aerial threats? Remember ch 4 Model Squadron? Who's up for FPV Spitfires flying up to capture/shoot down drones? How much would that raise our profile?

Sorry, only on my 2nd bottle tonight....

Second bottle of what?? laugh

Andrew

I'm just worried my tiny racing quadcopter will get snagged in the aftermath. There is a big difference between an autonomous drone that will fly for 20+ minutes and a lightweight racing quad that does 2... Doubt I'll keep below 250g with a geofencing add-on!

In the interests of safety the runway must remain closed until the risk has been eliminated. This is affecting thousands of people for a considerable length of time.

We have recent EASA legislation which is supposed to deal with the "drone" issues but without effective enforcement serves no purpose other than to disproportionately penalise thousands of responsible model flyers across Europe, every day. Costly new legislation on top of pre-existing legislation has failed to curb the activities such as we are seeing today at Gatwick.

The questions arise: “If the money spent on legislation had instead been spent on detection and enforcement would the problem have been better dealt with” and “Will the money now have to be spent on detection and enforcement on top of legislation which has failed to be effective”.

In summary, thousands of people are being affected by disruption and legislation on top of legislation but detecting and penalising the few unlawful operators does not appear to have the priority it deserves. It's time to focus on what really matters and deal directly with the criminals involved.

We have, we are told, various flying surveillance aircraft in our military arsenal e.g AWACS, Rivet Joint, Sentinel etc..,which are capable of monitoring, recording and pinpointing hundreds of cellphone calls at a time.

Considering the scale and cost of the disruption at Gatwick would it not be prudent to get one of these to set their monitoring equipment (we know what r/c band they are using) and 'fly by' Gatwick and see what it could find. Yes, it would be expensive but only a fraction of the cost of the disruption and I bet they have the technology already in place in case a terrorist group choose to use this method.

The existing methods have not found the drone or caught the perpetrator....!!

Well now it seems to have ended aeromodellers need to be prepared for any new legislation. In particular qualifications for flying solo might become the requirement. 'A' certificate might be the least requirement , yet many clubs don't bother much about this. It would seem a good idea for all clubs to have this or another qualification in the club rules. Either we set the standard ourselves or it may be set for us - remember how expensive/difficult it is to be a professional drone operator.

Posted by kc on 22/12/2018 08:50:33:

Well now it seems to have ended aeromodellers need to be prepared for any new legislation. In particular qualifications for flying solo might become the requirement. 'A' certificate might be the least requirement , yet many clubs don't bother much about this. It would seem a good idea for all clubs to have this or another qualification in the club rules. Either we set the standard ourselves or it may be set for us - remember how expensive/difficult it is to be a professional drone operator.

Why would any of that have prevented this incident or reduced it’s impact? Do you seriously believe those responsible would have done anything different if this were in place?

Arguing in this direction is just adding in costly red tape for participants in legal recreational flying, and will undoubtedly reduce participation. The BMFA and others have rightly argued that such measures aren’t needed within the frameworks of the associations because of our excellent safety record; that was the basis on which the member exemptions to elements of the new regs were granted. Suddenly turning round and arguing for formal practice al competency testing for all would be a huge and embarrassing about face.