A bit of nostalgia

Advert

This is about 60 years old, showing the ravages of time.

wp_20190103_12_28_01_pro.jpg

Although the model was marketed as having a spindle moulded hull. The reality was that it was made from blocks of balsa, some of which were pretty much rough cut, requiring an incredible amount of sanding for a 13 year old boy, with a sheet of sandpaper, and some rusty old metal files. In the end it was done.

Probably the weakest bit is that the superstructure will have been balsa cemented together. The hull from something called Aero glue? A two pack adhesive, one a powder mixed with water, the other bit I think was probably acid based.

You have got it, KC, once you see it written down, then you remember.

Over the years I have considered cutting it in half and then adding a section. Like Cammell Lairds have done on a number of full size ships to lengthen them. Mainly as the forecastle area seemed to big. Then I have thought of buying some ISO freight containers and stacking them as you now see, entering Liverpool. Putting modern cranes on.

Then I just continue with the next model aircraft,

Anyway what would Phil Smith have thought.

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 03/01/2019 21:15:23:

Disagree. I never tried the stuff but a similarly aged 12 year old friend was trying to build a Junior 60 with it. I seem to remember that you mixed the powder with water to make a paste then added the acid as a catalyst. I stand to be corrected here. Can`t remember if I had breakfast today but-------.

Yep it stank Martin

Urea formaldehyde and acid

Cascamite, I can remember that glue we used it at school for our woodwork projects. In my first year at a Senior school I was given the job 'Glue Monitor' by our woodwork master. During one of the master's demonstrations he asked me to get the huge tin of Cascamite from the glue cupboard. Someone had left the lid on the tin loose so of course I dropped the tin and most of the white glue powder finished up on the floor. The other glue we used was made so we thought of horses hoofs and this glue had to be heated up and smelt awful.

As for Veron Models i still have a Mini Concord that needs refurbishing but other planes are likely to take precedence.

A mate & me made several household items as woodwork projects at a local school after we retired. The glue we used was Cascamite. The powder simply needs mixing with water in the correct ratio, it has a smell but not particularly strong or obnoxious. We usually prepared several sub assemblies that needed to be glued, mixed enough Cascamite for the lot, applied it where needed, clamped up the parts, wiped off any excess that oozed out of the joints. We then left it to dry overnight & we went to the pub to congratulate ourselves on an evening well spent. thumbs up

Although it's water based Cascamite is waterproof when set. I used it when builidng a Lesro Rapier model cabin cruiser & a couple of waterplanes. Apart from the slow the slow set time, the only real disadvantage for model making I've found with it is that it seems to have a shortish shelf life after the container has been opened. Most of the unused powder invariably hardens in the container within a few weeks even when care is taken to close the lid promptly after use.

Here's the Cascamite tech data sheet pdf.

As for Veron models I have a photo copied, illustrated list of vintage model plans that the late Phil Smith at one time supplied to order. When I've time I'll scan & post some of the 10 or 12 pages. Most are Phil's Veron designs but there's also a few others.

I've got a couple of Veron Deacon & Robot in flying condition, also the wings and tailplane of a Sky-Skooter that needs a new fuselage & an unstarted Tomtit kit.

we had a local DIY shop in our town centre(circa early 60's) "the handyman's" one of the lads who worked there was also a model aircraft flyer, and they also sold kits. I used to lust after the Keil Kraft Junior 60 hanging up in the window...price 39/6.some of the older forum members will translate the price for you...J Carrs,PatMc.Young Ashers etc...

Ken anderson...ne...1...JNR 60... dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 04/01/2019 10:03:06

Now that is a well built and finished Deacon.

The Deacon was my OK model in most respects. My Frog Minx had baggy tissue covering, with a good thick coat of yellow and black Humbrol. My Short Seamew, never got covered. A Keil Kraft Sopwith Camel was over weight, which ended up with a 3v motor in it, a tiny battery, crashing from the bedroom window into the yard below.

However the Deacon, taught me how to burn your fingers, whilst attempting to steam the curved top stringers. That simplicity is good. That the silly eye dropper sized tank with an ED Hornet, perhaps made better sense that the CL tank, in a free flight model. Also the elastic bands actuating the tip up tail, work better, when the tail is fully tipped up. Rather than a descending model, whilst still in flight, at its top speed, with the engine still running minutes after being picked of the ground.

I think the tissue came out better partially because I seem to remember the kit came with it. I think until then I had used tissue that came from one of the local shirt manufacturers that used it for packing. Coming buck free.

I also learnt that the colour went on best very thinly.

It ended its life, when a (then fashionable) pelmet my father had put up, took of the wing tip off, as it fell of one night, whilst it resided in state on top of my wardrobe.

Edited By Erfolg on 04/01/2019 11:44:30

Edited By Erfolg on 04/01/2019 11:46:15

Posted by onetenor on 03/01/2019 17:32:43:

I don't recall Aero glue but have seen the name. It was Cascamite for me Again a powder and water. Good stuff.

It had the advantage of being waterproof and setting in low temperatures. I used it to deck a plywood dinghy hull one winter in a freezing cold concrete garage when there was no chance of epoxy ever curing.

Geoff

Posted by John Muir on 04/01/2019 15:51:31:

My Mini Robot built from an original plan for electric power with rudder and elevator. Flies well but the wings fold if you loop it repeatedly.

Or even if you hold on the rudder too long!

My first successful RC flight was with a Mini-Robot, just over 50 years ago! MacGregor single channel radio and an Elmic sequential escapement. The first flight went fine, but on the second the escapement skipped, and the model entered a left hand spiral dive. I held on - convinced I was giving it right - until light dawned, and I let go.

The wings promptly folded!

I built a new one for the 50th anniversary of that flight, and flew it from the same location. But this one has SPRUCE spars!!! wink

--
Pete

My original Mini Robot could only manage a few feet in a gentle right hand turn. The DC Bantam did its best but the weight of the model beat it. Doped nylon, Humbrol paint and fuel proofer all adds up! Seemed sturdy though.

I had a look and found one of those Veron leaflets from the OP that must have come with the kit. Never throw anything away. Must do a Cardinal or a Deacon some time.