Spring is here. Who is flying?

Today, Saturday 30th March, and for the 3 rd day in a row! I have been flying.

Flew my now 2 year old Depron Endurance II.

06Feb19

It is a goof plane to "get the hours in" to remove any winter cobwebs.

Today's flight was 54 minutes. It was stopped by the onset of a stiff neck rather than any lack of power!

The 5000 mAh 2s battery in the picture is even older (5 years!) but still does sterling service in this plane although its capacity has fallen to about 2300 mAh and its IR is so high the charger limits the max input to 2.4 A.

The cold air today resulted in some rather weak and erratic thermal activity at altitude which meant, at times, height could be maintained using very little power.

The end result was the 54 minute flight consumed just over 950 mAh or about one amp average!. smile o

I must get it a new battery!

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from a fantastic day flying. 6 great flights in all . We had a nice Easterly wind starting at 2-3mph straight down the runway and luckily it picked up a bit so I started to get some Warbird flights in which was really the purpose today. In the low wind I started with a couple of flights on my little Acrowot. As the wind picked up to about 5mph I had three lovely flights with my Seagull P47 Snafu . Late in the day the wind picked up to about 10mph so I decided to fly my Warbird Replicas LA7. As the ground is still slightly soft I needed a helper to give the Warbirds a small push to start the takeoff run to avoid nose overs. . The P47 also went very well . We are currently plagued on our runway with loads of small Rabbit holes which they have recently dug . It’s a real pain but we have now bought some sharp sand and lawn dressing to fill them in. The holes made it very important for me to land accurately and not beyond the first half of the strip. I was extremely relieved to bring my LA7 in and avoid the holes especially with it near 10lb weight it takes a long while to stop. It flies very well with its laser 80 . I’m pleased I didn’t put a bigger engine the LA7 or it would be taking up even more runway. The Laser 80 powers it well.

Edited By Tim Flyer on 16/04/2019 18:59:50

Cheers Martin. 😊. Hi Percy . I’m pleased you like our benches. We have made quite a bit of effort smartening up our club. We have a decent portacabin with H&C water and a small gas hob/kitchen plus ladies and men’s loos . So quite cushy ! Regarding trees we certainly have a few. The runway is actually on the far side of the tree you see on the right so that tree isn’t really a problem. It’s almost a “safety tree” as it deters pilots getting to close to our flight line . We recently put up wooden fence posts and netting to separate the pilots box from the runway.

Edited By Tim Flyer on 16/04/2019 21:12:06

Thank you Tom ! That’s really good information. We were wondering what has been going on because other than the holes there are no signs of rabbits. I did notice some poo on the ground that looked a bit like Fox or dog . Hmm maybe might need to get fertiliser or something down to deter them . Do you have any suggestions please ?

I have a ARTF Yak 55, with a laser 80 shoehorned in. On the seventh ( I think) visit to the field, the thing finally (I think) has a reliable chicken hopper tank system, a main needle with good O rings, a new plug, and all problems sorted.

Next time, it gets off the ground. On very low rates. What can go wrong.

Nice weather.

Nearly missed the chance for a pun - A GOOD  Friday

Couldn’t find any more reasons for not giving the CAP 21 its maiden flight.......

Flew straight off the board as they say. Well chuffed . Landing shot is a bit blurred but the best I could get from the video.

Think I relaxed too much on the second flight, landed slightly short and nosed over in the rough. Didn’t do the prop any good but mainly bruised ego.

Thanks again to the designer Peter Miller.

415a4415-b316-42b6-b836-a0cbd4b2d595.jpeg

64575a19-6be8-4caf-9fca-feb69f6847fd.jpeg

Tim

Edited By Tim Ballinger on 20/04/2019 09:01:23

Finally a great day at the field at St Austell DMC. Warm sunshine, light winds, came last in a flying competition blush

Went home with all my models intact yes

Hope to do it all again tomorrow at Davidstow.....except no competition Sunday thank goodness 

Edited By cymaz on 20/04/2019 21:41:23

Hi, all

I have not been out flying for a long time, But Yesterday i managed to get back on the field at Prestwich.

And managed to fly a couple of my favorites and try out my new camera.

It was good to twiddle those sticks again.

And the Final Video is a corker.
Hope you guys enjoyed the fine weather we are having.
Steve.

Good videos Steve.

What a weekend! Loads of sun but not as many flyers at our club as I'd have thought.

I let George my new pilot have a go at the Bristol Scout.

air4.jpg

A friend managed to get a shot from his drone thingy from a distance - it's a bit fuzzy as it was from a video - and George seemed to be doing okay.

air2.jpg

We eventually persuaded him over the radio to return for a debrief and refuel.

air3.jpg

Edited By GrahamWh on 22/04/2019 20:25:11