Balsacraft Limbo Dancer IC

Andy C

Finishing off an old Limbo dancer to be my winter hack and looking for some help on how to fit the electronics please. Currently I cannot see a way of fitting a standard 5 cell receiver pack and the small fuel tank. Only possible location is strapped underneath the fuselage in between the undercarraige!!!! Or do I find a smaller 6v battery pack?

What have others done please?

I've aways used a 4S pack in mine...fits like the fuselage was designed around it (which it probably was!) If you really need a 5S (Spektrum?) perhaps you could reconfigure an AA pack as a "4+1" to squeeze it in?

Alternatively, can you find a 2S LiFe pack that would fit?

Edited By Martin Harris on 23/09/2019 17:20:48

My Limbo has a 4 cell Enloop pack. Been doing its thing for donkey's years. OS 46 with mini pipe has great throttle response and as full power is only used sparingly flight time is fine. Only mod is carbon undercarriage.

PS Still love flying it.smiley

flightline

Edited By J D 8 on 23/09/2019 18:30:49

Interesting. I hadn't realised there was an expiry date on threads which I had to post before!!!!!!

Having been away, the plan was to wait till I returned, tried some ideas and thanked everyone at the same time as reporting back on the results. Think I may stick to that actually!

Well, thanks for all the replies. I have had a play this afternoon and think I can get the 5 cell battery (I use Spektrum) and the small receiver in just about.

However, I have now run into another problem....arrrgggg....

I planned on installing an OS LA40 that came with the plane, but having spent the last 24 hours trying to free the carb have managed to run it dry when boiling so melted the plastic fuel nipple. Having to now rethink what I do, as am not 100% confident of the engine (possible leak from body and also new bearings required) and so don't want to spend out on a new carb if the whole thing will cost me more than a decent second hand engine. I do have an old Enya 46 I suppose I could try in it. Only alternative is an OS25 but I assume will restrict what I can do with it.

Posted by Andy C on 29/09/2019 19:06:07:

Ah ok thanks Denis.

Re the batteries, I have been led to believe that 5 cell was best approach for 2.4g radio, especially Spektrum.

Andy, stick with what you are comfortable with, but 4 cell, 4.8v are used by many and last all day

But check frequently, say after 3 flights, as Spektrum do require more than 3.3v

2 times now, within the club, we have turned down plain bearings for the LA very economically from bar stock

But the LA is not known for bearing problems

Edited By Denis Watkins on 29/09/2019 20:29:49

Having had a plethora of "Fun Fly " models over the years, I would fit an 1100 mah Life pack for the RX, and a more powerful lightweight engine (.36 size ideally). For more grunt fit a power pipe if required. A fine pitch wide blade prop is a good idea as well. These models need to be kept light, and every little helps.

​​​​​​Posted by SIMON CRAGG on 30/09/2019 02:14:41:

Having had a plethora of "Fun Fly " models over the years, I would fit an 1100 mah Life pack for the RX, and a more powerful lightweight engine (.36 size ideally). For more grunt fit a power pipe if required. A fine pitch wide blade prop is a good idea as well. These models need to be kept light, and every little helps.

yes + 1 .as Simon says keep it as light as you can . I used to use a 5cell AAA pack and never had any problems but check battery before each flight. A LiFe would be ideal. Fit a heavy engine and they become sluggish at lower speeds . I have had a few fun fly models and generally used a 32 /36 engine with a Weston throttle pipe. They often turn up at the club with a 46 or even an occasional 53 fast vertical or straight line flying but lose the low speed agility.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 30/09/2019 09:36:57

Whilst a lightweight powerful engine seems a good idea if it's an old used model it might be worth checking whether it would need some weight to get the CG right. If it does need weight then not so much point in getting a lightweight engine. So maybe the Enya 46 after all ( is that a 4 stroke?)

If anybody has built an electric Limbo Dancer then I would be interested to know how you got access to the Lipo. I have the electric kit to build but the instructions are not very helpful. it seem the wing has to be removed, so I wonder if anyone has put a hatch ( for connecting) on top in front of the wing.

The model is the original balsacraft version, so I would imagine its heavier than its SLEC relation and therefore needs weight up front. Certainly when I tested the balance with the 40LA it appeared to be in need of some nose weight.

Just checked spare engines and the best option I probably have is an Enya SS40 2 stroke which I acquired last year in a job lot of stuff. It is carbless, but I have found an Enya one amongst the bits that fits so could be a match. I will clean the engine up later this week and see if I can get it running as a back up if I don't end up using the LA40.