The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread

Nigel R

Advert

I had an email this morning saying that because of the upcoming general election, the petition about having the DRES scrapped will be ended early. Only a couple of thousand people could be asked to spend a minute or so to support it. A pathetic response given that it's been running for a while now. We're going to have to try much harder if the hobby is going to be saved over the longer term. Official responses and meetings are all very well and have helped, but we need to make our displeasure heard to support the BMFA and others direct to parliament - even just 10000 signatures will be a start and will ensure a response. How hard can it be?

I read 'on the main body' as meaning not on a boom or ancilliary surface, ie for a fixed wing model or helicopter that would be on the fuselage. On a multi-rotor that really would be on the central 'main body'. 'Readily accessible without special tools' to me says that if it's internal, it should either be visible from outside (under the canopy) or under a hatch that can be opened without tools. Does your scale model have a sprung or catch retained hatch for access to fuel fillers, glow plug connector, battery packs, wing retaining bolts or even a velcro retained pilot? Then you have somewhere to put the OpID where it's accessible but out of sight.

I really don't see why any of this is such a big issue if a little common sense is applied, other than just for the sake being plain old fashioned contrary.

I've asked this before but never really got answer.

It's just me being inquisitive because I don't fly FPV although I did consider it a year or so ago.

So is FPV illegal now?

I've been reading the ANO, the dronesafe stuff and the competency test preparation material and they all agree that you must maintain line of sight with your aircraft at all times. What I read this morning made it clear that you can't use aids such as binoculars or vision goggles.

Can't see how you can fly FPV and comply with the legislation as it is worded.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited By Nigel Heather on 05/11/2019 10:55:04

I noticed the same, Alan. I was amused to see that a CAA spokesperson was pushing the helpful & friendly CAA idea, saying that this registration would 'help them reunite owners with their lost drones'.

Aw - and we didn't know they cared ! Sounds a tad desperate; maybe the realisation that this is not going to improve things at all is seeping through, slowly...

Posted by John Bisset on 05/11/2019 11:23:00:

I noticed the same, Alan. I was amused to see that a CAA spokesperson was pushing the helpful & friendly CAA idea, saying that this registration would 'help them reunite owners with their lost drones'.

Aw - and we didn't know they cared ! Sounds a tad desperate; maybe the realisation that this is not going to improve things at all is seeping through, slowly...

Haha yes, I've just seen that. "Drones reunited". Giving something back to the drone community. Wonder how they'll fund it....