Winter is here....who's been flying?

Braw day today, kicked off with bright blue skies, very light winds and perfect flying conditions. Nice to get some flights in with my boy, bringing the Easy Bee out for some cavorting about and moving on to the wee fellers as the light faded. Might be the last flights of the year, with a less than brilliant forecast for the next few days.

7 flights today, mostly WooHoo, but squeezed a couple of Habu flights and 1 P38 (UC mount issue). Previous  Habu flight gave me a low LIPO voltage, but I was on WOT quite a bit. No such problems today as I only needed WOT for take off and the odd loop. Still moving the liop back so I don't have to put so much compensating elevator in when inverted, but it work in progress.

The P38 is a really nice flyer, but its problems all the way (mine must have been a Friday job or Monday morning when all the glue guns are gummed up!). I had the one and only elevator horn come off (lack of glue) earlier in the year and today the starboard retract mounting plate came loose. Only needed the right amount of UHU-Por putting in the right place!.

Getting cocky with the WooHoo with down wind take offs although with its power to weight it makes easy work of getting up to speed!

image.thumb.png.284f0a222c48792eb882c20bc065a3f7.png

image.thumb.png.a6d87a55efe7ff0b3276326f72e815c5.png

• Like 2

Seven weeks to this day, I fractured 3 Metatarsels in my foot and also chipped the bottom of my Tibia, seriously inhibiting my ability to get about of course. Of those 6 weeks 4 of them have been perfect for flying, a little chilly at times but mostly blue skies and very little wind. Typical!

Edited by Steve Colman

Really enjoyable morning at the field - yesterday was thick fog, but this morning dawned clear and soon settled into a morning of bright blue skies, sunshine and zero wind. Perfect conditions - my first flight of the year was with my most flown model of 2023, which was also the last flight of 2023 - my Volantex Bf109E. Had excellent flights with my Parkzone Spitfire and Corsair, plus the wee fatty Me109E and Su37 Super Flanker. Just three of us at the field, but a grand morning with the frost mostly thawed by lunchtime, then home for post mission bacon and eggs. 😎

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Ashby - Moderator said:

Four flyers in all, I took the Lentus and Alan re-maidened a 30 year old Grunau Baby he rediscovered in his roof recently. 

I hope it didn't leave too much of a hole in his roof when he removed it! 🤣

• Haha 1

Don't know what has happened to the North East weather 4 flying days this week, 9 flights today with the new Warbirds Replicas FW190 bringing it up to 20 flights so far. A great aeroplane Richard!  Also flew my Spitfire. 

Screenshot_20240105-193101_Gallery.jpg

• Like 4

4 nice days in a row on NE coast here as well. Had some nice flying Tuesday and Wednesday, dog at vets Thursday, and recovering today.  Rained every night so still can't get cars anywhere near the flight line.  Managed to get the Spacewalker and Saito dialled in nicely.

On the days where I can't get to the field, I've been flying my little heli in the house. Seriously tempted by one of those new scale Ninjas......

Incredible weather today at Ashbourne. Sunshine all day, very light wind and about 5 deg.  I suffer from cold hands usually, but I didn't wear gloves at all and my hands remained warm. Why?  I have an exWD padded one-piece suit I bought a few years ago from Anchor Surplus in Ripley. It's called a Technician's suit IIRC.  It's got zips all over and is quite a peculiar design, but it keeps me warm (it helps that it's a few sizes too big so will take a few extra layers).  I think keeping my core warm improves circulation to my hands, thus keeping them warm, too.

I flew my trusty Multiplex Fun Cub and had another 2 flights with my new Gloster Gladiator - this time with a pilot in the office.  I also did a range check and taxi trials with my Sopwith Pup but I'd already decided to wait for the maiden in the warmer weather.  I'm a bit concerned about the weight (circa 5.5 kg/12lb) with 1.5kg of lead needed to get the CoG right.  On a fairly fast taxi, drawing 20 amps, the tail lifted even in the light wind and I'm sure it would have flown had I both opened the throttle a bit more and the courage to do so. Call me a wimp!

I was amazed how few people were there - a total of 6 but never more than 4 at the same time and I was a Billy no mates for quite some time.

DSCF0335.thumb.JPG.b19c41efa1f1875d937c550892d97e20.JPG

• Like 4

Today has been the first day that it has been anywhere near flyable here for some time (perhaps 2-3 months), either far to much wind , rain, hail. Today is far to cold for me, also we have ice, here by the coast (approx. 200yards to the beach between 250 yards and a mile or so to the sea, dependant on the state of the tide).

If it were not for the airfields NFZ I would have gone to the beach, although 200-300 yards out from High Tide, I would just be outside both NFZ. Then the risk is of being another casualty of the incoming tide.

Here's hoping for some better weather as I view it.

Bitter cold -5 degrees this morning, but a good session at a very frosty field. Bright and sunny on arrival, but soon settled into an overcast morning  with 7/8ths cloud cover, so not the best morning for photies. A rare outing for my Hk Su-26 which I only ever seem to fly when it's frosty or snowy. Cold batteries were definitely down on power and I might experiment with going to 4s1p 2600mah packs instead of the 3s1p 3300mah packs that I usually use.

1159073348_Jan7th-1.thumb.jpg.f5eda19160ba07821dc761b59b97488f.jpg

Clubmate Colin's Durafly Tundra was well suited to the conditions.

2092226654_Jan7th-8.thumb.jpg.dfe51950421917cf99040d44685cbb02.jpg

John's F-82 Twin Mustang went very well and looks super in the air, carving up the big wide turns very convincingly, so I took a few snaps.

1880205896_Jan7th-2.thumb.jpg.69fe3e7f722279368898b2e98cff81d4.jpg

1524303093_Jan7th-10.thumb.jpg.2d36ef4da0e1f718e7b392d7e81199c8.jpg2113762442_Jan7th-9.thumb.jpg.d3b0e7713db58d34507e603be72f74e9.jpg

612384064_Jan7th-13.thumb.jpg.0f412ffa21a20839ba97650ece1f7845.jpg

• Like 4

Finally.....Finally got some flying in today. Took a flying mate up to Davidstow. I took the red / white Maxford USA 1/3 moth and the other is a Toni Clark/ Practical Scale.

Bitter cold 🥶

975D39C3-AB20-4C8B-B314-3EFA3CE9A859.jpeg

874BA5EC-8B4A-40E5-9AF2-89043124ED6C.jpeg

• Like 5