CAA ID number discussion

SIMON CRAGG

Advert

Posted by trebor on 23/02/2020 17:26:01:

Pete, of course it was "tongue in cheek" dont forget to delete your post with my quote in case they report you laugh

I'd like to say I'm out of reach over here in sunny France - although my CAA ID arrived yesterdaysmile

You think you've got it difficult in the UK - here I have a different registration number for each model and the IFF bit is approaching (allegedly!)face 22

Pete

Posted by SIMON CRAGG on 23/02/2020 15:34:48:

Just got back from a good flying session, where the topic barly got a mention.

All paid £9.00

Stuck stickers on.

Flying and having fun.

End of!

I'm very happy for you.

However it isn't "end of" for everybody - especially those who haven't received the Operator ID that they ought to have received, having completely followed every step of the requested procedure in a timely manner. The deadline set by the CAA has now passed and no sign of an Operator ID for, I guess, a lot of people.

Posted by Steve J on 23/02/2020 18:07:02:
Posted by cymaz on 23/02/2020 17:39:25:

I can’t believe what a dog’s breakfast it’s turned into. The CAA should have left it all to the bmfa ( I include LMA and SAA ).Even to the point of giving Chacksfield some personnel to help, they know the fliers, they know their records.

Interesting spin. I would say the opposite. All the issues are because of the batch transfers and exemptions that the associations (and some of their members) wanted. If you register directly with the CAA and do their test it is all very straightforward.

Mrs C did her flyer online test via the CAA. I’ve paid my operator £9, and it’s registered on the bmfa portal asthe operator...Mrs C has the operator numberindecision

Posted by leccyflyer on 23/02/2020 18:53:12:

All paid £9.00

Stuck stickers on.

Flying and having fun.

End of!

I'm very happy for you.

However it isn't "end of" for everybody - especially those who haven't received the Operator ID that they ought to have received, having completely followed every step of the requested procedure in a timely manner. The deadline set by the CAA has now passed and no sign of an Operator ID for, I guess, a lot of people.

The deadline hasn't been passed - the goalposts have simply been moved again. Try not to lose too much sleep yet!

Posted by Steve J on 23/02/2020 09:15:02:
Posted by Peter Miller on 23/02/2020 08:28:19:

Therefore I will be printing out the recent article from the BMFA explaining the incompetence of the CAA and stating that we don't need a Flyer ID.

Before long we will need a file an inch thick in our flight boxes just to prove that we are legal.

Have you considered spending 10 minutes doing the CAA test and getting a flyer ID? If you did you wouldn't have to bother with the article 94F exemption. Just a suggestion.

Posted by Peter Miller on 23/02/2020 09:19:19:

Why on earth would I do that? I have an A cert and don't NEED a flyer ID

I have to agree that using the exemptions is now relatively complicated - you need a fair few bits of paper, and I personally wouldn't fancy explaining them all to Plod should he choose to pop over for a chat. The online CAA test I took in Nov gave me a Flyer ID and only took only ~6 mins (including providing my contact info); I do feel that for many of us that would ultimately be simpler than using the exemptions, though I do understand why members and the BMFA requested them.

This latest missive from the BMFA is clear enough;-

Earlier in the week we reported that the CAA expected BMFA members to receive their Operator I.D. numbers by the end of the week.

However, as of Friday afternoon, only 4000 BMFA members I.D. numbers had been processed due to a technical problem with their system. The DMARES guys have informed us that they will be working over the weekend to process the remaining records. They anticipate that all members (who provided an email address) will be in receipt of their Operator I.D's by Monday morning.

We also reported that the wording of the CAA's email had been updated after the first 2000 I.D's had been emailed out. Unfortunately, the next 2000 records were then sent out with the original email (which we are assured has now been corrected). The erroneous email stated that a Flyer I.D. was also required which is incorrect. To be clear, members with any form of BMFA Achievement including the Registration Competency Certificate (RCC) do not need a Flyer I.D.

If you feel the need, do as Peter suggests and print the exemptions off or save to your phone. If you find that you can't sleep at night take the CAA test to get a Flyer ID. Personally I won't bother as I have complied with the law.

Thank you BMFA for your sterling work. yes

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 24/02/2020 13:50:46

Posted by leccyflyer on 23/02/2020 18:53:12:

All paid £9.00

Stuck stickers on.

Flying and having fun.

End of!

I'm very happy for you.

Read the other posts if you are not 100% up to speed fella, its been covered multiple times.

You'll get yer number!

Just chill, fly and enjoy.

Mike,

I read THIS exactly the same way as you, and can't think of any other way of reading it - members of one of the named associations are exempted from registration until 30th June (at which point, new regulations will apply). It also revokes record 1332.

I've just printed out 20-odd Operator Number labels but am reluctant to fix them because they are only temporary - until July, when new regulations come into effect.

Barrie,

Andy may not be aware of this as the BMFA exemptions page is still showing 1332, which is now revoked

Posted by Gary Manuel on 24/02/2020 15:26:42:

Mike,

I read THIS exactly the same way as you, and can't think of any other way of reading it - members of one of the named associations are exempted from registration until 30th June (at which point, new regulations will apply). It also revokes record 1332.

I've just printed out 20-odd Operator Number labels but am reluctant to fix them because they are only temporary - until July, when new regulations come into effect.

Barrie,

Andy may not be aware of this as the BMFA exemptions page is still showing 1332, which is now revoked

Yes I am aware of it, just haven't had chance to update the exemptions page yet, its on my list of jobs to do.

The exemption rather surprisingly does exempt members from registering until the end of June, so there is no rush to label your aircraft, the CAA have said if you have an Op ID you should label your aircraft though. You will almost certianly find that the current OP id will change but not until first renewal, after which it is almost certain to remain the same year on year.

• 2 weeks later...