Sample Pots

Erfolg

Does anybody know where I can purchase something like the "tester pots" that you get from B&Q with a small sample of paint in them.

I want a small number, empty, without paint.

I want to use them to mix some resin in them.

I will go to Poundland tomorrow, with no clear idea if they sell anything like them, there may be other similar places worth a look?

Advert

Erf

i use cleaned yoghurt pots after enjoying the contents (ideally put them through the dishwasher if you have one to make sure they are super clean)

if your mixing resin by weight the muller corner yoghurt pots are ideally as you can weigh both parts of the resin in the separate parts of the yoghurt pot and tip them together once happy (acknowledgement to Danny Fenton for that tip)

For “stick stirrers” the ones in garages/supermarket coffee areas are just the job.

Craig... do it on the cheap/recycle dept

Edited By Craig Carr on 23/02/2020 17:13:24

I use the pots from the microwave spong puddings. The best ones are those with a smooth domed bottom as they are easy to wipe out.

The puddings are good as well!!!!

On a related topic of stirrers some places often have small plastic straws a couple of mms id and about 120mm or so long. Great for locating and protecting 2.4 aerials in the correct orientation.

Maxg

I have a number of pots, many of the types suggested. However at first sight they lack one aspect that I am seeking, which is ease of accurate measuring by volume. The reason being is the mensuration of the container, their is a lack of regularity in volume top to bottom.

Having bought (at great expense) some paper cups, I have realised there is the same issue with them, in that the taper means that simple measurement by length (depth) is probably not accurate enough, for mixing epoxy. Polyester resin tends (or did tend) not to be to fussed about the catalyst ratio, tending to go of faster or slower dependent on the error from the stated ideal. Temperature also playing a big part in the working life of polyester.

I am sure you will be pleased to know, I went to bed constructing a relationship, to enable me to accurately mark the cup for accurate dispensing. It turned out to be quite a interesting formula that I derived.

By morning, I came up with an easier way still, I decided that all I had to do was guess how much would be needed for a 20 minute or two cowl mix, by pouring some tap water into the cup. Weigh it on the kitchen scales, just to get a nice roundish number. Mark the cup. Pour the water away. divided, the depth roughly by 4. Now fill the cup up to the 3/4 mark. Re-weigh adjust the weight (by adding or removing tap water) to a number that is easily divisible by 100. Now clearly mark this level,which is now the filling level for resin 1. Now calc 30% weight addition for resin 2, add water until the scale shows the combined weight of of resin 1&2. mark this level. The job is now almost done, all I have to do is record these dimensions and mark all of the mixing cups.

Of course there is just one small fly in the ointment, that is I am assuming that the resin densities are identical.

Now to prove this, out with the scales, or should I test my algorithm.blush

Now who said that education has no benefits. Plus what else would I do?indecision

Of course the tester pots avoids these issues being parallelcrying 2

Edited By Erfolg on 25/02/2020 11:16:38

Erf,

Have I missed something or are you at risk of over-complicating something?

If you're using a resin with 30% hardener, and your kitchen scales will weigh half a paper cup of water, why not put half a cupful of resin on the scales, add 30% more hardener as a top-up and then won't Robert be your parent's brother?

Having drug-dealer scales, I always weigh anything two-part, usually by putting a guesstimate of one volume on the scale pan then adding the second until the weight doubles.

Or have I missed something?

OR buy a set of plastic lab beakers from t'Internet and use these and water to calibrate your paper cups?

BTC

Cuban, those pots would have done nicely, avoiding a bit of the work.smiley

Bruce, you are correct , my last description was all about weighing. Although I did consider was this a problem for integration at one stage.

I do find the considering the options and working through them, fun.

It is such a long time since I have even considered producing a Laminated Moulding, I am being cautious. If you do these things all the time, you know what to do next, what could go wrong, perhaps crucially how to avoid the pitfalls. I am now trying to remember and learn. As I stumble into my next cock up.

It depends on your take-away, but my response to the OP's question is "Onion Bhajees".

Mine come with a little (lidded) pot of raita. Washed out after use, they are ideal for small portions of resin and can be 'flexed' clean after the previous occupant has gone off.

Big enough to get a reasonable quantity in and small enough to be weighed on my drug dealers scales!

Erf, never mix by volume, unless it's a thousand litres. Mix by weight. A proper set of drug dealers scales, good to 0.1 gram is only a couple of quid. A kitchen scale from Lidl is good to 0.5 gram. You are asking for trouble messing about with volumes.

Go into a laboratory, they weigh, unless it's a fixed volume. You might have to do some maths, but you will be sure it's right.

You guys are ingenious and far better prepared than myself.

I have marked the cups I have after marking the two levels.

I did have two sets of digital scales that were not i use, being spares. Notice the "did", as I seem to have thrown them out when I moved. The scales I have in the kitchen now, need to remain unblemished, if I value my life. On that basis it will be marked cups, where the graduations were obtained by a weight measure.

So it will be a return to the job in hand, on my build thread. That is after t...................... a few unplanned jobs.