Insanity seems to be setting in

Peter Miller

Advert

Well, When I was two years old the Italians were bombing me in Alexandria.

When I was two and a half I nearly died of typhoid.

When I was six I was on the first convoy through the Suez canal when it opened and I still have the clearest memory of watching destroyers going "WHOOP, Whoop,Whoop" and frantically dropping depth charges.

No, we didn't lose a ship but the convoy that we met was bombed to hell and the convoy that followed was also bombed to pieces.

I am now 82.Why one earth should I worry about the possibility of one of the twelve people in Suffolk infecting me?

I have now found a new model to design so I shall spend hours on my drawing board.

Posted by john stones 1 on 22/03/2020 11:22:53:
Posted by SR 71 on 22/03/2020 11:11:45:

Sounds like your all talking yourselves into an early grave, wheres the stiff upper lip and all that chaps

Maybe you're reading it wrong, might be just blowing some steam off my lips doing o.k ta.

I've no Tiger Shark scars to show yous, but I was once bitten by a Yorkshire Terrier. wink

I got attacked by three Yorkies. Kept biting the leg I was standing on, and got me hopping from one to the other. Owner laughing about play. I had to calm myself, take the pain, and take aim. I launched one past the owners ear. Another got a slice, and the third backed off. Shoes full of blood, and owner complaining I had hurt precious.

No idea what that was about. I was born with dogs about, and I know their moods.

Posted by Don Fry on 22/03/2020 12:30:13:
Posted by john stones 1 on 22/03/2020 11:22:53:
Posted by SR 71 on 22/03/2020 11:11:45:

Sounds like your all talking yourselves into an early grave, wheres the stiff upper lip and all that chaps

Maybe you're reading it wrong, might be just blowing some steam off my lips doing o.k ta.

I've no Tiger Shark scars to show yous, but I was once bitten by a Yorkshire Terrier. wink

I got attacked by three Yorkies. Kept biting the leg I was standing on, and got me hopping from one to the other. Owner laughing about play. I had to calm myself, take the pain, and take aim. I launched one past the owners ear. Another got a slice, and the third backed off. Shoes full of blood, and owner complaining I had hurt precious.

No idea what that was about. I was born with dogs about, and I know their moods.

Where you born in Lancashire, bit of animosity between Yorkies n the Red Rose. winkdog

Yep, I remember Asian flue, I was in hospital, with a patient (a girl) in an opposite bed, with it. Being so young, I did not understand the scale of the issue, or that she was particularly ill.

Yep, it is a me to, had pneumonia, although mild, by comparison with others. At the time at least, it seems I was then lucky, as the subsequent X ray was OK. Then had my Pneumonia jab, which now has me thinking does it actually prevent it. or reduce the severity.

Like some others, having had pneumonia you are not as cavalier as those who think, it is a bad cold. The shortness of breath and general severe lethargy, much worse than my normal, I am not sure I can be bothered, I will do it tomorrow, that I tend to have these days.

Posted by leccyflyer on 22/03/2020 09:19:49:

People need to get real and simply stay where they are. This is a global emergency - the closest parallel would be the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic, though we should be better equipped to deal with it. It really doesn't help to have people talking about their need to head out for their Easter holidays. It's a write off and they need to accept that. What are they going to do if they head to Cornwall for their holidays and the complete lockdown comes to pass? They will be stuck.

I think the 1956/7 Asian flu is probably a closer parallel.

Posted by Peter Miller on 22/03/2020 09:31:39:

Oh dear, It is starting to sound like old soldiers showing off their scars.

Anyone remember ASian flu??

Yep! my mother, father & 2 of my 3 brothers all went down with it. Left me, at 17, in charge of the household with my 8 year old brother to help.
He was useless at launching C/L models. teeth 2

I caught it when the others had recovered, but nowhere near as severely.

Edited By PatMc on 22/03/2020 16:24:56

That's two, end of April PatMc, I most sincerely wish to get a post, I told you so you old idiot. And I will grovel.

I will be happy to learn that the statistitions of the world don't know their trade. Can't estimate death rates, confuse flu with other things. Don't know what exponential curves look like. As said before, this thing has not realy got into the world yet.

Please, no quips, lies, dammed lies etc. Statistics when removed from polititions is a tool of science.

Edited By Don Fry on 22/03/2020 17:02:31

I was on leave when the Asian flu hit RAF St Mawgan.

When I got back to camp I was hit by the second wave, A few day in sick quarters.

One thing I still regret. Fags tasted horrible after the flue so I didn't smoke for some time.Then someone offered me one an it tasted good so I started again. Ah well! We all did it then and no one knew it was bad for one.

Didn't we all Peter. I first gave up when I was 10, 11, 12? Not even realy addicted Then a mate gave me one. I am free now, but that's a load of money, morning coughs, and that small worry at the back of the mind that the habit will still kill.

I still sniff the tail fumes of smokers. Nicer in memory than reality.

When I joined the RN (FAA) in the sixties smoking was the norm, Blue Liners (Navy cigs) were very cheap and you were the odd one out if you didn't smoke!

Seven shillings and six pence for 300 per month if I remember correctly. Flynavy?

Edited By Eagle 899 on 22/03/2020 19:23:38

I did not smoke until I joined the Army at 19. Every time we had time out the instructor would say " right smoke break" and everyone apart from me would light up. Not wishing to be the odd one out I started to " light up".This was not helped by being posted to BAOR where 200 smokes cost next to nothing in the mess. Tried several times to quit. eventually managed to stop about 25 years ago. The strange thing is every now and then I still fancy a ciggy. Any one remember being a member of RAF Wildenrath or RAFGutersloh model clubs in the mid 1970's I see that the old RAF Wildenrath is now a test track for the Bundesbahn.   Sorry for going off track on this thread.

Edited By Richard Acland on 22/03/2020 19:46:02

Edited By Richard Acland on 22/03/2020 19:47:06

R/C probably saved my life I smoked 30 a day in 1976 and wanted some radio gear. I had 3 kids at school and money was tight. Jim Davis models in Eardington advertised 4 channel Futaba m series £164 interest free credit for 2 years.. the payment was what I was paying a month for cigs. My wife thought I could not give up but I did and have never smoked since. Over the years what I have spent on my hobby is nothing like I would have spent on cigs. at least if money was short I could do without spending on the hobby but smokers always find the money for a packet of cigs I know I did.