Insanity seems to be setting in

Peter Miller

A club member has just been telling me that Tescos had to bringing emergency supplies of toilet rolls in the night because of the panic buying.

I am trying to work out why and I think that I have found the answer.

People are panic buying because of the Corona Virus. They are too stupid to realise that it is a flu type virus and not a gastric virus. i.e it is NOT the Noro Virus but a different one.

And the Noro virus only lasts a couple of days or so so they will now have loo rolls to last the next 10 years even if they got the NORO virus.

Of course no aeromodeller would be dim enough not to realise this but I thought that you would all like a good laugh.

To hell with it, I'm going to live dangerously so I bought a pack of Corona beers from Lidl's this morning, plenty in stock - yes bog rolls in short supply, only half a dozen or so left on the pallet so the idiots have been at work. Think I might panic buy a nice Saito petrol fourstroke, one of the big ARTF warbirds and another set of Permagrits - just in case...............wink

Got bored with politics in the media so they move on to the floods, get bored with that and move on to the Royalty soap opera..........get bored with that and now its Corona for a while. What next? signals from SETI sparks alien invasion terror? Sun to swell to red giant in 5 billion years and will engulf Earth?

Edited By Cuban8 on 09/03/2020 12:34:48

Its a global problem apparently. I have friends in the USA and Japan with both reporting panic buying of bog roll. There was also a video posted of a fight breaking out in an Australian store as someone was stripping the entire shelf and refusing to let anyone else have any at all.

I dont get it. Of all the things to stockpile, why bog roll?

Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 09/03/2020 12:53:02:

Its a global problem apparently. I have friends in the USA and Japan with both reporting panic buying of bog roll. There was also a video posted of a fight breaking out in an Australian store as someone was stripping the entire shelf and refusing to let anyone else have any at all.

I dont get it. Of all the things to stockpile, why bog roll?

See Venesula for details. wink 2

I usually buy mine in bulk anyway (cheaper). Got mine at Xmas.

Just remind me. How many people on the planet die of Flu each year ?

Nature is just trying to do its job. It has a tough time with the balancing act and we don't help.

Luckily I can't stand pasta and if the worst comes to the worst, a clubmate is in the process of installing a Japanese toilet which finishes the business for you with various warm water and air treatments with added fragrances...he may find people "just happening to pass his house" on a regular basis if the horders don't see sense and the Daily Mirror et al go to on-line publishing only...

Posted by Peter Miller on 09/03/2020 13:20:58:

I did see that 1,250,000 (One a quarter million) people die from flu each year.

THree people,already ill, have died in the UK!

Ye Gods!!! the population will be decimated in a week!!!

A possible hidden benefit is that the increased awareness of infection control may limit the spread of flu this year...

Thanks Martin, I had forgotten the joys of newspaper loo sheets. Sitting there reading all the news and then putting the paper to good use afterwards. Brilliant!

I'm off to cut up an few sheets and thread them on a piece of string. Mind you the nostalgia won't be complete unless I can simulate the outside toilet that we had in days of yore.

Where's that club hammer?

smile p

someone coughing and sneezing in the pub at the weekend …..we've all been quarantined for 2 weeks...see you when we get out....hic,sneeze and cough.

also people down south people wearing masks,……..up in the north east people are licking handrails to get 2 weeks off work...

ken anderson...ne...1..corona dept.

My reaction to all this is, just in case I don't have long left on the planet if I contract some incurable virus, is to buy a top of the range Hacker electric motor (100cc) . The only downside is it's cost me more than 2 weeks ago because the pound has collapsed against the euro crying.

Not worried about bog paper as I have bidet! cheeky

Posted by Bucksboy on 09/03/2020 14:50:03:

There was a Doctor/Government spokesman on the news last week, last year 18,000 people died of flu in the UK last year. People need to look at this with a bit of perspective.

Here's some perspective.... Death rate of flu is around 0.1%. Death rate of Covid-19 is around 2%. That's 20 times higher. 20 x 18,000 = 360,000. That's over a third of a million people who could die in the UK by the end of the year if this really takes hold.

Time to do something drastic. Me? I'm going to put the kettle on.

Gary, we have flu vaccine. No such animal yet exists and may never do, versus Covid-19.

As for loo roll, if you are 'self isolating' for two weeks, one thing you will definitely need to do, well, you'll need loo roll.

"THree people,already ill, have died in the UK! Ye Gods!!! the population will be decimated in a week!!!"

I would keep an eye on the statistics coming out of Italy, we are, after all, about a month behind Italy's curve.

They are constantly going on about Global warming. This is basically caused because the world population has doubled since 1976. That is twice as many cars, cooking fires, heating systems, holiday flights etc.

In nature, when the animal populations get too big an epidemic brings them back to a survivable level.

Chris Packam was saying basically this just recently.

Twenty rolls of loo paper ain't going to save the world!!!!

Posted by paul d on 09/03/2020 13:13:07:

My thoughts exactly Jon, my local has also sold out of dry pasta, some people must have very bland diets.

Careful. Marco Polo is said to have seen noodles in China, and introduced Italy to pasta. We all know what has happened in China. Now Italy is having problems. Do we need to avoid noodles and pasta?

Plummet

Edited By Plummet on 09/03/2020 15:58:57

Hi Broken prop

Don't forget the ink on newspaper in days of yore was made to stay on the paper. Modern inks seem to transfer to what they happen to be in contact with, which ever part of your anatomy is in closest contact disgust

Something to read off the wife's bum whilst doing the business! wink 2

Was that too rude?