Insanity seems to be setting in

Peter Miller

Every cloud has a silver lining.....

Look at it this way. All those panic-buying stocks of loo roll and pasta clearly intend to spend weeks and weeks at home, not emerging into public at all.

That's got to be a good thing for the rest of us, surely?teeth 2

Pete

Me being a sceptic and seeing how little the UK government has actually done in the way of "pulling up the draw bridge" to keep the virus out, has got me thinking..... I wonder if there's an element of letting nature take it's course - and do it's bit to ease the burden associated with the ageing population.

There. I said it.

The papers and TV news have not done much to help. Its 95% worse scenario and death toll compared to 5% of experts saying ,its pretty much like normal flu.

Regards the loo roll shortage, I asked a lady in the local supermarket why is she buying 4 packs of 16 rolls. Given Wu Flu does not give the squits. She said its because the card tubes are made in china so may have Wu flu in them!! and that's why people are buying more. I then asked how she knows the 4 packs in her trolley are any different. I think she did get point BUT still went to checkout with many tins of beans aand soups. Absolute madness.

This is scary because can you imagine if we had a power outage OR proper storm NOT heavy rain and strong winds. This country will go to pot looting after 3 days.

And I must say, other countries name hurricanes WE now name heavy rain and we are on F I believe already,what a bunch of wimps we have become.

Posted by Broken Prop on 09/03/2020 13:41:49:

Thanks Martin, I had forgotten the joys of newspaper loo sheets. Sitting there reading all the news and then putting the paper to good use afterwards. Brilliant!

I'm off to cut up an few sheets and thread them on a piece of string. Mind you the nostalgia won't be complete unless I can simulate the outside toilet that we had in days of yore.

Where's that club hammer?

smile p

Don't forget the ecstasy of it scraping over haemorrhoids.

Gary, to quote, "The papers and TV news have not done much to help. Its 95% worse scenario and death toll compared to 5% of experts saying ,its pretty much like normal flu."

My reading says flu kills between, numbers vary, about one in a thousand to one in ten thousand of people infected. This one kills about 1 to 2 percent. What basis is there to describe it as normal flu?

"its pretty much like normal flu."

Normal flu, incubation around 1 to 4 days. Covid-19, 2-14 days.

Normal flu, each infected infects (on average!) 1.3 other people. Covid-19, that number is between 2 and 3 (perhaps directly linked to the longer incubation period).

Normal flu, mortality rate around 0.1%. Covid-19, mortality rate around 3%

Normal flu, vaccine available. Covid-19, no vaccine.

Make your own mind up.

Incidentally, Covid-19 death rate for over 80s is near 15%.

Facts all easily google-able.

Posted by Plummet on 09/03/2020 15:57:29:
Posted by paul d on 09/03/2020 13:13:07:

My thoughts exactly Jon, my local has also sold out of dry pasta, some people must have very bland diets.

Careful. Marco Polo is said to have seen noodles in China, and introduced Italy to pasta. We all know what has happened in China. Now Italy is having problems. Do we need to avoid noodles and pasta?

Posted by Martin Harris on 09/03/2020 13:22:19:

Luckily I can't stand pasta

Woohoo!

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 09/03/2020 16:43:24:

Every cloud has a silver lining.....

Look at it this way. All those panic-buying stocks of loo roll and pasta clearly intend to spend weeks and weeks at home, not emerging into public at all.

That's got to be a good thing for the rest of us, surely?teeth 2

Pete

Probably so, the thought of what some desperate soul goes through, eating toilet roll to supply roughage from a diet of pasta. But witnessed from upwind if hard enough. Double entendres note.

Posted by Dai Fledermaus on 09/03/2020 18:50:35:

Forget toilet rolls and pasta. Much more importantly, there's a Worldwide shortage of Balsa.

The wind turbine industry has been complaining because it's widely used there apparently.

WE had that one about 60 years ago when they were using balsa to insulate liquid gas tankers.

Solarbo put that one out. I can't remember if the price of balsa went up after that but it probably did.

If the worst comes to the worst I shall walk to Waitrose, buy a few beers and sully my backside with the free copy of the Daily Mail. Normally I wouldn't consider anything of the sort but desperate times call for desperate measures. I woudln't normally be knowingly in the same room as DM....