I never thought it would come to this....

David Davis

In common with all French residents I am confined to the house and garden. If we go out we need to have a specific reason to do so, to go to work, to take the dog for a walk "a la proximité du domicile," to buy food etc and even then we are supposed to carry an "attestation" with us to explain why we are not at home which the police can ask us to produce at any time.

There is a lad in our club, Erwan, who builds and flies patternships but he does have one ARTF, one of those profile foam aerobatic things with flat plate wings and a small electric motor held together by pieces of string. Aesthetically I dislike them intensely and call them "Flying Ceiling Tiles!" Erwan uses his to practise manoeuvres for competition and I've seen that they can be flown very slowly in a small space. I have been having a look at my back garden, which is about 4000 square metres, and have concluded if I remove one of the fences, which I was intending to do anyway, I could fly a "Flying Ceiling Tile" in my back garden and keep up my indifferent flying skills. With anything else I'd run an increased risk of hitting the trees.

So, I never thought that it would come to this but one of those flying ceiling tiles is probably my best option but don't tell anybody else! I still dislike them aesthetically but needs must.

Question is, "Which one do I buy?"

Over to you.

Couple of views of the garden at different times of the year below. view from kichen window 26th november 2017.jpg

its not autumn yet in la creuse.jpg

A 32'' span Twisted Hobbys model, such as a Crack Yak or small Beaver. You wouldn't even need to lose the fence. Check Youtube or RC groups for videos. Made of EPP (nothing to do with ceiling tiles, if it makes you feel any better) so tough as old boots and made for flying, not for looking at. I was flying my Crack Yak yesterday from just outside my back door. Hand launch and can land almost vertically. Great fun.

My own opinion is it is not much the physical space as the wind or rather the turbulence caused from surrounding tress that will effectively limit how often you can fly. In a true zero wind it is like flying indoors so your garden with its unlimited ceiling height (within airspace rules!) is 'big' provided your plane flies slowly enough.

If you can build yourself it does not even have to be that tough as it can always be repaired and it helps to pass the time. wink 2

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 23/03/2020 10:10:58:

My own opinion is it is not much the physical space as the wind or rather the turbulence caused from surrounding tress that will effectively limit how often you can fly. In a true zero wind it is like flying indoors so your garden with its unlimited ceiling height (within airspace rules!) is 'big' provided your plane flies slowly enough.

If you can build yourself it does not even have to be that tough as it can always be repaired and it helps to pass the time. wink 2

I tend to build rather big and heavy Simon.

still a long way to go but we all do this dont we (1).jpg

I am with Moweman with the Nutball, They are easy to make and fly (unless you fancy doing inverted figures of eight!). Rolls and loops are possible which is not bad for rudder and elevator only control surfaces.

The local Scout group all managed a buddy flight each in an hour, not bad for four pilots and 21 scouts!

Only casualty of the evening was one Nutball lost in the adjacent field and despite extensive searching including FW camera, drone and cameras on a pole we could not find it.

That was until harvest time...It would appear the combine did not like the Nutball and reassuring it spat it out.

20190823_165555.jpg

I looked back in the forum to find the thread started by David Mellor which covered his innovative simple foam etc designs similar to Nutball but all I could find were deleted items showing " former member" and all the info missing. If it's all been deleted it's a huge loss of all that good info. Anybody know what happened to the thread?

I would consider building a Nutball other than the fact that I'm a traditional balsa and ply man at heart and I don't have stocks of foam. Furthermore, if I wanted to buy some from a builders' merchants, they're all closed as per government edict.

I have a Peter Russell STOL plan in my collection. I also obtained his STOL fuselage and tailplane from the Boothill Corner of the Shropshire Model Flying Club's club hut when I was a member there five years ago but I gave it to a Scotsman on holiday last summer. we "met" through these pages!

Posted by Phil Green on 23/03/2020 12:13:20:

Whatever you choose, make a Nutball anyway - takes an hour max and they're just brilliant fun in small spaces.
I've slope-soared mine too!

They can be made of almost any sheet foam, I used flooring insulation.

img_1337.jpg

If I can get hold of any foam I will.

Why not make it from balsa if that's what you have? Nice 4*1/4*1/16" laminated ring outer with 1/4*1/8" spars/ribs, cover with whatever is to hand - doped christmas wrap? Got a PeeWee or TD 020? Stick that on it. Give it elevons or just elevator/rudder. They really are non-critical designs.

Second idea - how about an Ebenezer with micro r/c?

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 23/03/2020 13:09:45

• 2 weeks later...

"I would consider building a Nutball other than the fact that I'm a traditional balsa and ply man at heart and I don't have stocks of foam."

Second what Bob says. These things are great fun when finished. Laminate the outline, add in a few "spars" and "ribs". Cover the result. It'll take a bit longer than sawing it from sheet foam but will be just as good.

They fly - with throttle down and low rate movement - very slowly, they are stable and easy to do laid back circuits. With big movements, they will do six foot loops, rapid rolls. Juggle the throttle and they excel at a harrier (ish) crawl. With some power they scoot along quite rapidly.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 23/03/2020 13:07:35:

Why not make it from balsa if that's what you have? Nice 4*1/4*1/16" laminated ring outer with 1/4*1/8" spars/ribs, cover with whatever is to hand - doped christmas wrap? Got a PeeWee or TD 020? Stick that on it. Give it elevons or just elevator/rudder. They really are non-critical designs.

Second idea - how about an Ebenezer with micro r/c?

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 23/03/2020 13:09:45

Exactly. If one is so avidly allergic to foam what is stopping one from making a simple, small balsa slow flyer?

I put a GWS Pico Stik together in a couple of hours at the weekend. These are a superb slow flying model for a wee pootle around the garden, but they are not particularly aerobatic. No necessity for the plug in undercambered wings to be made from Depron, they could be made of balsa ribs a couple of spars and film covered.

David, with all due respect why not build a balsa nutball and give it a try? As they say don't knock it until you have tried it. Nutballs have a massive flight envelope from self centering and gentle circuits all the way up to (if you so wish) prop hanging and very entertaining inverted flight.

All that from something disk shaped

I for one would be interested to see how traditional materials could be used in a quick and uncomplicated build.

Bonus point, they are quite crash resistant although due to their flight characteristics are quite difficult to crash!

Hi all, I too may give it a go in these deparate times lol. Not into foam got to be balsa. A few questions please.In balsa would I have to build it bigger to keep wing loading down ? If I built ribs ,what would I cover it with. Finally who supplies all the micro stuff, like thin control rods, horns etc. Apologies for lots of questions. Cheers

Posted by fly boy3 on 14/04/2020 22:13:37:

Hi all, I too may give it a go in these deparate times lol. Not into foam got to be balsa. A few questions please.In balsa would I have to build it bigger to keep wing loading down ? If I built ribs ,what would I cover it with. Finally who supplies all the micro stuff, like thin control rods, horns etc. Apologies for lots of questions. Cheers

How about building an outer disc with laminated 1/4" x 1/16" and then flat ribs, again a couple of laminations for strength, every couple of inches. Cover the whole with any film you have laying about on the top surface only if you want. Control rods can be small diameter carbon rods, or balsa, and the horns just cut from thin ply. Keep it simple.