Rather Fast

Nigel R

Advert

What else does it do?

Sorry but its not doing it for me and i dont want to sound all nanny state but that really is too fast. In the blink of an eye that thing will travel such a distance that you cannot really impose any sort of safety distance from spectators. I accept that all models are dangerous, but this is another level.

Also, given the way model aircraft are classified now i suspect he is operating illegally as i believe aircraft are not permitted to exceed 250kts (about 290mph) when under 10000ft.

Again, apologies for being doom and gloom. Its technically very impressive but im not convinced its a good idea.

"WE haven't had a supersonic RC model yet but I think some of the DS people are getting close!"

761mph at sea level, I think.

Now that would be a challenge to fly (!)

Some closer numbers:

367mph mk1a Spit, somewhat slow by comparison.

454mph mk24 Spit, closer

462mph - this missile here...

479mph - Rare Bear, 2009 Reno Final, average

528mph is current 3km dash record for Reno unlimited racer.

"What else does it do?"

Like the average competitive object, it does just the one thing well.

Quick google says class A & B airspace have no restriction on speed. Could be wrong. Other classes 250kts is applicable in some EU countries.

CAA says 250kts in any space in this country.

Not sure where the video delta is flying.

Edited By Nigel R on 07/04/2020 15:19:25

Posted by Barrie Lever on 07/04/2020 14:52:58:

Simon

I see far more danger with free flight models at the RC power Nats and old duffers flying twice a year with a poorly prepared 1930's replica of whatever !!

So assume from that you're not going to grow old and become a OLD DUFFER perhaps you should stay away from the RC power Nats if you feel its dangerous

The video in the OP is dated from 2016 and the Germans have "speed competitions" every year, so I guess people have been trying to go faster ever since. I watched one video which showed a RC heli doing 193 mph through the time trap - a very interesting sound from the rotors!

Makes the 180mph at the top of the climb with my F5B models seem very pedestrian. This video shows me launching a friends model in 2015.

Some people just love pure speed and all they want is to go faster all the time. With F5B we have the challenge of after doing the fast bit, as shown in the video, we go straight into a 10 minute thermal duration without landing - best of both worlds really.

Dick