Good sources for balsa kits

Paul Jones 1

Hi, hoping you can help. It's a long story, and I'll spare you it for now... but could you possibly recommend a good source or two for us to find traditional balsa wood aircraft kits, a place that that stocks options which are time consuming to build, preferably with built up wing ? I'm guessing gliders are more common ?

I'm asking for my dad, he's a wood worker, he's bored, and we seriously need something to keep him busy......... I'll be honest, the plane will likely never fly, if it does, it'll be a test flight to prove that it works, then he'll likely take a best offer from someone at the flying field and go buy his next kit !

please share your wisdom, ideas for particular kits, advice on where to buy from

any help would be most appreciated !!

many thanks

Paul

Advert

DB Sport & Scale are a favourite kit supplier with many forum members, so check out their kits and also plan packs where they supply plan and wing ribs only.

Also look at SLEC for kits and also balsa and all the fittings.

Build something in the 48 to 60 inch wingspan range as it's less fiddly and will fly better.  The small planes of less than 40 inch span will be harder to fly and won't appeal much to buyers who are pilots not builders.   If you build a well known design in medium size such as the 52 inch Wot4 balsa KIT ( not ARTF) there will always be a buyer but you won't even get the kit cost back and certainly nothing for the time.  It's a labour of love - great fun.

Ask here on the forum for further advice as you progress.

Edited By kc on 29/04/2020 19:39:43

Posted by Bell Ringer on 29/04/2020 19:34:56:

D B Sport & Scale. All built up kits with no foam anywhere. All (except the Gringo) designed by David Boddington (and don't say who?)

Yes, the original Gringo had a foam wing. I built one about 18 years ago and mentioned to Boddo (he used to attend the RR (Hucknall) MAC scale weekend) that I had and he said then that he hadn't designed it. In fact there's a photo of me and my Gringo on the DB site where the new improved version is illustrated.

The new 60" Sopwith Pup is a new design as well but even that has roots in the smaller version designed by Boddo. DB is certainly one of the goto places for balsa kits. Fortunately, there's still a few kit manufacturers out there as indicated by Bell Ringer and apparently doing excellent business as we all self-isolate in sheds across the land.

Geoff

Posted by Geoff S on 30/04/2020 14:33:39:
Posted by Bell Ringer on 29/04/2020 19:34:56:

D B Sport & Scale. All built up kits with no foam anywhere. All (except the Gringo) designed by David Boddington (and don't say who?)

Yes, the original Gringo had a foam wing. I built one about 18 years ago and mentioned to Boddo (he used to attend the RR (Hucknall) MAC scale weekend) that I had and he said then that he hadn't designed it. In fact there's a photo of me and my Gringo on the DB site where the new improved version is illustrated.

Gringo is fully built up wing now. I am going to start building one soon. I bought it a couple of months ago, but decided that I'd build some little traditional build models first. I bought three kits from Vintage Model Company just to get my eye back in. I'll be adding a build thread for the DB gringo when I finally get around to starting the build!

• 4 months later...