Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang

RICHARD WILLS

9 hours ago, Graham Davies 3 said:

Gordon, you could use a bigger d-type. There's a 15 pin version that is the same size as the 9-way. Job's a good'un!

Graham,

Thanks very much for the answer. When I realised that I had 5 servo connections to make through the connector, I had thought of buying a 15-pin connector. However, I had already bought a bag of 9-pin plugs and sockets from RS!

So I will likely use two of the 9-pin D-sub connectors. It adds weight unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, Gordon McConnell said:

Graham,

Thanks very much for the answer. When I realised that I had 5 servo connections to make through the connector, I had thought of buying a 15-pin connector. However, I had already bought a bag of 9-pin plugs and sockets from RS!

So I will likely use two of the 9-pin D-sub connectors. It adds weight unfortunately.

You could 'common' the ground and power lines. You'll only need 7 connections then!

2 hours ago, Jonathan S said:

Tim

R6A should be on the lazer cut sheet. It is a very shot rib more like a riblet. 

In my kit it’s labelled R6F and forms part of the flap, not the aileron. I think this is a change since the prototype and is why the aileron spars are now a little short.

All,

I have nearly finished sheeting the wing and getting ready to put the leading edge strip on.  I have a couple of issues it seems to be a bit larger than the gap its supposed to fit in.  Do I sand the sheet flush with the end of the ribs?

Secondly I still  cannot find the rest of the strip for the wings any chance you can post a pic of what I am looking for? 

Guys sorry to have not 'chiped' in, although set to notify me of posts I am getting no notifications.???

Gordon, by grouping the common rails you will need to ensure the wire is heavy enough for the current demand both sides of the connector also the current limit for the pins is good for 5 amps so again it needs to be checked.

Thats one reason I reverse the flap servo. Or you could do what Eric has done and place them both in the same orientation.

On 13/02/2021 at 20:41, Graham Davies 3 said:

You could 'common' the ground and power lines. You'll only need 7 connections then!

May I suggest that if you are using a 9 way connector, you may as well use them all? The problem with putting all commons through 1 pin is that if that pin fails, all wing functions fail and a crash is inevitable. I'd suggest 1 common for left aileron plus left flap, 1 common for right aileron plus right flap and one common for the undercarriage servos = 9 total. That way if any one fails, you'll still have control of at least one aileron, which might just allow you to get it down in one piece.

Edited by Gary Manuel
Edited for my poor Grandma.
  • Like 1

Just looking for clarity on the attachment of the aileron horn attachment plate.  

The instructions call for it to be attached to the rib but ismit also glued to the top sheet.  My thoughts were it would be better to attach to the bottom sheet and thus make it at the same angle as the rib?

I agree Jonathan. But, since the upper surface is sheeted first, I found it easier to glue the plate to the upper sheeting. I then glued on a block of balsa and sanded it back to the contour of the ribs before adding the lower sheeting. You may like to add scraps of balsa behind the aileron spar at the hinge points too - something I realise that I forgot!

1 hour ago, Jonathan S said:

Trevor, thanks for that I might try to use some basla to shim it up to have it at the right angle to match the rib so it will attache to the bottom sheet.

Last question do you attach it flush with the Aileron spar? or should it be furher back towards the trailing edge. ?

Jon , I glued mine in place on the bottom of the aileron spar prior to sheeting the bottom of the aileron, you will get more strength attaching it to the spar and some packing helps. it needs to be firm as you will be putting pressure on when screwing the horn on. If you place a r piece of balsa about 1/2" wide over the ribs and bring the plate up to it then it will be in line for the bottom sheeting .

Hi guys

At last I'm getting notifications...

Anyway for those who were interested on how I detail my models here's a little guide using a marker pen, gel pen and very thin black wash.

20210216_101058.thumb.jpg.132996e17200093c33856e85e9b30eec.jpg

Starting with the blank canvas Decals go on first. This is the opposite side as I was sparse with the pictures.

20210216_102704.thumb.jpg.ba92969b573a36f47e6ec78de5263d8c.jpg

Next I marked out all the detail lines I wanted VERY lightly in pencil followed by drawing over these with the 0.1mm permanent marker then LIGHTLY and intermittently above and in front of the black lines draw the white with the gel pen. It does help that the gel pen seems to like the material to help it NOT make a continuous line!

20210216_101118.thumb.jpg.5355cef14c43a41a01876a659aec5f5b.jpg  

Lastly I used a black wash paint made very heavily thinning some black paint to almost a dirty thinners. Using a piece of paper to define the panel edge and using an almost dry brush create a few subtle random streaks.

20210216_102608.thumb.jpg.944e2c97f083c96da9263bde000f2a90.jpg

If you use too much black in the wash it tends to be far too heavy and lose it's subtlety.

The last picture was taken in normal daylight to try and show it as it would be outside.

Well that's my take on detailing and hope some find it useful. I'm sure there are many different approaches to this subject and hopefully the more shared the more we all learn.   

• Like 3