Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang

RICHARD WILLS

Advert

Posted by Chris Walby on 28/01/2021 22:05:18:

PS IMHO don't like D connectors , not designed for servo power and a bit of a bugger to solder, do prefer the MPX ones, but that's only my opinion. wink

Each pin on a D type is good for 5A, if your servo's are pulling this they will be kinda melting by this point..wink

If you think about the actual pin size of the servo plug versus the D type, the D type is a lot bigger.

I only use MPX 6 or 8 pin connectors for either Gliders or power models of electric or ic flavour, Here it helps also that I have the mould for the hot glue isolation This

Made the decision to invest in a neat, safe system years ago, although the heatshrink and epoxy did work to a point it , this way seems way better for continued pulling apart as in the wing connection.

Posted by Nigel Dell on 29/01/2021 12:59:41:

I only use MPX 6 or 8 pin connectors for either Gliders or power models of electric or ic flavour, Here it helps also that I have the mould for the hot glue isolation This

Made the decision to invest in a neat, safe system years ago, although the heatshrink and epoxy did work to a point it , this way seems way better for continued pulling apart as in the wing connection.

You know when you feel like that really warm feeling when someone shows you something that is just sooo cooolllll. That feeling, I have it. The hot glue gun mould is bloody genius! laugh

Posted by David Hazell 1 on 29/01/2021 15:16:00:

You know when you feel like that really warm feeling when someone shows you something that is just sooo cooolllll. That feeling, I have it. The hot glue gun mould is bloody genius! laugh

30 Euros! Genius has its price.

10m of Self amalgamating tape is far cheaper. Toolstation.

Edited By Phil McCavity on 29/01/2021 16:37:14

Posted by David Hazell 1 on 29/01/2021 15:16:00:

David

was that way for me too, I was using MPX plugs anyway but the mould hit the spot, with the availability of different coloured glue sticks it makes colour coded connections very easy and there is plenty to hold onto when pulling apart without any stress on the wiring, I think Nexus do/did the moulds, but look around I paid between £20-25 pounds for mine, got the 6 and 8 pin. Also a hot glue gun for each colour keeps it simple.

I figure we invest a lot of money in these toys in either money, time or both, my case moulded Gliders when I decided to ‘invest’, a pet hate of mine is seeing 1.5K Model with a £2 installation and I have seen enough of those, I know if I sell something later on it will be reliable, by the same token I will pass on things that look thrown together unless I intend to refurb the whole instillation from the start which means the airframe is of particular interest to me.

you pays your money and makes your choice.

I do still have two models with D connectors and still giving Stirling service, one from a friend that he designed as his competition glider that I trust implicitly and the other a NaN Xplorer which has the wing connectors moulded in the wing for the supplied D connectors, I did make a mould for the fuselage side of the connection which worked very well so you don’t have to buy one if you feel up to making them.

P.S. It sounds like I am against using D connectors, which I am not, they have served me well in the past, just with Gliders I wanted something a little smaller for my particular installs.

Edited By Nigel Dell on 29/01/2021 17:52:25

Well said Nigel, the one thing a lot miss is ALL aircraft, models and full size, all suffer from failures. Both electrical and mechanical. What does dramatically reduce those occurancies is regular checks and maintenance. How many of us actually do a full preflight/postflight check?

So regardless of what options we use, don't assume it's going to last forever.. check it!

Spot on Paul, for more years than I care to remember I have planned my flying day the previous morning, checked over the models decided upon for surface hinge and control runs integrity, batteries which are not kept in the models and radio checks, if the model has not flown for a while then a check on range although I probably check this every other outing anyway.

Well , while you have all been plugging away , I have been painting with a nice green from Band Q called "Wind in the Willows"(note to self , must cut back on the fibre ) .

Its from their Valspar Bookcase range and was about £3 for 238ml . Very matt and very olive drab . I painted it on with a soft brush and stippled the soft edge with a 15mm sponge .

The only thing is that its started to look less like a P51 .

Eric !! Whats happened ??p38 ft1.jpg

Edited By RICHARD WILLS on 30/01/2021 12:40:24

Posted by Phil McCavity on 30/01/2021 12:49:33:

Richard, where is your article on weathering? I've looked on your site and clicked on the link but nothing appears, the Spitfire build does but the weathering lesson is gone!

Richard was supposed to do an piece on it, but so far hasn't, so I've solved the problem of the link not working by taking the link off the site. One day he will.

Posted by Phil McCavity on 30/01/2021 12:49:33:

Richard, where is your article on weathering? I've looked on your site and clicked on the link but nothing appears, the Spitfire build does but the weathering lesson is gone!

Funny you should ask that Phil . As a matter of fact , I have just recently started contracting that part of the painting out . clangers.jpg

I know Trevor is going down the same route .

Posted by RICHARD WILLS on 30/01/2021 12:39:29:

Well , while you have all been plugging away , I have been painting with a nice green from Band Q called "Wind in the Willows"(note to self , must cut back on the fibre ) .

Its from their Valspar Bookcase range and was about £3 for 238ml . Very matt and very olive drab . I painted it on with a soft brush and stippled the soft edge with a 15mm sponge .

The only thing is that its started to look less like a P51 .

Eric !! Whats happened ??p38 ft1.jpg

Edited By RICHARD WILLS on 30/01/2021 12:40:24

Richard ,it was supposed to be an F82 twin Mustang you have been too near the glue pot again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfsMZKwqw3w

You might think that this off topic , but there is a cracking bit where the Soup Dragon loses it with metal chicken . After that , stick with it till the end as she actually lays something relevant to our thread .

Edited By RICHARD WILLS on 30/01/2021 14:13:00