Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang

RICHARD WILLS

1 hour ago, Jonathan S said:

Tim , Paul, 

Some general advise on how to hinge would be good for us first time builders. 

I am a while away from that but next jobs I am unsure on are the hinges and shaping the wing tips.  So general advise on these common techniques in relation to our p51 would be great.  

Jonathan,

I'll do some drawings to explain my method of hinging, as taught to me by Obi wan.....

Mmmmmm or was that Princess Leia ??

1 hour ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl-aUbN3b5c

Dont forget to pin the hinges , especially if you like to fly low . 

Yeah that's low......but this is Looooooooooow! (Warning of language after 35 seconds)

Low spit

Keep watching for the still shot just to see how low!

Edited by Phil McCavity

Paul, 

Great! Thanks for the photos. I wondered how the panel would fit, now it’s clear that cutting the support back and going through the ‘floor’ will do the job.

I like the colour scheme on your B model. Paint and weathering looks excellent. I have a lot to do before attempting the covering and painting. 

Thanks again. 

Not me David because I always pin them. It doesn't take long so I can't see the point of skipping the step.

However, I saw 2 incidents of control surfaces ripping off at my old club: a rudder that was survivable, and an elevator that was not! I have to say though, in both cases it was a combination of poor practices. I think there may have been a bit of control slop in the elevator incident, and there were warning signs of flutter before it went critical. However, the hinge attachment was the first point to fail.

Graham

1 hour ago, David Hazell 1 said:

Regarding hinges chaps... Has anyone actually had un-pinned hinges ever pull out? I ask because the last plane I build I didn't bother to pin them... 

I've had unpinned flat hinges pull out in an arrival, which was disappointing, because you would think that the "peg" created by the epoxy flowing through the wee holes in the hinge would be sufficient to key the hinge into the balsa, These were on a pre-owned model and I hadn't fitted them so I can't be sure what was used to fit them. They are all resecured now with hinge glue -one of my lockdown discoveries that I'd had on the shelf but rarely used before. I'm a convert to that, from epoxy - so much neater,

After this happened to me I always pin the hinges. I don't know what it is with this aeroplane but after repair it still pulls away on this aileron,  it has no slop in the linkage no sign of flutter when flying, It has a Saito 125 fs up front which has a slight vibration and yes the prop is balanced.  Note the rudder also pulled away.

DSC_0621[914].JPG

Edited by Eric Robson
  • Sad 1