Who is building what?

Advert

Posted by EarlyBird on 18/08/2020 11:23:33:

From the plan on Outerzone at 36" span it is 3.5" under the tip. I take this to mean under each tip. For your double size 72" then 7" under each tip 14" if one wing is flat to the board.

As you have drawn the brace with one side flat to the board at 9" you will have 3.5", at 18" - 7" and at 36" - 14".

Please check before cutting any wood!

Cheers beer

Steve

Well I only got a Grade 6 in Maths at O Level but if the measurement should be 7 inches at the wing tip with the centre section flat on the board, and each wing-half of my double sized model is 36", then the measurement should be 3.5" at 18" and 1.75" at 9".

Almost finished the woodwork on my Aeromaster:

20200813_105207.jpg

The wings are looking a bit clipped here - tips yet to be added.

Might be best described as an Aeromaster clone? Same size, same areas, but different construction and tip shapes.

Edited By Nigel R on 19/08/2020 09:17:05

4462.jpgI am just starting to build a 1 1/2 times American Dragon. converted to electric power.

There will be no plans for this so I will not bother with the hassle of setting up a build blog.

Original plans on Outer Zone.

Just done the ribs for the top wing...40 of them including nose ribs!

Edited By Peter Miller on 19/08/2020 10:47:27

Stolp StarletStolp starletwhen lockdown started I decided to have a rifle through my plans drawer. I have an interest in "Home Built" aircraft and have previously built models off a Pietenpol Aircamper and an Armar Gorrion. These are both parasol wing designs, so when I found a plan of a Stolp Starlet I decided to give it a go. Now five months later I am nearing completion. I have to now make the wing struts,finish decorating the wing and find a suitable pilot. I have had to modify the plan a lot as certain areas were very weak. For example the wing had no shear webs or cap strips shown on the plan and the tailplane structure was very flimsy. Power is an SC 70 fs.

I have added some pictures but have no idea how to get them in the right order.

Edited By Richard Acland on 19/08/2020 12:07:14

Edited By Richard Acland on 19/08/2020 12:11:38

Posted by Peter Miller on 19/08/2020 10:38:06:

4462.jpgI am just starting to build a 1 1/2 times American Dragon. converted to electric power.

There will be no plans for this so I will not bother with the hassle of setting up a build blog.

Haha, just read your original 1992 Radio Modeller article - very good!!

I note that at the end you say "I am sure that if anyone scaled it up to about 45" span and fitted ailerons they would have a sensational model." I'm glad to see that you yourself have taken only 38 years to rise to the challenge - and wish you a very sensational model indeed!

laugh

Posted by Jonathan M on 19/08/2020 20:59:01:
Posted by Peter Miller on 19/08/2020 10:38:06:

I am just starting to build a 1 1/2 times American Dragon. converted to electric power.

Haha, just read your original 1992 Radio Modeller article - very good!!

I note that at the end you say "I am sure that if anyone scaled it up to about 45" span and fitted ailerons they would have a sensational model." I'm glad to see that you yourself have taken only 38 years to rise to the challenge - and wish you a very sensational model indeed!

laugh

ER....only 28 yearscheeky

Even though my DB Sopwith Pup stubbornly refuses to finish its last 10% mostly because of its builder's lassiude I built Liddle Stik a month or two ago and successfully test flew I'm contemplating a couple of new projects.

I ordered the CNC cut parts for Peter Miller's L'l Cub from SLEC yesterday so that will probably keep me occupied whilst my self isolation from actually flying continues.

Then I remembered that a couple of years ago I bought the plans, the CNC cut parts (from iGull) and the carbon fuselage and spars (from Hyperflight) for Trevor Wain's 2 metre competition esoarer. Trevor was a member at Ashbourne and I saw him test flying. It's not a very easy build and I think that's what made me put it away for future use - I think its time might have arrived.

This is it:

flying (6 of 6).jpg

It uses quite cheap servos and motor and flies on a 3S 1000mAH LiPo. I've no intention of competing but I quite fancied the idea of a high performance eSoarer. Has anyone here built one?

Geoff