Radio cases

Paul Law

Been looking at transmitter cases of late as one of mine has seen better days, one of the Logic cases which is a bit battered and bruised.

How do you all carry/store your transmitters to and from the field, what cases in your opinion offer the best protection and value for money considering how much we all spend on Transmitters and many of us I guess own more than one ?

How do you cut the foam inserts to fit round the transmitter ?

Thoughts ?

Cheers,

Paul

Advert

My Spektrum DX7 and Futaba FF8 (with FRSKY module) are both in a cheapy aluminium attache case, with an insert of dense foam to hold them in place. The foam was cut with a razor saw and Stanley knife. and consists of several smaller blocks, with cut outs for the aerial.

My DX9 is in one of those Logic RC aluminium cases on it;s own - that has the dense foam insert pre-cut for that style of TX and it fits quite snugly. When I go sloping the FF8 with it's FRSKY module just gets lobbed in the rucksack, inside a poly bag, just in case it rains.

The little E-Flite, Ares and Parkzone TXs for my indoor models are in a smaller aluminium attache case, complete with chargers and with no foam insert.

Most caes seem tohave foam precut into cubes so you just pull the areas out to fit the Tx.

My Txs live in cases, One came from Maplin and it is pretty big.The other is smaller but I can't remember where I got it.

These days I have reduced the stuff I take to the field to save as much weight as possible so the Tx goes in my back pack.

My FrSky transmitters came with aluminium cases which are pretty hard to beat. Before that I used to buy aluminium flight cases from B&Q and carve the supplied foam inserts to a snug fit around the transmitters. They can be quite literally thrown in the back of the car and other gear can safely be piled on top with no fear for the tx inside. Many also have enough free space to store a sarni and picnic/mars/twix etc chocolate bar of choice too.

As for cutting the foam, an electric carving knife is a handy tool for carving foam rubber blocks.

My Two-Tranny Logic's still giving good service after many many years but's too cumbersome to cart too far to the slope edge, My solution was a thin dense foam sheet about the size of the Tx fitting across the back, a thicker sheet of dense foam with appropriate cut-outs to go on the front. Then depending on the volume of your bag/ rucksack the Tx is protected by necessary additional clothing or 'el cheapo' soft car washing sponges ( a quid a time ) from the tins of pop, necessary hand tools, tape etc - and being dropped! Works for me. Regarding your moribund Logic case - a replacement wouldn't cost any more than one or two half decent servos - or do a Bob and visit B&Q - or as an extreme measure buy a cheap knockoff down the market and customise appropriately.

Posted by Paul Law on 06/06/2020 10:22:52:

Been looking at transmitter cases of late as one of mine has seen better days, one of the Logic cases which is a bit battered and bruised.

How do you all carry/store your transmitters to and from the field, what cases in your opinion offer the best protection and value for money considering how much we all spend on Transmitters and many of us I guess own more than one ?

How do you cut the foam inserts to fit round the transmitter ?

Thoughts ?

Cheers,

Paul

You can go 'over the top' with these things.

For example, I mostly use an approx £450 Multiplex Royal SX transmitter. A genuine Multiplex case is about 60 quid. And a case is not essential anyway.

A larger one made out of aluminium, with a felt lining, a good strong handle, several movable felt covered 'separators' and a foam block you can cut out to any shape you want (a sharp kitchen knife is a good tool for this) is 14 quid from B&Q. The transmitter in the foam block occupies about two thirds of the width, then a separator in one of the standard grooves, leaves a nice space for a charging cable, a plug-in wireless training dongle, and a few odds and ends.

Why pay several times as much for a specific 'transmitter' case? It's not a if you are being sponsored to advertise their stuff.

I look at my fly fishing rods and sometimes think the fancy 'rod tube' they often come in must cost more to make than the rod itself

Paul

I get my cases from here, I do have various makes from the past but got onto these when looking for more secure means of supplying 3D parts and models at work, a great selection, good prices and very quick delivery, really good to deal with and to top it all off they do various inserts and foam blocks for you to Taylor to your needs, good quality gear.

I have no connection to them other than a satisfied customer.

Cases

Similar to Bob's earlier reply... My last two txs have come with a case supplied - a metal case for the Frsky Taranis and a slightly smaller non-metal case for the FrSky Horus. Both were pre-cut for the specific transmitter and the Horus case has storage for club/BMFA membership cards, etc. as well as giving good protection to the tx when not in use.

Before that I had a small case bought, if I remember correctly, from Woolworths where it was sold as a case for power tools. A chunk of foam inside, cut to the right shape with a modelling knife did a good enough job for my previous Futaba transmitters.

Well after all the cases i have had have fallen apart , i have found that the cases  to use which are water/dust proof and are very ruggad are what are generally called pelican cases(and thier coppies) they come in different sizes and most have pluck foam to fit your item. see this item just for what i am getting at

Edited By flight1 on 06/06/2020 18:05:21

I have a JR DSX 9 transmitter,

Strange thing in my opinion is that the foam is cut so the aerial could potentially take a impact if the case slips out of your hand...

when you open the case the radio is presented to you in a nice way,,,, but is it the best way to protect the transmitter

Posted by bert baker on 06/06/2020 18:16:14:

I have a JR DSX 9 transmitter,

Strange thing in my opinion is that the foam is cut so the aerial could potentially take a impact if the case slips out of your hand...

when you open the case the radio is presented to you in a nice way,,,, but is it the best way to protect the transmitter

Like Bert, my DSX9 is in a case, mine is similar to the one Kevin uses for his Taranis and DX7 but I put the Tx in the case with the base opposite the handle. ie upside down.

My T14SG Tx sits in a FUTABA labelled case which is designed for the Tx to fit with the base at the handle end - never thought about the danger to the aerial before and I have dropped the case before now.

I have always thought it strange that comercial cases are cut to hold the Tx upside down.

As Bert says all the presure is on the softest bits, antenna and switches.

I use a selection of re purposed metal and plastic cases. But always with the Tx side or top toward the handle.

I use a 9mm snap off blade knife to cut the foam but it is a bit wobbly. I wonder if hot wire would be better .

I've never seen a case with the transmitter deliberately held upside down. What a very strange thing for manufacturers to do.

Those old hard plastic cases for the Futaba FF8 were very compact and tight for space, but the TX was definitely held uprights. Used to be a pain at fly-ins though, as there were so many of them in the TX pound.

Posted by leccyflyer on 07/06/2020 09:32:45:

I've never seen a case with the transmitter deliberately held upside down. What a very strange thing for manufacturers to do.

Those old hard plastic cases for the Futaba FF8 were very compact and tight for space, but the TX was definitely held uprights. Used to be a pain at fly-ins though, as there were so many of them in the TX pound.

Not strange at all, it is the normal thing with all equipment cases made for relatively 'flat' things, the handle and closures being at the top or if laid flat, near to you, and the hinges being at the bottom or away from you.

Open it from the usual   'laid down' position  and the equipment presents to you the correct way.

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 08/06/2020 16:13:51

So I suppose I am the only one on here with a pink anodised aluminium case with a mirror in the lid. My DX8 has resided in there for 7 years. It was donated to me by my daughter. It originally contained hair brushes and other similar tools. It is very well made with reinforced corners and a good catch. Surprisingly I have received little ribbing about it My other two transmitters reside in proper tx cases bought second hand at the nats years ago.