Laser Engines development.

Jon H

Just to clarify a few things as there seems to be some confusion. 

Any specific engine like the 61 created solely as a commemorative item will be limited run. 40 years = 40 engines, that sort of thing. It would then never appear again. The item would also have to have some sort of meaning behind it for it for it to work. This is why i thought of the 61 as it has a clear place in the history of the company. The 61 also still has its DNA in our range as everything since is developed from it. I wont just polish up any engine and flog it off at a higher price. It needs to have some sort of significant to it and so far the 61 is the only one i can think of that will fit the criteria i had in mind. 

Still, from the point of view of getting a powerplant for your model they would be bad value, but that isnt the point. Commemorative stuff is never good value if you look at using it for its designed purpose. However, would you ever use a commemorative plate from the Queen's coronation for your Sunday roast? No, and you dont value it as you would a dinner plate from ikea and its hung on the wall. You would not drink a VJ Day commemorative bottle of wine for the same reason. I dont think anyone ran the gold saito engines, they were commemorative pieces and while they worked they were never used. Futaba did an anniversary edition of the FF6. It was just a faceplate on the radio in the same way that a rocker cover would be on an engine. OS have done rocker covers before as well as precious metal plating so there are two levels in the market for this stuff. 

If you want an engine with a nod to the anniversary but you want to use every day the new rocker covers would cover that. Any limited edition engines would be an option for those who want something more should they go ahead. There would be nothing to stop you using one mind you and our old 61 went like the clappers! 

Radials and other fancy stuff aint gonna happen. If i finally get a radial sorted, i want to sell way more than 40. Also with a limited run each would be telephone number prices where as something smaller and simpler would not. And again, it has no resonance with the company history. 

A 40 size engine would need to be a clean slate design, which aint gonna happen. If it did i would again want to sell more than 40. Any engine i do sell will be fully functional.

One idea that came up in conversation with a customer was a lottery. You enter for a chance to win said 61 anniversary whatever. If you win, you get an engine for the price of the ticket (40 years means 40 quid?). If you really want to increase your odds, enter twice! Not sure of the legality or morality of that mind you as i imagine anyone not winning would be miffed. 

So the fly in

I am having flashbacks to the last time we discussed this and remembering why it didnt happen.

Its a Laser only event. All models are welcome as long as they are Laser powered. 5x ten minute slots per hour with a few minutes between each for the change over. The 5 slots can be... vintage/slow scale, sport/aerobatic, small fast scale, large fast scale...something else? The point is we do not want the heavy metal warbird guys cutting up the blokes with their majestic majors so we need some structure. Unless the old warden 'open mic' style is deemed better? Either way, i want everyone who attends to get equal chance to fly so we need to group like models together somehow and prevent conflicts. It will mean you might have to wait to fly a given type of model, but even if you have only one model you still get one flight an hour at least leaving a good 45 minutes to have a cup of tea and do what ever modellers do during the 99% of the flying day that is not actual flying or any flying related activity. As a side show, I wonder if i should setup some sort of area for fights to the death? Castor in the red corner and synthetic in the blue? Place your bets on who will win. Nose up vs no nose up, the big fight live at midday. Results decided by a panel of judges made up of me, me, and me. Allegations of result fixing will be ignored 🙂 

There would also be display slots for specific models/events. a massed group of tigermoths, stampes, chipmunks etc, massed twin cylinder warbirds, there could even be a massed acrowot slot, the 'how many laser 80's can we fly at once' slot... I dont care really, the idea is to have some fun and appreciate the variety of models being powered by the same engine. Anyone turning their nose up at something someone else brings along will be given a castor infested laser 75 and told they cannot fly until its spotlessly clean and has the cams in the right place. That is a fate worse than death so even if you have a 30 year old wot4 that has been flogged to within an inch of its life dont be afraid to bring it along. 

All we need now is a venue 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mike Mc said:

How about some photos of the original Laser 61.

http://modelenginenews.org/prod/laser61.html 

Bit of info there

9 minutes ago, Mike Mc said:

40th Rocker Covers, I like that idea for flyable engines. Maybe anodize the crankcase and/or heads to match?

Why not offer two 61's. One that's a fancy collector's only edition and one that's less expensive that you would actually fly.

I am not looking to introduce a new engine into the range. It will be a limited run and once its gone its gone. Also, as a standalone engine the 61 would not stand up well against its modern competition due to its physical size and weight. The reason i favour it is its significance to the company and its history. With those factors in mind it works fine as a piece for a collector or enthusiast so that it how i would aim it. Everyone else gets a fancy rocker cover. 

• Like 2

I guess the manufacture of a special rocker cover is the most cost effective way of marking your 40th anniversary. I assume the rocker cover is a common component across all your product range. So making a batch of covers having them anodised is a cost effective solution. The batch size is the same as your annual engine output. A fly in is a good idea.If you could combine that with customers collecting their anniversary engine/s you have a great photo opportunity for on going publicity material. Perhaps inviting modellers who have used Laser engines to good effect in competition would also provide another photo opportunity. Make sure to promise that an AGC banner will be prominent in all photos that should help sell the idea to your boss!

On 19/11/2022 at 19:04, Dirk Witvrouwen 1 said:

@Jon - Laser Engines, I understand you want to selibrate the 40 years. As boring as it may be, I would think lots of customers would much prefer production slots being used to replenish stock. So my vote is against a special engine run.  

General production would not be impacted. If i make 40 specials over the year that isnt even one engine a week. Improving supply is a priority as well though. 

On 19/11/2022 at 21:10, Mike Mc said:

BTW, any news on the valve spring problem?

Yep, i have springs now but it is taking time to catch up. 

IMO actually getting a weekend at Buckminster will be the problem, 2024 perhaps? Hence why I mentioned the Beer and Warbirds where you can fly as many times as you are prepared to sit in a que (busiest was about 30 minutes, cleanly not enough for some) and it removes the risk of paying for a venue and it being rained off. + associated costs. Plus if there are enough Laser powered there might be a couple of dedicated slots.

But hay ho, find a venue that don't have a noise issue, are prepared to allow exclusive use by a bunch of visitors all weekend and if it rains no-one get their deposit back.

PS i am not against a non refundable deposit for all the facilities that Buckminster provide.

I have someone checking dates for me at Buckminster and we are going to see what they have. 

I am actually leaning towards possibly doing it on a Friday as there is going to be better availability and its cheaper too. With 6 months+ notice would it be difficult for folk to book a day off work and have the event on Friday, and then the whole weekend to do whatever they want.

In conversation there has also been the suggestion of one or two ground events, perhaps during a lunch break. If i can get the boss on board and he can bring the gear would an engine tuning demo be of interest? 

One point that was raised by my partner in crime was the probability of me spending all day tuning every engine on the field. While i am not opposed to providing advice/assistance, i will not be dealing with a long queue of models/engines needing a full maintenance overhaul or extensive troubleshooting. If everyone brings me their most unreliable model in the hope i will fix it for them then we will have a bit of an issue so please dont do that. 

Update hot off the press. June 2nd appears to be our golden ticket. No weekends available at Buckminster so its on the Firday. I will make a dedicated thread for it shortly so we dont gum up the works here. 

Edited by Jon - Laser Engines

Ah that's a shame. I'm up in Edinburgh so Buckminster events mean me travelling down the day before and shame to use a day's leave but if that's all they have available then so be it. 

I'd love a display of the engineering concept engines and also to see a run of the multicyclinder engines like the inline engines. 

Thx! 

38 minutes ago, Aerotec said:

Ah that's a shame. I'm up in Edinburgh so Buckminster events mean me travelling down the day before and shame to use a day's leave but if that's all they have available then so be it. 

I'd love a display of the engineering concept engines and also to see a run of the multicyclinder engines like the inline engines. 

Thx! 

Yea Buckminster got the nod due its mostly central location and it has all the facilities we need. Its got bogs, food, parking, camping, first aid. It just makes things so much easier. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

I have someone checking dates for me at Buckminster and we are going to see what they have. 

I am actually leaning towards possibly doing it on a Friday as there is going to be better availability and its cheaper too. With 6 months+ notice would it be difficult for folk to book a day off work and have the event on Friday, and then the whole weekend to do whatever they want.

In conversation there has also been the suggestion of one or two ground events, perhaps during a lunch break. If i can get the boss on board and he can bring the gear would an engine tuning demo be of interest? 

One point that was raised by my partner in crime was the probability of me spending all day tuning every engine on the field. While i am not opposed to providing advice/assistance, i will not be dealing with a long queue of models/engines needing a full maintenance overhaul or extensive troubleshooting. If everyone brings me their most unreliable model in the hope i will fix it for them then we will have a bit of an issue so please dont do that. 

Update hot off the press. June 2nd appears to be our golden ticket. No weekends available at Buckminster so its on the Firday. I will make a dedicated thread for it shortly so we dont gum up the works here. 

Great plan. I will try to make it - it's also an excuse to visit the Buckminster site, which I have not yet visited!

5 minutes ago, Flying Squirrel said:

I love the sound of this but please make it an event for spectators as well, not all laser fans have the desire, skill, or qualifications to fly at a show.

Nothing stopping you turning up and just enjoying what's going on regardless of whether you want to just watch or fly.

The Buckminster site is very well done and worth the visit. 👍

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Flying Squirrel said:

I love the sound of this but please make it an event for spectators as well, not all laser fans have the desire, skill, or qualifications to fly at a show.

As a fly in and not a public show my understanding is there are no requirements limiting who can fly but i will double check that. Not having the desire is fair enough, but i wouldnt worry about skill. The idea here is not to try and show off who is the best pilot, its to just fly and have fun. If you are satisfied and comfortable with just flying around circuits then do that. There is no mandate for aerobatic excellence or a model so big it has its own post code. Just bring whatever you have, even if you decide on the day its not for you after all and it remains a static exhibit. 

I would like to put on some special flights mainly for spectators though.  A large gathering of 1/4 tiger moths and similar models all in the air at once, a flight of twin powered warbirds. Stuff like that. 

• Like 2