Laser Engines development.

Jon H

For god's sake Jon please don't put the price up, only if you have to.

The better off's, the have's, can buy the more expensive stuff, us lesser mortals can't.

My laser jam jar is Gunna take some time to fill !

40th anniversary engine, a standard engine but a coloured finish and milled or cast in identity and number, like number 7 of a possible 40 made.

Think of a competition for one ( forty would be nice but way tooooo expensive to give away ), competion entry answered correctly placed in a hat, one lucky winner ?

The price of any limited edition is going to be higher than a standard engine. Only the customer can decide if the price is worth it to them. Saito charged more for their golden knight engines and they were identical to the silver ones. People didnt seem to mind and went for the bling! 

All that said, i have no plans to gold plate something and sell it for thousands like OS and Saito. 

A 40 is a great idea, but very unlikely. I do have one idea for a 'new' engine but it wouldnt be a 40 or (sorry Ron) a radial. 

Remember that i want a radial too but as a regular item and not a limited run 😉 

Edited by Jon - Laser Engines

Firstly congrats on 40 years, you took the baton and have done laser proud.

I like the idea of different finishes on standard engines. maybe add the purchases u=initials like I believe they did in years gone by.

Also a limited run of smaller engines would be great, and perhaps affordable to the wider masses? Not least because I'll be in the market for something along those lines next year!! 

Congrats on 40 years and hopefully many more successful ones. 

As for a special anniversary engine, I guess that is fine. Although I don't think I would buy one.

My only question is what would a person do with it?  If you are going to sit and look at it, it seems like a waste of money.

If you are going to fly it, you mind as well not bother spending the extra money as it may be enclosed in a cowl, and no one will know the difference but you. Plus, a bad day at the field and that special engine may up being junk. 

When the day comes to hang up the hobby and you are still here you may not get back what you bought it for.  If you are no longer here, you wouldn't care what it goes for as you won't be around.    

Anyway, congrats again.

1 hour ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

Venue liable to have various options, would think there'd be Laser owners willing to chip in with organising alongside Jon, you lads could make for a good event somewhere.

Excellent idea! The Laser Engines Group I run on Facebook also has loads of folk who would likely love to attend a Laser fly in! 

https://m.facebook.com/groups/3214227645472741/

Thanks for the input chaps. 

A fly in is a great idea, booked in the brain to discuss with the boss. I have wanted to do a fly in for ages and this is an even better excuse. My only worry is the british weather and keeping the event informal enough that it can be cancelled the day before without anyone being out of pocket or majorly inconvenienced. It would be a shame to organise it and then all stand around in the rain so booking a venue months in advance is not something i am a big fan of. 

To answer the point about what you would do with a special anniversary engine i guess that it up to you. You can fly it, or put it in a glass case. AT the end of the day only the customer can decide if the value proposition is acceptable. I mean how much were those gold saitos? a grand or something? People bought them and they go for crazy money on ebay. 

Still, perhaps a two pronged approach is called for..

Its very simple to give all of the engines a 40th anniversary rocker cover. Make it a nice colour, engrave it, whatever. All engines bought next year could have this feature so everyone gets to get an engine they would actually use and have little anniversary bling at no extra cost. 

This also leaves the door open to my original idea. 

What i thought about was a reissue of 40 new Laser 61's. The 61 was the first Laser ever made and i thought that a limited run of these with maybe a little stand or whatever would be nice for collectors or enthusiasts. The engine would be a modern take on the old 61 with a few upgrades on the original design. Partly this is because we have no original parts for the 61 any more, but also because it makes sense to use our newer spec parts as it makes it a better engine and reduces the development cost. so it would be a new engine in that sense but use the same bore, stroke, combustion chamber design etc as the original and i would probably see about styling it like the original...not sure yet. In any case, while the engine would clearly work and anyone buying one would be welcome to use it the primary target audience would be collectors and enthusiasts. 

i did already suggest this idea to the boss and his response was as expected, but if people find the idea attractive i hope to be so annoying he just gives in and does as i ask. That said, i dont want focus on that to distract from other work so a balance must be found. 

Jon,

Just my thoughts, does the 61 use existing common parts from the current range?

Is there anything else (different engine size) that can be made using current parts, but not in the current range? Top end of something on the bottom end of something else? Might be a no go as you don't want it to be too non standard and probably not possible with the compact design of current Laser engines, but worth an ask.

I could be seriously tempted for a matched pair of 61's and then find a model to put them into (Focke Wolf - wash my mouth out!).

As its 40 years you could look at it as releasing a new engine, be it a larger or smaller FT or inline, again you are i the best position to say if a 140FT etc is possible, my line of thought is use existing parts, but make something special, but sellable in the future? Special rocker covers this year and standard next year on a 140 FT. A light and compact engine so should be ok in most models of the right size (unless you can easily do a short stroke 80 pair). The thought is if they sell well the the boss should be happy as its another engine in the range with minimum new parts increase.

Like to think either a 4 cylinder or radial is possible, but realistically I can't see you getting the ok from the boss. Perhaps what OS and Satio did is the best viable option, just bling existing stock... 

As for a fly-in I would go with talking to the Beer & Warbirds organiser which occurred at Buckminster, that way they have the date and bare the risk of rain plus I would have thought with a bit of negotiation a Laser only slot could be found...just not at the same time as the mass foam event! Only downside is the airframe needs to have be used by the military.  Quick pole to see what we all have in the hanger? I appreciate the risk and cost in time of planning a completely separate Laser only event and just think IMO its too big a jump in one go. The alternative is to approach a club and see if they are willing to allow the venue to be used (my two clubs are unlikely as one has noise restriction and the other open to public/full size aircraft at weekends), but I can think of others. PM sent.

I would agree on a Laser enthuiast maybe connected to a club hosting an event, you've plenty of time to find out.

Disagree with a slot at another event, make the day your own. Work ? from the sidelines seems to me there would be others willing to help Jon organise and run things.

Brings other things to mind as well for me, recent comment that there's little beyond the norm in the RCME Magazine or the BMFA mag. Well here's maybe someones chance to make a difference and you'd have plenty time to find out editors requirements re pictures etc.

Weather you can't control, best you can do is have a back up date, if you don't try, you'll never know.

Engine ? Think Jon said limited run of 40, you'd be oversubscribed I would think, first come first served or other means ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thebluemax said:

My only question is what would a person do with it?  If you are going to sit and look at it, it seems like a waste of money.

As long as the punters buy it and don't hassle Jon with daft questions...

Double row radial 2x3?

H twelve!

Flat six?

Think the anodised cover or anodised case plus engraving sounds good. And realistic and easy. Charge an extra tenner for personalising it. 

• Like 1