Laser Engines development.

Jon H

Tempting.   Buckminster is a great asset and if this brings more members out to experience it, that’s a good start.   Plenty of notice for a Friday and one of my club mates is already wagging his Stampe, Spit and Jungmeister tails.   Might have to be a Wot 4 for me, unless spring weather is kind and the P 47 gets airborne in time.

BTC

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The first FT-310 prototype was fired up just now and the performance was slightly above my expectation. I wanted 8000 on an APC 20x8 but the little beasty gave me 8200 peak and 8000/8100 steady. 

No video im afraid as i nearly lost a finger to hypothermia in the propeller slipstream and had to not only cut short my run plan for the 310 but abandon my plans to catch up on engine running until we get a bit more warmth. 

Anyway, things are starting to move. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

The first FT-310 prototype was fired up just now and the performance was slightly above my expectation. I wanted 8000 on an APC 20x8 but the little beasty gave me 8200 peak and 8000/8100 steady. 

No video im afraid as i nearly lost a finger to hypothermia in the propeller slipstream and had to not only cut short my run plan for the 310 but abandon my plans to catch up on engine running until we get a bit more warmth. 

I thought you had a "state of the art" indoor test station with central heating and coffee / tea machine constantly to hand.

:classic_biggrin:

Happy New Year Jon.

2 minutes ago, kevin b said:

I thought you had a "state of the art" indoor test station with central heating and coffee / tea machine constantly to hand.

:classic_biggrin:

I was expecting such a creation when we moved to the new place but when we got here...not so much. 

So I used to run up in the alley behind the factory (nice in the summer as it was shaded, not so fun in the winter) but as neighbours behind complained i did it in the carpark out front instead. When those neighbours complained it was suggested i should take the test stand into the 'field over there' (with pointing) to do it, or came in on a saturday. I declined both options as being in a random field is just insane from a safety point of view, and i am not disrupting my weekend to cover for inadequate infrastructure. So the carpark currently has to suffice and the boss can deal with the complaints. 

Its ridiculous really. we should have proper test room indoors with an extractor and all that. But no that would make us look like professionals and we cant have that. 

Im not bitter or anything. Can you tell? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Happy New Year.   Good to hear things are moving along.  Don't lose them fingers!  Very hard to build and test engines without them.   

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gavin Mack said:

HI Jon

any idea on when the 200i and 160i inline will be available please, also will they be glow or petrol

Glow only and when i build more! I can put your name down for one if you like, call me directly and we can go through the whole thing as there is a bunch to talk about before taking the order. 

As it wasnt as a cold today i was able to catch up some of my engine running. 

As part of this i gave the 310 another outing to check out some changes i made and test another prop. I got 8200 on an APC 20x8 and 6500 on an aerostar 21x10 so that is pretty good. All i have to do now it take it all apart and rebuild it with all the production bits. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

Starter.

Traditionalists don't use them, but prefer to use castor and spent a nice afternoon attempting to start the engine. Benefit is if you don't fly and there is little chance of damaging said model..🙂

PS Personally just in case said 310 did decide to bit the hand that assembled it, probably worth it from a safety aspect😉

• Thanks 1

I mostly use the starter these days for speed, especially in the cold. Also in the cold weather its not uncommon to need a heavy prime when hand starting. if you heavily prime an engine, and it fires backwards blowing the prime out, and then you prime it again, and again it blows the prime out backwards, repeated priming can eventually fill the crankcase with fuel and wash out all the assembly oil. This is not helpful at all so i just buzz it with the electric.  

While i am happy to hand start all engines i dont hand start many of my models at the field as its either not worth it or a faff to get a prime into it. Out of a fleet of 14 models i only hand start 3 of them on a regular basis. I did have to hand start my normally electric only Sea Fury recently when my starter snuffed it. It was fine, no problem but it was more of a faff than sticking the electric on it. 

Oh and Ron, i didnt get to your 200i today but its on the slate for tomorrow if its not raining. Sorry for the delay

Edited by Jon - Laser Engines

From a technical point of view (anatomy), I used to hand start. Blessed with a short wife, she never objected to me removing 6 inches of broom-stick. So cheap starting.

Until I developed engine starters elbow. Doctor prescribed a physiotherapy session, 1600 to 1700, Monday to Friday, for as long as it takes. It took 23 sessions. Hurt. Not again.

Oh and Ron, i didnt get to your 200i today but its on the slate for tomorrow if its not raining. Sorry for the delay

No problem Jon, the Hurri is in the queue but not necessarily at the front of it as I'm spending time playing with my laser cutter!