Future balsa supplies in UK

Hasn't this happened before , some years ago when wind turbines first came about ? A similar thing also happened with carbon fiber when it was first used in aircraft production . There was doom and gloom then with the rumor mill going into overdrive . It will in all probability sort its self out .

The bigger worry I feel is that now that china is the biggest maker of virtually everything and killed off production around the world with their subsidised manufacture and postage they can demand what ever price they want for their products , and they will .

This isn't the first time this has happened! Those of us of "a certain age" will probably remember the last balsa shortage - back in the 70s IIRC!

Back then, it was blamed on a new generation of massive oil tankers which required balsa for "insulation" of the tanks. I've no idea if that was fact or fiction!

I do know that it was followed by a sharp rise in the cost (and drop in the quality!) of balsa!

In the last seven years (since I retired!) I've built a few models from plans, mostly 5-footers and designs from the 60s. I was staggered by the cost of the wood alone! Were it not for the satisfaction factor of flying something I've built myself, I would stick to ARTFs, which are much cheaper than building your own!

If only most of them weren't so fragile and UGLY....!!!

--

Pete

You can always re-engineer the structure and keep the outline.

Lots of old designs seem to rely on taking a small forest and reducing it to the shape of an airplane using razor plane and sanding blocks... Top of the fuselage? Inch thick slab. Bottom? 3/8 slab. Corners? 1/2" triangle. Cowl area? Blocks, great big ones! Now get sanding!

Maybe I need to brush up on my planking skills.

Nigel. You and me both !

Modellers have always been resourceful people and fortunately these days there are alternative types of materials that can supplement balsa.

It amazes me when people complain about how "expensive" things are. Compared with what ? Historically speaking the materials we use in our hobby are really no more expensive in real terms, than they always were. In fact many items are a lot more inexpensive (I hate cheaper). Radio equipment being the best example.

Maybe some people are not happy unless they are complaining (I know a few). Maybe it's because these days they have more time to do so. wink 2

Posted by Nigel R on 22/09/2020 09:57:19:

You can always re-engineer the structure and keep the outline.

Lots of old designs seem to rely on taking a small forest and reducing it to the shape of an airplane using razor plane and sanding blocks... Top of the fuselage? Inch thick slab. Bottom? 3/8 slab. Corners? 1/2" triangle. Cowl area? Blocks, great big ones! Now get sanding!

Maybe I need to brush up on my planking skills.

My recent Spitfire built was built along the same lines. I am sure the designer who shall remain nameless has shares in a balsa company. Of my £100 worth of balsa I reckon about a quarter of it ended up on the floor in shavings.

Posted by Peter Christy on 22/09/2020 07:56:27:

This isn't the first time this has happened! Those of us of "a certain age" will probably remember the last balsa shortage - back in the 70s IIRC!

Back then, it was blamed on a new generation of massive oil tankers which required balsa for "insulation" of the tanks. I've no idea if that was fact or fiction!

I do know that it was followed by a sharp rise in the cost (and drop in the quality!) of balsa!

In the last seven years (since I retired!) I've built a few models from plans, mostly 5-footers and designs from the 60s. I was staggered by the cost of the wood alone! Were it not for the satisfaction factor of flying something I've built myself, I would stick to ARTFs, which are much cheaper than building your own!

If only most of them weren't so fragile and UGLY....!!!

--

Pete

Pete, the tankers to which you refer were probably Liquified Natural Gas Carriers, which needed the insulation around the tanks to stop the gas (methane) from boiling off. They originally got the gas from Louisiana, then later from Algeria. Modern LNG carriers have a capacity up to 9.4 million cubic feet.

Liquified Natural Gas Carrier

I guess the letters LNG on the side were a warning to other ships, 'You really wouldn't want to bump into this one!'

A bit more here: LNG Carrier history and engineering

The difference between balsa and things like copper, lithium, cobalt and the various rare earths metals that China is also gobbling up, is that provided you have the seeds, it should be possible to grow balsa wherever the climatic and soil conditions are not wildly different to those in Ecuador. Papua New Guinea was probably chosen as it is one of the more politically stable countries along the Equator. It would probably grow in Northern Queensland, although the labour costs in planting and harvesting may make this prohibitive.

Posted by Robin Colbourne on 22/09/2020 20:22:11:

It would probably grow in Northern Queensland, although the labour costs in planting and harvesting may make this prohibitive.

IIRC there were some balsa trees growing in the Brisbane botanic garden when we visited it in 1988. thumbs up

Posted by leccyflyer on 24/09/2020 07:34:22:

Good point about the capabilty to grow balsa anywhere with suitable soil and climate. I can confirm that the UK isn't suitable. I've been planting balsa for many years and it doesn't seem to matter how deep I bury the aeroplane,I never seem to get the cuttings to take.

... +1 on trying to create your own balsa farm. yes

You could give it another attempt, but just remove the covering first...

Cheers & stay 'covered'

Chris