Best interference free 2.4 tx under ?350?

Advert

Observation only, Spektrum glitches for some of the c. 70% users at my club. Futaba, c. 15% does not. Couple of Frisky users don’t whinge, but that’s not really surprising. I watched a series of monitoring flights counting the brown-outs/frame losses etc (?) on Spektrum. There might be a sensitivity to antenna placement and orientation.

Futaba rxs seem to be relatively expensive. Probably, you get what you pay for.

BTC

Any modern FHSS based protocol (which is all of em) is extremely resilient to interference than adequate for any LOS flying you can do providing you install and power it properly. Those that use DSSS as well as FHSS (Spek DSMX, Jeti etc) are theoretically even more resilient, but in practise FHSS alone seems to work just fine. If you’re flying very expensive models and/or at long range you may want to consider TXs that feature dual 2.4Ghz aerials and have the option of an alternative RF frequency like 900Mhz.

In short don’t believe the brand bashers who tell you “xyz is rubbish” - 99% of “radio failures” are actually down to poor installation, power failure or dumb thumbs. Read the instructions, install solid power supplies and you won’t have any issues regardless of brand.

Edited By MattyB on 24/09/2020 20:12:54

Ps - A much bigger differentiator than link resiliency is affordable telemetry. Most people who have not used telemetry view it as a “nice to have” or “pointless toy”, but once you’ve used receivers with built in signal strength and power supply voltage readouts you’ll never want to go back. Varios, GPS and wattmeter functions are less critical, but still fun and very useful in more complex models.

Unfortunately many brands sensor prices mean few people buy them and get the benefits. Others like Frsky and Flysky have put telemetry front and centre in their offerings, with receiver prices that mean almost no-one ever buys a non-telemetry RX any more. Personally I could never go back to flying without the reassurance that telemetry brings - it’s saved several of my models in the last 10 years from power supply issues and poor aerial (both my mistakes), paying for itself many times over.

Edited By MattyB on 24/09/2020 20:31:55

Posted by Max Z on 24/09/2020 18:55:05:
Posted by Barrie Lever on 24/09/2020 18:40:52:

Multiplex Royal 16, over your budget but not by a mile, you will not regret it. Never ever had anything other than 100% control on 2.4Ghz

+1 !

I like Mpx (I had an Evo for years and just bought an Antaris e-glider), and their M-Link protocol is a very good one. However I couldn’t recommend Mpx radio gear today - the Profi was a flop and went out of production only a couple of years after debut, and the rest of their TX line is ageing badly. They are such a tiny company with such a small user base globally I’m just not sure they will be making radio gear in 5 years time, such is the disruption in the market (remember the travails of JR and Hitec in recent years).

Edited By MattyB on 24/09/2020 20:30:54

Spot on about telemetry Matty. I was flying my Xtra Wot the other day and was getting regular low RSSI warnings and some low RF warnings too. Transpired that one of the aerials had come off the board but I couldn't see that as the loose end was still inside the case, I only found it when I went to swap out what I thought was a faulty Rx!

Don’t know how to do the vertical line thing either. The clue was in the ?. The person doing the monitoring is/was a Beta tester for one of the manufacturers, I believe. I only repeated what I recalled being told at the time. I can vouch for a number of apparent control losses in a specific part of our airspace and several txs which had to go back after inexplicable control failures.

It probably is down to inadequate installation or numb thumbs. I think I alluded to the former .

Anyway, +1 for Jeti. Seems to be bombproof as well as Bruceproof. All the jet fliers in my club use it.

BTC

I've had a Multiplex Cockpit set up since they first came onto the market - I have never knowingly suffered with interference or signal loss since - okay, the newer Cockpits are relatively expensive, but programming is pretty straightforward. AND an Mpx Cockpit feels absolutely "right" in your hands, something you can't say about some of the modern offerings from the USA/Far East

I doubt if there is a 'best'. All the main manufacturers work well and are relaible. I used a Multiplex 3030 for years on 35Mhz and used Frsky DiY modules as a first foray into 2.4gHz so when I bit the bullet I bought a Taranis and now a Horus, which I love.

It's like cars, they're all pretty reliable which, for me with no interest in family saloons other than as a home appliance, is prime consideration.

I would never criticize anyone's radio choice. I like the fleibility of OpenTX but to many it's too much bother and that's fine.

Geoff

I was asked to test-fly a new Wot 4 XL for a club buddy recently. It was (is) equipped with Multiplex equipment. . A couple of minutes into the flight, the ailerons reversed themselves. crook . . It was certainly a challenge to get it down, but the main thought going through my mind was, "what else will reverse before it lands?"

It was landed with no damage, and we reversed the ailerons back. The only thing we could attribute the problem to was my buddy having a mobile phone in his pocket. . Much head scratching. .....!!

. . . .

Spektrum DSMX has proved to be bomb proof for me for several years.

Posted by Doctor Chinnery on 24/09/2020 23:50:36:

I've had a Multiplex Cockpit set up since they first came onto the market - I have never knowingly suffered with interference or signal loss since - okay, the newer Cockpits are relatively expensive, but programming is pretty straightforward. AND an Mpx Cockpit feels absolutely "right" in your hands, something you can't say about some of the modern offerings from the USA/Far East

Have you held one of the newer versions though? The old one was a bit of an ugly duckling but I agree was very comfortable, particularly if you had small-med hands. The new one though went all boxy similar to the Profi (what a disaster for Mpx that was...) and is markedly less comfortable as a result.

As I said above, reliable kit but for me they are top of the list of manufacturers who may not survive the next 5 years in the radio market given the fierce competition they are experiencing.

Edited By MattyB on 25/09/2020 08:51:50

Posted by Peter Miller on 25/09/2020 08:51:34:

Never had a problem with my Spektrum and mine was one of the first in the country.

None of the other later Spektrums in the club have ever given any trouble.

Never had a problem with my Hitec Aurora 9.

I know that the early Spektrum 8s has a lot of trouble there was one in the club.

Total opposite to my experience. I have has 3 spektrum transmitter fail - all RF Board related & requiring manufacturer repair (DX9's & DX5). Reading online it seems I am not alone with this fault.

The cost of 9 channel spektrum telemetry receivers is also an issue, especially when you factor in having to add extra remote 'satellite' rx's due to the lousty range they have.

All in all, if I was starting out again, I would avoid Spektrum.