What's your favourite fuel proofer

Nigel R

I have just found some Aerokote with a catalist in my cupboard. I assume this is similar to Clearkote and a useful fuel proofer ?---I am not sure when I last used this stuff and have briefly read through health and safety comments on some of the other preparations described on this blog. Anyone used this stuff, I am proposing using it tomorrow on my Flair Cub cowling prior to using Hammerite paint ?. I think I will do the painting operation outside.

I have just noticed a couple of earlier references to Aerokote.

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 11/11/2020 17:01:13

Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 11/11/2020 16:54:07:

I have just noticed a couple of earlier references to Aerokote.

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 11/11/2020 17:01:13

check that you Aerokote will set/harden before applying to your model . Aerockote is different to Clearcote . Clearcote setsd/dries by evaporation of the solvent where as Aerokote uses a catalyst reaction . If Aerokote is old its likely that the catalyst has gone off and it might not set leaving a stick horrible mess to clean off. .

Good luck but buy some Clearcote if you can find any its good stuff .

Now I'm close to 100% electic propulsion fuel proofing isn't an issue for me but when it was I used West epoxy (a hangover from when I did work on wooden sailing dinghies). I never used fuel with more than 10% nitro and mostly straight 0% or petrol but I never had a problem. I would have thought epoxy resin would have been totally fuel proof - isn't that the case?

Geoff

With acid catalysed fuelproofer such as Aerokote or Sadolin PV67, I have noticed the pot life can be extended almost indefinitely by keeping it in a sealed jar. There is a volatile content to these fuelproofers that prevents it curing if it can't dry off.

On a technical note about safety and particularly spraying, it has been stated on this forum that the hardener contains an isocyanate which is most injurious to health if breathed in. I have studied the COSHH documentation about PV67 in particular and while there are dire warnings nowhere does it use the word "isocyanate". Can any one more qualified than me throw any light on this?

Andy.

The Rustins arrived last week and I have added several coats to my tank/firewall. It has set very hard and glossy. The smell certainly reminded me of the old two pack proofers I used many moons ago before finding the now defunct Clearcoat. I have not tested with hot glow exhaust as yet.

A quick search shows a few retailers with odd stocks of old cans of Solarlac but most colours are out of stock.

I recently found a jar of the stuff in the shed, the lid was so rusted, I had to cut it off. The paint inside was still good though. I used some to finish off a refurb project. It sets like an enamel paint but smells more like a cellulose type. I suspect it's enamel which is somewhat fuelproof but with a fast evaporating solvent. I am told by a professional modeller that you can thin most enamel paint with cellulose solvent.

Posted by Nigel R on 24/11/2020 11:25:59:

It isn't?

Who is making it?

Solarfilm! Straight from the 'horses' mouth'

'we do have stocks of Clearcoat and Solarlac but can’t be shipped as they are not accepted by Royal Mail or the Couriers as they are flammable'

So if you can get to Coppull you can get some - shame I'm based in South Norfolk!

Edited By Ron Gray on 24/11/2020 13:02:57

I think the excuse of " flammable and couriers wont take is " is just an excuse as they cant be bothered . I have just ordered and received. Some disposable gas canisters , 5 ltr can of cellulose thinners . 1 ltr Two pack paint hardener etc. All flammable and delivered by couriers OK not the Royal Mail but no problem . I was lucky with some Clearcote as a friend bought me a liter of it at old warden last year.

You could perhaps arrange your own collection from Solarfilm via a courier . Wont cost anymore than a normal collection/delivery.

I arranged a collection for a large box of engines last year and no problem

Posted by Engine Doctor on 24/11/2020 14:43:31:

Hi Doc . We only get bits of the story . It was done for some reason , why ? we will never know . Perhaps a bitter man ?

I suspect some sums were done, with a result like "sell everything and close up now, get to retire, keep going, go broke".

Posted by Ron Gray on 24/11/2020 15:50:21:
Posted by Nigel R on 24/11/2020 13:12:43:

They're not making it though, that's old stock, and as you say you have to collect...

To be honest I don’t mind, I did ask Andrew if he would sell the ‘recipe’ but he said it would be cheaper to buy his stock of it!

That is frankly ridiculous.

On another note; the Rustins two pack seems to pose no problem when ironing on film. It appeared to soften very slightly under heat whilst doing so.