Covid vaccine good news

Peter Jones 21

*Posting moved from Laser Engines thread*

I'm not sure I believe the UK vaccination numbers.

I use a a large 'multi GP' surgery with 'lead' vaccination responsibility for a town of 30,000 people in the fairly 'well off' south of England.

The surgery last said their website info on their vaccination programme would be updated on 14th January.

It's now the 27th and no update .

Also I am in priority no 3 out of 10 and have heard nothing at all.

Edited By Martin Harris - Moderator on 27/01/2021 14:23:45

My wife was vaccinated on Saturday at a local centre due to being in the vulnerable category. The efficiency and throughput of patients leaves me in little doubt that the programme is very much on track.

Roger - I think it would be more appropriate to direct your individual concerns to your health authority or local MP.

Edited By Martin Harris - Moderator on 27/01/2021 14:29:15

Roger

I know of folk in the south who are in the 75-80 age range that are getting called up now, just about everyone I know over 80 has been vaccinated, one has even had the second jab, because they were vaccinated very early and went back before the second jab period was shifted from 3 to 12 weeks.

Are you sure you have no upset someone down at the surgery !!

the vaccine has got to be good news, the only hope we have of returning to some sort of normal life....as time is going on,i think most of us know someone who has come to grief with the CV-19.well done to one and all who is helping us all....inc my two daughters who are front line NHS staff.....one of them has had CV.

ken anderson...ne...1 CV dept.

Posted by Peter Jones 21 on 27/01/2021 14:26:08:

Roger

I know of folk in the south who are in the 75-80 age range that are getting called up now, just about everyone I know over 80 has been vaccinated, one has even had the second jab, because they were vaccinated very early and went back before the second jab period was shifted from 3 to 12 weeks.

Are you sure you have no upset someone down at the surgery !!

No. I go there very rarely. Except for a near compulsory (they send you a series of nagging letters if you don't book one) annual check by one of the practice nurses where she also gives you a flu jab,  as I don't want to clutter it up with minor aches and pains.

I've only had one 'major' thing (heart surgery 25 years ago) and nothing whatsoever since. And an unchanging regular prescription ever since that op which is renewed by computer straight to the local pharmacy.

Also see my remark on the promised website update on the 14th which hasn't happened.

I'm 75 and the heart surgery supposedly makes me 'vulnerable' (though I don't think imine actually does as it's been totally problem free).

Edited By Roger Jones 3 on 27/01/2021 14:51:49

Posted by Martin Harris - Moderator on 27/01/2021 14:25:45:

My wife was vaccinated on Saturday at a local centre due to being in the vulnerable category. The efficiency and throughput of patients leaves me in little doubt that the programme is very much on track.

Roger - I think it would be more appropriate to direct your individual concerns to your health authority or local MP.

Edited By Martin Harris - Moderator on 27/01/2021 14:29:15

If I have not heard anything by the end of the first week of February I will go to the surgery and ask. But not yet as I don't want to make a fuss too early. Our MP and his staff only answer paper letters, not emails or phone calls.

I replied to your PM giving the full reasons for my concerns.

We're vaccinating group 4 and even some higher risk group 5 patients. We've just been told we're likely to get a Pfizer drop this weekend so that's my free time up the swanny. Still not much else more important right now....

We're achieving this despite the "computer says no" philosophy of middle management. E.g. the Pfizer vial was supposed to contain 5 doses. In reality it contained 6. NHS England gave the green light to use the sixth dose but our local administrators said they were refusing to let us use those sixth doses (i.e. instructing us to throw away 200 doses [people vaccinated] / £3000 cost) unless we could source the same *brand* hypodermic needle that the DOH supplied with the vaccines. Its a standard 1ml syringe and needle. Same size, same spec. It's sharp and pointy.... But they were knowingly going to throw away such a precious resource unless we could somehow find the same brand (despite the government having bought up the entire stock). Which was basically impossible. And ridiculous. Amazingly we were able to confirm to them that we somehow managed to find them and the clinic went ahead. I'll say no more....

Good for you Ben. I'm sure your patients are grateful for your efforts.

I was impressed by the organisation where my wife and went for our vaccinations (Pfizer). I think 4 local surgeries have joined forces and use a local small hospital in Belper as a centre. Handy for us as we could walk there and back and get some exercise at the same time - about 3 miles each way.

Geoff

Posted by Gary Manuel on 27/01/2021 11:36:25:

The point I'm making is that we are all looking for answers to the REALLY BIG question - does vaccination stop transmission of the virus. i.e. Does it prevent a vaccinated person still act as a carrier of the disease and infecting people who have not been vaccinated? If the answer is Yes, then our troubles are over and I'm hopeful that that is what the blue dots represent in the graph. If the answer is No, then we still have a way to go.

It looks like scientists are starting to provide really REASSURING ANSWERS to the REALLY BIG question.

It looks like the Oxford vaccine can reduce transmission by 2 thirds. yes

Edited By Gary Manuel on 03/02/2021 13:27:36

The last two postings make the point.

Vaccination reduces the probability of infection and should - by encouraging the body to develop early response, reduce severity of any infection in most cases. Care is still going to be sensible, especially for the really vulnerable and we are still learning about vulnerabilities across the broad spectrum of people.

A second vaccination improves the odds and, it is thought, should aid longevity of protection - that is less certain - we haven't been vaccinating enough folk for long enough to have a good handle on that yet.

What the optimum revaccination cycle will be is also unknown yet.

Things are improving; Rome wasn't built in a day ! Politicians and media folk want/would like simple instant answers and simple instant solutions. Science, engineering and the real world don't work that way I'm afraid.

Posted by Gary Manuel on 03/02/2021 13:16:24:
It looks like the Oxford vaccine can reduce transmission by 2 thirds. yes

Edited By Gary Manuel on 03/02/2021 13:27:36

That truly is the best of news.

We're not out the woods.

But the terrain between here and the edge of the trees is now mapped with some confidence.

Roll on summer.

John.

Sorry to hear about you sister. No vaccine is 100% effective but hopefully she will get some benefit from having the jab at Christmas and it will have given her enough immunity to prevent serious illness. I wish your sister well and hope that she makes a full recovery.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 03/02/2021 15:52:16

I was pleased and surprised that at 'only' 63 and fortunate to be fit and in good health, I've been booked for a Covid jab next week. I didn't expect to be called until April according to some estimates, so I'm raring to go. We do seem to be doing quite well in North Essex, both in terms of vaccinations and with access to hospital treatment when you need it urgently. Things do seem to differ around the country though.