Laminating film - buying it and using it.

Advert

An update on the laminating film  . I have left a test piece in the green house for a couple of week now and it has been very hot in there most days. No sign of slacking , wrinkling or loosening. 

Re paint adhesion on the matt covering. The test piece I painted with artist water based acrylic , humbrol and two pack gloss has really good adhesion. A friend painted a model with some emulsion tester pot and while it seems OK if just one colour is applied the paint does lift when using low tack masking.

• Like 3

How strongly does the laminating film shrink?  I am sure this has been covered - sic - in the preceding 8 pages however I am planning to cover a glider wing, it's an OD and quite a strong construction with a D box at the front and cap strips. Now I know I could build a test piece of wing but I don't want to repeat someone else's work needlessly.

Thanks

FB

It shrinks well although not as much or as powerfully as some of the polyester type coverings. Some of the clear types shrink far too powerfully IMO and if not careful giving an airframe a "starved horse look" ,even crushing some framework. It needs a high temp than normal films so a test would be a good idea to get the feel .

Good luck and please give feedback.

Edited by Engine Doctor

• 5 months later...

Phew, this has been a challenging build (a FIllon's Champion), getting there now though. I used some of Ron's laminating film to cover, which was also pretty challenging around the wing fairings, but with a heat gun to shrink it has just about worked out.

I'm not convinced this film is quite thick enough for such a large open structure, but I don't plan to to it again now unless I have to !

Has anyone any experience of painting lam film on an open structure ? I would like to retain some level of translucency to show the framing, and was planning to use spray acrylics, but wonder how well this would work to balance even coverage without going too opaque.

Prob best to build a test piece, but interested if anyone has been there thx

Champion 1.jpg

Champion 2.jpg

I part-painted a Panic bipe with acrylic paint. My film is a semi matt, and I’m told takes paint better than gloss. The result was OK on a hack, but adhesion of the paint was poor, and it could be scraped off. I didn’t prepare the film. If I did it again I would give it a wipe with MEK (butan2one).

applying a translucent paint might be easier than a difficult spray job. Vallejo do a range

• 1 month later...

I would like some advise on the use of Laminating film please.

I should point out that I am a returnee, so am just getting used to using the widely used products like Solarfilm, Oratex and the like( I use brand names to avoid confusion when comparing with (Laminting) film.!. I have used these coverings  a couple of times and the finished surface over open structures seems relatively strong and non-stretchable.

I have been using the laminating film over my current model, ( Large ) , both sheet and open structures. On sheet it seems ok, although I have not applied any colouring paint etc. However when used on open structures the film appears to be damaged easily when handling after application. It dents ,stretches  and perforates easily. The film I am using is that that I got from Ron, (Thanks again Ron)Am I expecting to much?. Are these characteristics coomon or am I doing/not doing something ?. It also seems relatively easy to blow through when using a heat gun on open structures(Max 150c with an iron, cant measure the temp when using a gun!!!!!). Looking for advise and comments as I dont remember seeing any comments like mine on the forum.

Bas

Edited by Basil

Basil. I've been using Ron's laminating film too. Absolutely no problems at all, it went on perfectly in open framework and solid areas. The open framework shows no sign of sagging or fragility. I applied mine with a covering iron and the heat gun is not allowed to go anywhere near it. You cannot control the heat gun temperature and I believe they are cause of most covering problems, stick to the iron for applying and shrinking and it will work fine.