Laminating film - buying it and using it.

Thanks Jeff. I know it’s been around for a while and I got the impression that modellers were put off using it due to the quantities you need to buy. This way nobody gets ripped off for getting it in quantities more suited to us!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham R said:

I will be interested to see what paint type is being  applied to it and it's adhesion/durability.

I’ve tried different makes of paint but all have been acrylics, both water and solvent based and all have gone on really well and have provide a durable finish, as my LA-7 can testify! I haven’t tried automotive 2 pack type paints but am planning on doing a sample at some point.

... today sounded like Xmas with Jingle Bells & Reindeers included...

When I came home from La Grotte, I found a big yellow envelop on my laptop (thanks, Iris)...

My 'lam film' finally arrived... next time, I'll pay a bit more as 'Standard Mail' for an 'International' parcel is about the same as the slow boat from our Shenzhen friends...

Anyway, thanks to Ron for his great involvement and for giving us the opportunity to try out that 'new' kind of covering.

Cheers & 'grand merci'

Chris

I've now received the next roll of lam film and will be cutting it up over the weekend, the orders received for this batch are:

@Paul C. - 20m

@steve 1 - 20m

@alan p - 20m

@PatMc - 10m

@Piers Bowlan - 20m

@Dad_flyer - 10m

@Mike Goulette - 20m

@Jeffrey Cottrell 2 - 10m

@colin wray 2 - 10m

@mightypeesh - 10m

I'll let you know when I've packaged it all up then you can pm me with your addresses and I'll let you know PayPal details.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Here is a short video that I found describing how to use tissue over laminating film.

It really does increase the stiffness of an open structure quite a bit.

It's also handy if trying to re-create a vintage look for old timer models.

Actually, I use thinned nitrate dope instead of the varnish but the principle is the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RMx1obWvc8

Chris

• Like 1