Laminating film - buying it and using it.

Ok. So I rolled all 20 metres onto two cardboard tubes, that took a while, but worth it. I think it will last me for the rest of my life. ?

I made a test piece, covered it in lam film and then red tissue. 

Great stuff it is too.

Good old Ron. Hip hip Hoo RAY.  ?

D.D.

IMG_20210327_133022.thumb.jpg.89b33d18aded1ccd318932e3277a2610.jpg

IMG_20210327_143315.thumb.jpg.e8b6256582ca2fec8e538c8178292155.jpg

IMG_20210327_134359.thumb.jpg.12244d0a7987587de7a97451422ce91d.jpg

IMG_20210327_140202.thumb.jpg.77a72278a42737ed767990d118389903.jpg

IMG_20210327_143256.thumb.jpg.14d6e8e541e018e75c436fb3ac70dc2c.jpg

Edited by Dwain Dibley.
  • Like 2

Has anyone used Solarfilm, Profilm or HK film over the laminating film?

I ask because I'm repairing a pranged Su26, which has a ply internal crutch, holding the battery trap and carbon wing tube with a stringered under fuselage section. I've removed the covering from the under fuselage section which had a combination of what looks like a rubbery Solartex and Solarfilm, with the Solartex applied over the film and was thinking of replacing that with laminating film to provide a bit of additional strength, followed by HK film over that.

I’ve not tried it in anger but have experimented! But I did perforate the lam film first with my ‘pecker’ (steady now) just as I would do when applying film on film and it worked ok. What I haven’t tried is translucent film on top of lam film, I think the perforations would show through as would bubbles!

• Thanks 1

It was pretty wrinkly, but close enough for jazz on the underside of a repaired airframe. The laminating film and the black Hobbyking film went on pretty well, it was the Cub yellow Solarfilm that was horrible and never really tightens up. Luckily there was only one 3" square open structure bit that needed the yellow. the rest of it was on sheeted areas, but it really is soft, malleable and unforgiving compared with the HK film which tightens up nicely with extra heat.

On 19/03/2021 at 17:12, Ron Gray said:

I'm afraid that it's all gone Pat! I there was some more interest from either other forum members or in your club then I could do another order.

I am late to the party on this Ron but if you had enough interest from forum members for another order I would be very keen for 20m of the film too. That is  assuming you were ultraistic/generous enough to take on the hassle once more.

A similar product (possibly the same stuff) was sold here in Australia 20 years ago.

I obtained the information from an aeromodelling friend who used to work for Tony Cincotta at Saturn Hobbies, his after school job was to cut the laminating film up and package it.

My late friend, Brian Winch wrote a few notes about application so I have scanned and included his report in case it may be of use to people who are new to using laminating film.

My only tip is to add holes in wing ribs to allow heated air to escape unless you are making balloons.

Chris

Ozcover.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ron Gray said:

So if @Piers Bowlan still wants 20m all I need is another taker for 20m and I will order another batch, probably 150m this time rather than 300m.

Yes, I am still up for 20m Ron if you can get it, so once you have a price I can send you the dosh via PayPal. I take it it is the matt finish approx. 60cm wide as before?