Wot 4

John  Tee

I must be one of the few modellers who has never flown a Wot4 - until today. A new clubmate was flying his Wot4 and appeared to be having a bit of trouble trimming it for straight and level. At full throttle it took off in about 4 foot maximum but once in the air seemed underpowered. After watching for a while I offered to try and trim it out for him. It had a moderate right turn and wanted to climb. Not being able to trim it out I landed it so we could inspect it to hopefully find out what was wrong.

He has a 3s 2200 battery which looking at the spec is the reccommended battery and an 11*7 prop - 11*8 in spec.

Looking down the fuselage the tailplane was way off square, but was square to the fuselage, but not parallel to the wing. The fus was not twisted so will have to pack up the wing a little. Also the joiner on the elevator had come unglued on one half and the joiner was not straight giving up elevator on the right elevator compared to the left. Is this normal for a Chris Foss kit? as I actually recommended this model to him as I heard they were good for a range of flying skills.

I have to say the model has been damaged in the past but the repair has been done quite well by another modeller.

Is this model underpowered on a 3s?

It is one of the foamy variants but not sure which one.

Any advice appreciated, John

Advert

I fly my foamy WOT4 on a 3s 2200 which suits it really well. It’s now about 5 years old but can be flown in all weather conditions and is great fun in really strong winds (flying backwards). From memory I had very little trimming to do but I have added tail weight to help get it to spin.

So, I would say that the model described in the OP is certainly not normal.

Thanks for your replies.

The model has been owned by the club member from new. Was crashed by another member who was test flying it for him hence the repair. Doesn't look repaired at first glance but not sure of the amount of damage. Didn't think to check the CG today but will get it checked out before he tries again.

John

Going by the description in the OP the model in question sounds like a

image.png.dcd90d5b2b8c2fff453e1ace3dc8cf14.png

which has been crashed and badly repaired.

New out of the box they do fly brilliantly in the hands of an experienced pilot, IMO not suitable for a novice, don't ask how I know. Not long after passing my A I was given a badly repaired WOT4 Foam-E which I no longer have ?

• Haha 2

Sorry EB but I have to disagree. If they are setup correctly (no excessive rates) and the CofG is correct then they are an excellent plane for a novice, albeit a bit on the small size. Change the rates and a more rearward CofG and they can become very interesting!

Edited by Ron Gray

1 hour ago, Ron Gray said:

Sorry EB but I have to disagree. If they are setup correctly (no excessive rates) and the CofG is correct then they are an excellent plane for a novice, albeit a bit on the small size. Change the rates and a more rearward CofG and they can become very interesting!

I was speaking from a novices point of view and I have watched too many inexperienced pilots crashing them. I found at slow speed there is  no problem but get into difficulty and power up to full throttle transformed it from a pussy cat into an untamed tiger with inevitable results. 

Listening to what you say maybe rates and CofG were not correct for me as a novice, maybe other novices have made the same mistake as me. Interesting but I am not about to buy another one to find out as my interests have moved on and I am no longer a novice so it would not be a valid comparison.  With only three years RC flying maybe I am still a novice ? so if I buy one crash it that will prove I am still a novice. No I will not be talked into it I have too many repairs and builds as it is but there again they do fly impressively in the hands of an experienced pilot so if I buy one and fly without any problem then that will prove I am not a novice. Oh dear I am talking myself into another model. ?

• Haha 1

I'd be interested to know how the balance was correct on a 3S. I put a much larger motor in and use a 5S battery to get it balanced, and there is still a heavy lump of iron included in the electric conversion. I would suggest 3S is woefully underpowered. You can always fly at 1/3 throttle, you can't fly at 4/3 throttle, even for a beginner. It behaves just the same at 1/3 throttle and full throttle, except it goes quicker, and beginners do need to learn to use the throttle.

I do use my Wot4 as a trainer sometimes when it is too windy for my normal trainer. With reduced rates it works well for them.

I bought one a few years ago and it was an absolute pig. Every flight was a nightmare, and no matter what I tried it never got any better. In the end I collected a bin bag of bits. A year later I bought an identical one, and it flew beautifully straight out of the box, and still does. I'm still no wiser.

Edited by Andy48

41 minutes ago, Andy48 said:

I'd be interested to know how the balance was correct on a 3S. I put a much larger motor in and use a 5S battery to get it balanced, and there is still a heavy lump of iron included in the electric conversion. I would suggest 3S is woefully underpowered. You can always fly at 1/3 throttle, you can't fly at 4/3 throttle, even for a beginner. It behaves just the same at 1/3 throttle and full throttle, except it goes quicker, and beginners do need to learn to use the throttle.

I do use my Wot4 as a trainer sometimes when it is too windy for my normal trainer. With reduced rates it works well for them.

I bought one a few years ago and it was an absolute pig. Every flight was a nightmare, and no matter what I tried it never got any better. In the end I collected a bin bag of bits. A year later I bought an identical one, and it flew beautifully straight out of the box, and still does. I'm still no wiser.

OP has the foam version Andy, sounds like you've got the balsa.

• Like 2

Sorry I can't help with some of the queries. If Peter and I cross paths at the field this weekend I will enquire as to the particular version. All I know from the other day is - it is a foamy and the battery was inside a hatch on the underside of the nose. Roughly under where an I/C tank would sit.

John

• Thanks 1

On 23/06/2021 at 22:28, John Tee said:

It is one of the foamy variants but not sure which one.

Any advice appreciated, John

The OP specifically mentions the foamy WOT 4.

As far as I know, all versions of the Foam-E WOT 4 are identical. I have owned two Foam-E WOT 4s and both flew superbly. I suspect that the problems which John T is facing with his clubmate`s  WOT 4 are due to the poor quality of the repairs, tail plane out of alignment, elevator halves not lining up etc.

The answer to the question is in the OP. No, it's definitely not normal on a Wot-4 for the tailplane to not be parallel to the wing, or for one elevator half to be up, whilst the other half is down. That is irrespective of whether the model is a foamy or a balsa Wot-4 or what size it is. The Wot-4 is zero-zero rigged and it's flight characteristics are solid and easily variable with changes in the CG. It can be set up as a pussycat or a tiger. Like David said, in this case it looks very like the issues are probably a result of poorly executed repairs.

• Like 1

Mine flew well until repaired and ever since it has been a box of frogs.   I have a strong suspicion that it has acquired a lot of "sticktion" on elevator as well as some structural distortion which I can't be bothered to tackle whilst i have two others to "go to".   Great when new though.

BTC 

The only areas that I think need some consideration are the battery hatch (prone to breaking), top of fin (easily damaged if flipped - I strengthened mine with a BBQ skewer!) and the U/C fixing (very weak - I added a ply mounting plate).

Mine is battered, bruised, cut and dented but still comes out ever now and again for a bit of fun flying.

On 23/06/2021 at 21:28, John Tee said:

Is this model underpowered on a 3s?

The question of it lacking power is what I don't understand because having been taken by surprise when I opened it up to full throttle I checked the motor specification and weight, 140 watts/pound is what I came up with ? no wonder I found it a handful with only six months of rc flying experience using a Riot. Too much power, in my hands, is what lead to it's demise.

On a good 3S battery there was ample power for me.?

There are plenty of much loved examples about, I have a club mate who has built a prosthetic balsa nose, battered and bruised they may be but still fly well.

Talking about fun flying my instructor has one. He told me he was watching a Fun Fly event which was won by a WOT4 Foam-E he was so impressed he bought one straight away. It is still his firm favourite, although it is not the original, too much flying in winds above 20MPH combined with extreme manoeuvres that I can't even spell. ?

Earlybird. I was surprised that it appeared underpowered,  as I said it took off at full power in not more than 4 feet like a rocket, but seemed very soggy in the air when I tried to trim it out.

Peter has emailed me today while I was at Wings and Wheels to say he had done the mod to the elevator and straightened up the wings with the tailplane. It was flown by another clubmate today and he is happy with it now it has been retrimmed.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

John