Spring is here again - who's been flying?

1 hour ago, GrumpyGnome said:

'Drum motor mounts' ?

I think they be the ones like this :

1587480525_Formosamotormissing.thumb.jpg.7e747afd989539e6fcedfd4b37f99d2b.jpg

Which, as Simon says, can let go unexpectedly.  Guess what happened here 🙂  I never found the motor but made a greaser dead stick landing.

Just more of the same really. 

The weather has been dreadful and the field has been waterlogged for weeks but it is gradually improving. 

We have to make the most of any opportunities as and when the weather allows. 

Looking forward to the ground getting firmer underfoot. 

858764749_2024-03-2209_44_25.thumb.jpg.5c0e672b85b2fbed130a6833ec7cbe3a.jpg

• Like 3

Simon, I am even less enthusiastic than you, when relying on a grub screw as a bite/friction method of securing, particularly something such as a motor.

A couple of 12mm bolts is the thing, or is that overengineering?🙄

Erfolg

That type of mount is only used on small motors. The one I pictured is the largest at 45g.

They do work reliably. I used two in my Bombardier Q400 turning 9x6 3 blade.

Q400Complete.JPG.952ec2c375dd444894c9f40b12350d22.JPG

61" span, 72" long it still exists and the motors haven't fallen out after 10 years.

MotorMnt1.JPG.17a6f391cf59fe00770b2ac733d2c6dc.JPG

Note I did arrange the grub screws to be positioned at each side so if necessary they can with a bit of "fishing" be tightened through a small hole in the nacelle.   

1 hour ago, Simon Chaddock said:

Erfolg

That type of mount is only used on small motors. The one I pictured is the largest at 45g.

They do work reliably. I used two in my Bombardier Q400 turning 9x6 3 blade.

Q400Complete.JPG.952ec2c375dd444894c9f40b12350d22.JPG

61" span, 72" long it still exists and the motors haven't fallen out after 10 years.

MotorMnt1.JPG.17a6f391cf59fe00770b2ac733d2c6dc.JPG

Note I did arrange the grub screws to be positioned at each side so if necessary they can with a bit of "fishing" be tightened through a small hole in the nacelle.   

The one in the Formosa which I was gifted by one of the club's best builders.  I got it with motor attached and never took the cowl off to check because it just worked (and Jim isn't a dummy as either builder or flyer) until it exited through the cowl.  Sadlly, cowls are not available as spares, so I fly it cowlless with a different motor.  My dad taught me that grub screws in this sort of application should be at right angles to each other rather than 180 deg for the reason Simon made.

5 hours ago, Brian Cooper said:

It certainly is. 

It is many years old but still flies perfectly. 

I remember Brian many years ago when the Kyosho 90 Spitfire was released for sale, I always regret not buying one.  I was very friendly at that time with an English man who was working and living in Dubai.  He was also a member of the local rc model flying club and his favourite plane to fly with a 91 fourstroke engine was this very Spitfire.   

• Like 1

Lovely day at WHMFC.....  strikes me we are a tad untidy!

20240326_121233.thumb.jpg.80b45a21d34c7ca107e5d51803c5b202.jpg

I flew my Blade and little K110 hslis - usually they only fly indoors. Had great fun doing fast(ish) figures of 8 and circuits with the K110, and slow circuits with the Blade. Had some nice flights with the Spacewalker, Double Trouble Hawk, baby FW190...

Kev wrung out his big blue aerobat, and did some beautiful slow passes with his old T-Bolt, sun glinting off the silver covering, and Laser pop-popping away...

Great day.

• Like 3

Despite a strong wind I  re maidened my Warbirds Replicas Hurricane today, fitted with a Racestar 4250 800kv on 4s. I over propped it with a 14x8 which lifted it off in about 8ft Despite the long grass. I had a great flight but after 5mins. the battery was down to 15% so I called it a day.

20240329_114538.jpg

20240329_114549.jpg

• Like 7

Simon, even at the small size motors shown, which used to be almost given away, the method commonly used was often not as secure in the long term, as desirable.  From memory the motors shown used two screws, biting into the mount to keep secure. I have known them to slacken of, not an ideal, engineered method. Although a simple method.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric Robson said:

Despite a strong wind I  re maidened my Warbirds Replicas Hurricane today, fitted with a Racestar 4250 800kv on 4s. I over propped it with a 14x8 which lifted it off in about 8ft Despite the long grass. I had a great flight but after 5mins. the battery was down to 15% so I called it a day.

20240329_114538.jpg

20240329_114549.jpg

Looks lovely, Eric.  I feel guilty that my own Hurricane kit still lie untouched in the loft. (I saw it yesterday while looking for some PC components).  What motor/battery combination is installed in yours?  I admit, one of the drawbacks for me is the need to fit retracts in a foam wing, but the recent builds of the WR FW190 using launch dollies has given me cause to wonder.  Too many builds and time is running out (57th wedding anniversary today!) 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geoff S said:

Looks lovely, Eric.  I feel guilty that my own Hurricane kit still lie untouched in the loft. (I saw it yesterday while looking for some PC components).  What motor/battery combination is installed in yours?  I admit, one of the drawbacks for me is the need to fit retracts in a foam wing, but the recent builds of the WR FW190 using launch dollies has given me cause to wonder.  Too many builds and time is running out (57th wedding anniversary today!) 🙂

Thanks Geoff and congratulations, mine has as stated on the post a Racestar 4250 800kv motor and a 4s 3600 battery, the prop is a 14x8 but it pulled too much out of the battery. I am fitting a 12 x8 for tomorrow  to see if I can extend the flight time. There should be no problem flying from a dolly but you would have to modify the dolly like mine and Ron's or leave the radiator off. I belly landed mine today as the strip has not been cut yet due to the  entrance being bogged down. The rest of the field is nice and short Thanks to the sheep but very uneven. 

There is a difference between  mine and the original due to a dead battery when it was powered by a a Saito 82 fs the plane was badly damaged and the wing was a right off, I made a new built up wing using the old wing section. The centre section is sheeted with 1/16" balsa and the outer sections are sheeted with 3mm depron, the original wing tip blocks and ailerons were used. The fuselage was rebuilt using the ply crutch the sides and underside were made from 6mm depron with balsa stringers, the rear stringered fuselage was covered with an iron on light tex and the rest of the model covered with brown paper. The underside is painted with Guild duck egg blue and the top camouflage is Valspar from B and Q colour match. Ready to fly weight 6.5lb

Personally I would use a dolly and keep the belly intake on as it's such an iconic part of the Hurri. I would then reinforce it so that belly landings can use it as a skid! Funnily enough, my 82" Laser 200 inline powered Hurricane has had to do a couple of belly landings due to landing gear failures but the (reinforced) rad intake has stood up to them without issue!

23 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

Personally I would use a dolly and keep the belly intake on as it's such an iconic part of the Hurri. I would then reinforce it so that belly landings can use it as a skid! Funnily enough, my 82" Laser 200 inline powered Hurricane has had to do a couple of belly landings due to landing gear failures but the (reinforced) rad intake has stood up to them without issue!

I had the radiator on mine Ron, I took off on the wheels and belly landed . What I was saying about the dolly is the Hurricane won't fit on ours without modification.

And yes the radiator is too big a feature to leave off.

Ah, sorry Eric, I misunderstood. For my dolly I made it so that the foam support pads are removable so a new set of larger ones would raise the model up enough to clear the intake. 

In fact I’ve made some other parts for it so that it can be used for ‘bacon slicer’ pushers too! Prototype shown here

IMG_8564.thumb.jpeg.dc9b4acc96d7915fbd67981709e61718.jpeg

Edited by Ron Gray
  • Like 5