Spring is here again - who's been flying?

Unfortunately I forgot to take any pictures however in Wiltshire yesterday we were in t-shirts enjoying warm weather and very light winds. 👍

Spent the day in conjunction with an experienced pilot working on trimming and now have my Boomerang flying straight and level at 50% throttle, very happy.

Edited by PDB
  • Like 1

I've been flying my 14 year old Thunder Tiger Beaver and my 14 year old Cardinal Cessna 177.  Both planes were manufactured by ARC models in Italy and both planes fly well with fourstroke engines.   They are very unique aircraft as they are made entirely from ABS plastic which makes them slightly heavier than balsa planes but this allows them to fly comfortably on a windy day.   

20230428_185247.jpg

20230414_092701.jpg

Edited by aidan mcatamney
  • Like 1

Wild and windy afternoon on the slope today. Forecast was for 14-17mph, which would have been perfect, but that turned into 35mph (well 34.7mph according to my anemometer) -making it the highest windspeed that I've flown in. That easterly was coming straight off the North Sea, so was freezing - blue fingers even with insulated gloves.

I'd fettled my Zagi for the occasion, but it was a real challenge to launch, even launching directly downhill and inevitably, after a few goes and being swept back onto the hill,  it caught an elevon and stripped the servo gear, so was grounded. Luckily I've learned to always take a backup and I was able to get some good flights in with the DAW EPP Messerschmitt Bf109. Definitely a day for bounceable models and great fun. Way too windy for the wee Limit EX in my rucksack. Came away cold, but happy and the heating in the car defrosted us by the time we got home.

• Like 4

I thought it was now Summer what the heck, probably as near as Summer it now gets.

In my case still bedevilled by road works, the 12 weeks road works, now has overrun by about 4 weeks and is still going, the New moss road ( appox. 1 mile) appears to be about a good 6 months behind, after about 3 years. At least there is one country lane available. But will I moan, do I moan?

Having finally arrived at the field, I am yet again a Billy- Nomates. Most times recently this has been the case, the sun shining, the wind but a Zephyr. I am still regaining skill and confidence, post Cataract operation, now 6 months back. I had resolved not to fly by myself again, until feeling totally confident again, in sufficient  level of incompetence. However the few flights undertaken had been sufficient to convince me that if in difficulties I could arrive in the field or adjacent to it, safely. I also suspect that Covid and age has reaped a harvest of many modellers.

How did i do, my models were up to the task, dealing with cross winds well, in our case it is a landing thing, due to turbulence from some trees. The field itself, it must be one of the best in the UK, due to the surroundings, the field and its maintenance. A real credit to the committee.

After my flights, I walked the field, noting a Skylark, soaring above a near by field. I wonder what was troubling it? I watched entranced 4 or maybe more Martins of some type, again way up. I thought why not low down across the field, as Horseflies are an issue at present. I should mention I inadvertently disturbed a Mallard, into the air, from the crops in the bounding field. I think, I spotted fleetingly the ears of a Hare, in another field. As I made my way up the track (in my car) up to the lane, a Buzzard descended  almost to the side of the car, causing in the region of 40 or so pigeons to panic out of the crops, fling low in panic. Do Buzzards bother with Pigeons?

When there has been other club members presents, a jet was flown with both authority and confidence, in addition to a giant Extra? containing a motor bigger than my motor bike of youth. All totally awe inspiring, as I wonder at the amount of money invested, as is claimed. Other modellers also are seen to enjoy flying their assembled creations. All are a testament to the skills of young women and men in the Far East. I slink away always acknowledging my totally lacking building skills.

It is now time to re-join the viewing of the Coronation. I am really looking foreward to the afternoon celebrations, a celabratory take away, in the evening. God save the King (when is the next celebration?).

Tomorrow is supposed to be a good fling day

• Like 1

Cold, but relatively calm, giving very misty condition at the field. Tested the ceiling to about 100ft initially but improving somewhat later. Only flew models fairly close to the ground, with such restricted visibility, but managed a fair number of flights with no mishaps. Motor problems -  one motor wire connector undone - grounded my Wot 4 Foam-E. I could have fixed it at the field easily enough, as I could see the connector, but it was cold and didn't want to go messing about with cold fingers. All fixed now, Decent turn out at the field, with half a dozen folks flying. Nice way to spend the afternoon.

• Like 1

Tee shirt weather in central France. I flew my Big Guff and my Baron, practising for La Coupe Des Barons on 10th June. Here, Frans, who will be my ground crew on the day, places the Big Guff onto my Best Mate stand. In flight the Big Guff was described as "chouette" by one of our younger members who flies mostly aerobatic stuff. My dog was not impressed.

6th May 2023 (2).jpg

Edited by David Davis 2
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, aidan mcatamney said:

The Big Guff looks spectacular David and I would imagine its a nice relaxing sedate flying plane.  Its not quite tee shirt weather here yet in N.Ireland,  but I'm hoping that the weather will pick up for the NW200 races which take place next Saturday.   

I'm sure it will fly at walking pace!

It is powered by a Laser 62 but I'm pretty sure an OS 48 Surpass would fly it well enough. I got a short-kit from LDS in the States https://store.laser-design-services.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19&products_id=400&zenid=b9bef8b3b8dd0bcd8537965d5e6909b1 but if you buy one watch the plan for faults. On mine, the plan view was distorted and I resorted to drawing parallel lines on the other side of the plan to get my fuselage all square!

The Big Guff was one of three models on my bucket list. The other two were Brian Sichi's Guidato and David Hurrell's Fokker Triplane. I've built and crashed the Guidato, "I 'ad nuffink guv! on me muvver's life!" Dodgy switch, battery or rx. They're all going to go! It's downstairs in the workshop awaiting further repairs but that's still two down one to go!

The NW 200 eh? Having had a bike licence for nearly sixty years, that'll be spectacular!

Edited by David Davis 2

Just a few flights this morning with the "wee fellers" Volantex Bf109 and Spitfire, before heading off to the DIY superstore for some timber. Perfectly calm conditions, though still 100% overcast. Needing to fit some sheet and long strips of  timber in the car meant the other models needed to be left at home.

Yes David , the NW200 is a spectacular event bringing some of the world's greatest road racers to the North Coast.   It runs all of this week with the main race day on Saturday.   The bikes taking place are superb.   I've never had a Laser engine, but I'm sure that 62 on board Big Guff sounds great.   A man in our club uses nothing else only Laser engines on his planes.  He loves them.  

Went up to the field this morning for only the second time this year.  I'd just unlocked the gate when I heard an engine note that sounded like aerobatics were boing flown.  The engine note steadied and I was treated to a fly-past of a Spitfire at about 500' - certainly not very high.  No-one knew where it might have been displaying but the consensus was that it was probably at the other Ashbourne airfield about 6/7 miles south of us. There were also a couple of Tiger Moths flying in formation and separately - one of them even looped.  Nice start to my exit from hibernation.

It was beautiful weather and, for once, I was over rather than under-dressed for the conditions (I never go flying without an extra jacket in the car).  If the weather's like this at Old Warden next weekend it'll be great 🤞

8 minutes ago, Geoff S said:

Went up to the field this morning for only the second time this year.  I'd just unlocked the gate when I heard an engine note that sounded like aerobatics were boing flown.  The engine note steadied and I was treated to a fly-past of a Spitfire at about 500' - certainly not very high.  No-one knew where it might have been displaying but the consensus was that it was probably at the other Ashbourne airfield about 6/7 miles south of us. There were also a couple of Tiger Moths flying in formation and separately - one of them even looped.  Nice start to my exit from hibernation.

It was beautiful weather and, for once, I was over rather than under-dressed for the conditions (I never go flying without an extra jacket in the car).  If the weather's like this at Old Warden next weekend it'll be great 🤞

That was a great experience seeing a Spitfire and Tiger Moths.  

Much better weather than yesterday up at the flying field and as the models had been checked over and a thumb dialing flight with the GTC it was time to maiden the Habu. Now E-flight say its 4S to 6S however with our length of grass it was never going to leave the ground on 4S  A bit of hunting around and 45 minutes later bringing the 6S lipo out of hibernation the maiden was on. Much better progress down the runway and a nice gentle climb out, plus a bit of trimming and it flies really well.

The T33 was hand launched and flew well, I think it may benefit from moving the c of g back towards the manufactures recommended position, A fellow club member has one  and ended up with his  C of G 30mm forward (where I maiden mine). I had an unsuccessful left hand lob  so I need to work on that or fit a gyro for launching, but it does fly well.

image.thumb.png.d5c37e6964ee8861a349a1d0db20ae8b.png

9 hours ago, Geoff S said:

Duxford, I presume?  Well I didn't get a Lancaster but I did get a Spitfire (and a couple of Tiger Moths)  🙂

Old warden. No Spitfire for us though as the ground was too wet for it and the Hurricane to fly 😞