Spring is here again - who's been flying?

Maidened my new xfly F22 Raptor EDF today. Two words: Gutless & Disappointing.  Not me, the model 🤣

It's nearly 100g heavier than my Strange Quark prototype, has less grunt and speed and only flys for 4 mins versus 4.5 mins on the same 4S 2200 (leaving around 25%). 

To be fair, I did have the u/c fitted. It is awkward to hold for a hand launch.

20240330_141025.thumb.jpg.fdc377770461181227732a1fe6d08dd1.jpg

Edited by Futura57
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Lovely day on NE coast. Sunny, warm, bit more than gentle breeze.

Following my TX16 challenges, I put 3 models onto my emergency tranny..... several others in the club have FlySky stuff and get on with it fine. Everything felt 'jerky' for me when flying. Had a couple of flights with the Hawk and Double Trouble but they were distinctively uncomfortable. Having checked the range on my old Taranis with a few FlySky, FrSky and Spekkie rxs, I decided to ditch the FlySky stuff and put an FrSky rx in the Hawk, and use the Taranis. 5 mins later, the Hawk was back to where I like it! Didn't do the others 'cos the rxs aren't as accessible (subsequently added to the Taranis at home).

KM flew his big beautiful Pilot aerobat with his usual gusto, once he persuaded the engine to play ball.

IP couldn't fly due to a firmware version conflict between his tx and rx. We too pity and let him fly the clubp Apprentice. With suitable joshing of course.

IH was trying out his new contact lenses. Had a couple of flights but decided he needs to go back to the opticians.

DS had a decidedly 'roller-coaster-like' flight with his big Ultrastick. On landing, he found that his elevator trim was only working on one of his two elevator servos. 30 minutes later he had it sorted - as well as a similar issue on ailerons, which he hadn't used the trims on.  I bit my tongue and didn't mention how easy that would be with EdgeTX 🙂 

Looks like being nice tomorrow too. Hopefully a less eventful day!

IMG-20240330-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20240330-WA0005.jpg

Edited by GrumpyGnome
  • Like 4

Carefully Ron. Ho ho. It wont hold it straight and level course when gyro turned off so i dont get the chance to anythung carefully as it twists and turns to the ground..Great reply though.....lol

I flew my little TopRC  FW190 on my backup Taranis today - A,E,T,R on channels 1-4, Gyro on Ch5 with a 3 position switch, Ch 6 assigned to a momentary switch for gyro calibration.  I have ailerons and elevator at 50% rate when in 'expert' mode.  The Ch5 3 position switch also drives separate flight modes so I can have trims assigned to each mode. 

Was flying it this morning in about 12-15 mph winds - was much more controllable than it previously has been in 'expert' mode..  Not sure if that's because I've actually assigned Ch6, or just because it was on my Taranis with an IRX4+ and not my Radiomaster with internal MPM.

Anyway, I was launching and landing in 'intermediate' mode, flying around in 'expert' mode.  Really pleased.

Also did some more zipping around with my little Arrows Hawk.  I used to prefer this on 1500 3S but recently have been using 2200 3S and am now actually preferring the higher loading.  Looking at the pics above, it badly needs a good clean! 

Had a couple of flights with my Double Trouble but it was a real handful - I think in adding it to the Taranis, I've messed up the rates etc......

Also tried to get rid of the 'flat spot' in my Saito 82.  Stopped fiddling when I saw loads of bubble in the fuel feed - will need to sort this out before any more fiddling.

In summary, a nice morning but colder, windier than yesterday.

• Like 1

Lovely Spring morning here and a good turn out at the very soggy field. No photos this week, but enjoyed successful maiden flights on my VMC Hurricane, after the extensive wing repairs and my new Volantex Corsair. The latter exhibited some remarkable wing rocking coming out of turns, which must be somthing to do with the gyro stabilisation but other than that was very enjoyable to fly. Also flew a couple of depron profile jobs and my venerable Durafly P-51D Candyman/ Moose. What we need now is a few weeks of dry weather to dry out the car parking area.

• Like 1

I have managed to get some outdoor flying in.

And I decided to fly an old Favorite of mine and get in so IC action in as I have not been doing so much IC as of late.

So here is my Guppy.

Only managed two flight due to my throttle servo dying on me.

Good two flight though, need to get a new servo in there and get out with it again.

Steve. (Happy Bunny) 😉

• Like 3

14 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

I flew my little TopRC  FW190 on my backup Taranis today - A,E,T,R on channels 1-4, Gyro on Ch5 with a 3 position switch, Ch 6 assigned to a momentary switch for gyro calibration.  I have ailerons and elevator at 50% rate when in 'expert' mode.  The Ch5 3 position switch also drives separate flight modes so I can have trims assigned to each mode. 

Was flying it this morning in about 12-15 mph winds - was much more controllable than it previously has been in 'expert' mode..  Not sure if that's because I've actually assigned Ch6, or just because it was on my Taranis with an IRX4+ and not my Radiomaster with internal MPM.

Anyway, I was launching and landing in 'intermediate' mode, flying around in 'expert' mode.  Really pleased.

Also did some more zipping around with my little Arrows Hawk.  I used to prefer this on 1500 3S but recently have been using 2200 3S and am now actually preferring the higher loading.  Looking at the pics above, it badly needs a good clean! 

Had a couple of flights with my Double Trouble but it was a real handful - I think in adding it to the Taranis, I've messed up the rates etc......

Also tried to get rid of the 'flat spot' in my Saito 82.  Stopped fiddling when I saw loads of bubble in the fuel feed - will need to sort this out before any more fiddling.

In summary, a nice morning but colder, windier than yesterday.

Interesting. Does the low voltage telemetry still work when the model is assigned to the Taranis or Radiomaster transmitter?

Can't detect any telemetry, and the TopRC blurb doesn't seem to mention low voltage.................. although I only searched t'internet for a short while. 

I go the old fashioned route and set the timer for 8 minutes - plenty for me.  The battery then goes in the 'used' bag - If there's still some charge left in it, I'm not too bothered. I have a dozen from various small models that I use - same ones go in my indoor heli.

I don't need the 'one button aeros' as I have sticks for that, and I'm not sure I'd be able to make 'U-Turn' work either.

But it is a remarkable little model.

An amazing day at the field, black and murky all around and yet fine and windless on top of the hill. 5 hours flying with 3 models and 18 batteries. Warbirds Replicas FW190 and Hurricane and a Brian Taylor Corsair. Now to charge all the batteries. 

• Like 1

Didn't have any photos on Sunday, but my pal Steve did take some whilst I was flying, which I received last night, so here's a couple, featuring the remaiden of my wee 18" span VMC Hurricane and Durafly P-51.

504935877_hurricaneheadon.thumb.jpg.cc03fee63ca97d96cfcb035e77a70dfa.jpg

43864598_candymanandFTSpitfire.thumb.jpg.4783a783281cd5679b226f82490fef8d.jpg

678796287_candymanandF-82.jpg.209399fc5a2c8f5496f1f52c93b1b470.jpg

I particularly like the one of my P-51D Candyman, with John's homebrewed F-82 Twin Mustang in the background. The post processing is very evocative of contemporary grainy colour slide film from the 1940's, so looks like some of the rare colour footage of the time that I have in print.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

Didn't have any photos on Sunday, but my pal Steve did take some whilst I was flying, which I received last night, so here's a couple, featuring the remaiden of my wee 18" span VMC Hurricane and Durafly P-51.

504935877_hurricaneheadon.thumb.jpg.cc03fee63ca97d96cfcb035e77a70dfa.jpg

43864598_candymanandFTSpitfire.thumb.jpg.4783a783281cd5679b226f82490fef8d.jpg

678796287_candymanandF-82.jpg.209399fc5a2c8f5496f1f52c93b1b470.jpg

I particularly like the one of my P-51D Candyman, with John's homebrewed F-82 Twin Mustang in the background. The post processing is very evocative of contemporary grainy colour slide film from the 1940's, so looks like some of the rare colour footage of the time that I have in print.

So that's where the blue sky went too