Spring is here again - who's been flying?

Got a few hours in this morning, but with a moderate north wind directly across the strip it was freezing, a coat and two fleeces, wool hat and fingerless gloves. A rare outing for my Hobbyking Su35 prop jet which isn't really my sort of thing at all and sounds horrible. Best fun was the wee FW190 and Spitfire, plus my Fatty Me109, plus another flight on my original Parkzone Spitfire. No piccies due to not being the nicest, rather overcast sky.

• Like 3

Advert

I took myself to windy Epsom Downs today and met up with four more desparados. I forgot to take pictures, but one member took a video of my recently acquired Bipablast biplane, Moki 135 powered. I decided to maiden it in the gusty conditions. A bit hairy because it needed much down trim and a fair bit of right aileron. Here are a couple of frames...

VideoCapture_20240430-192528.jpg.120ce4f26a58a3f6cf05866fc48de2ba.jpg

VideoCapture_20240430-192914.jpg.d7c99786d716a9f34c8ad7ab2007ddc3.jpg

VideoCapture_20240430-193025.jpg.5ed7740ff4762356d5f5ab4e507c2380.jpg

VideoCapture_20240430-192949.jpg

Edited by Futura57
  • Like 4

Weather forecast was 27mph gusts, and >50% chance of rain..... it was about 10mph, dry but overcast.

Quick zap of batteries - loads of time as the dogs get me up by 6:00.

At the field by 10 for a glorious   4 hours. 

Fine tuning the Wotty, incl Evo needles now it's run in and needs less oil; whooshing around with the Hawk; aerobatting with the mystery aerobat - until a wheel fell off; gave the Sea Fury a trip out for the first time since I acquired it in October last year.....

Accompanied by lots of twittering Skylarks and the occasional Swallow. Bliss.

20240501_130448.thumb.jpg.992fee1af2030ec3df342937cae62e75.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Yes it is. Flies really nicely.

Previous owner said he flew on 3S - must have been a little uninspiring....

Have only flown mine a few times, but she does fly lovely on 4s1p 3300mah battery - he must have had some massive 3s packs to get the Sea Fury to balance.

seafurymustang.thumb.jpg.98211d1e96c5a741161d181e796c661d.jpg

• Like 6

Same venue as Ron.

Wacky Racer maiden, Richard Willis FW190, Grumpy Tiger Cub and another couple of flights of the OV10 (thanks Ian for the photos), 6 minutes and over 50% left on the 2 x 4S4000 packs. A great day out and looking forward to the club day on Sunday

image.thumb.png.99291d6bc83556af1102b99e608ef501.pngimage.thumb.png.1c31626dc86fd01749878762b07f4b0e.png

• Like 5

A good days flying in zero wind,   warm when the sun broke through but mainly dull and overcast. I bought this Hawker Hunter kit recently which was produced in the 1970s fibre glass fuselage and foam wings, for a 61 two stroke and fixed undercarriage. Thought I would convert it to electric and a dolly take off. 

Turned out it was a dolly take off and landing as the modified dolly stayed attached only a short hop but it looked as though it would fly OK. 

I done a mod and took off again this time the dolly detached from one wing and stayed attached to the other. After hitting the ground and cartwheeling it went back in the car.

Not a lot of damage.

Out with the Warbirds FW190 and Hurricane and some great flying, even landed the Hurricane on its wheels as the grass has had its second cut. 

20240501_093338.jpg

Screenshot_20240331-135101_YouTube.jpg

20240331_115354.jpg

• Like 3

I went flying yesterday (Weds 1st may ) and gave my chilli breeze its maiden flight, it flew  brilliantly, a couple of clicks down elevator and a couple clicks left aileron.

One of the pictures after it safely landed.

Chilli breeze First flight.jpg

Chilli Breeze First Flight 1.jpg

• Like 7

I went flying last Sunday. I took three models with me, both Barons and the club's Boomerang. I didn't arrive at the flying field until 5pm so things were rather rushed.

I had been having problems with the British Baron; the caburettor barrel on the Magnum 52FS insisted on making a break for freedom so rather than fit a carburetter from the spares box I swapped the engine for an OS 52 Surpass. I found that I could not stop the engine. Closer investigation revealed that the part which secures the bottom of the carburettor manifold had snapped off so the carburettor was flapping about in the wind. Fortunately I have a scrap OS52 at home so I was able to use parts from that engine to repair it. A quick session on the test stand, a swift adjust ment of the slow-running jet and all was well. I just have to fit the engine back into the model.

I had a good flight with the Ukrainian Baron but forgot to switch elevator to full rates on landing so the landing was a bit hot. No damage though.

As for the club's trainer, a Seagull Boomerang, last year I bought an OS 46FX at a car boot sale minus the silencer. I had previously been using my beloved Enya 50 in the model but the thought of ham fisted beginners wrecking my Enya while learning to fly led me to fit the OS. I have a box full of two-stroke exhausts so I fitted one. The OS flew it more than adequately.

Although I'm not really an ARTF man I have recently bought a Kyosho Calmato Alpha, new in box. I intend to put the Enya in that. I have a Q Silencer on the Enya and to my ears it sounds fabulous...for a two-stroke that is!

Copious amounts of rain are forecast here right up to Sunday so I'll plenty of time for assembling the ARTF and building some other projects.

Barons and Boomerang April 2024.jpg

Ukrainina Baron April 2024.jpg

• Like 2

Well, Kev decided he'd give flying a go this morning. Despite the voice in my ear saying "too windy", I packed the Wot4 in the car, and set off to join him.

In fact, we had quite a pleasant few hours in the sunshine. It was VERY windy, making landing a bif challenging, but overall, not bad.

Why do Dandelions grow so quickly. We mowed Tuesday afternon and left lovely green runways. By 10:00 this morning, there are enough to make gallons of delicious pop!

20240502_102202.thumb.jpg.78b66daee932c1cd49fd2ae30879e6d7.jpg

• Like 2

Was flying my foamboard ugly stick hack having a great time yesterday. I was doing so well I tried a rolling circle with some limited success. So I tried again, only lower…

The wing was undamaged, so today I’ve hacked out a sort-of Extra style fuse so I can still fly the wing. Waste not, want not!

IMG_5607.thumb.jpeg.f55e167d2cf5d2c616aeeed96c5860c7.jpegIMG_5609.thumb.jpeg.0bf49f77727f867538f0c07fc14f6041.jpegIMG_5611.thumb.jpeg.ec98d19f25aa0e88ebd081df27bb5268.jpeg

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Lipo Man said:

Was flying my foamboard ugly stick hack having a great time yesterday. I was doing so well I tried a rolling circle with some limited success. So I tried again, only lower…

The wing was undamaged, so today I’ve hacked out a sort-of Extra style fuse so I can still fly the wing. Waste not, want not!

IMG_5607.thumb.jpeg.f55e167d2cf5d2c616aeeed96c5860c7.jpegIMG_5609.thumb.jpeg.0bf49f77727f867538f0c07fc14f6041.jpegIMG_5611.thumb.jpeg.ec98d19f25aa0e88ebd081df27bb5268.jpeg

What did you use for the yellow covering?

8 hours ago, David Davis said:

I went flying last Sunday. I took three models with me, both Barons and the club's Boomerang. I didn't arrive at the flying field until 5pm so things were rather rushed.

I had been having problems with the British Baron; the caburettor barrel on the Magnum 52FS insisted on making a break for freedom so rather than fit a carburetter from the spares box I swapped the engine for an OS 52 Surpass. I found that I could not stop the engine. Closer investigation revealed that the part which secures the bottom of the carburettor manifold had snapped off so the carburettor was flapping about in the wind. Fortunately I have a scrap OS52 at home so I was able to use parts from that engine to repair it. A quick session on the test stand, a swift adjust ment of the slow-running jet and all was well. I just have to fit the engine back into the model.

I had a good flight with the Ukrainian Baron but forgot to switch elevator to full rates on landing so the landing was a bit hot. No damage though.

As for the club's trainer, a Seagull Boomerang, last year I bought an OS 46FX at a car boot sale minus the silencer. I had previously been using my beloved Enya 50 in the model but the thought of ham fisted beginners wrecking my Enya while learning to fly led me to fit the OS. I have a box full of two-stroke exhausts so I fitted one. The OS flew it more than adequately.

Although I'm not really an ARTF man I have recently bought a Kyosho Calmato Alpha, new in box. I intend to put the Enya in that. I have a Q Silencer on the Enya and to my ears it sounds fabulous...for a two-stroke that is!

Copious amounts of rain are forecast here right up to Sunday so I'll plenty of time for assembling the ARTF and building some other projects.

Barons and Boomerang April 2024.jpg

Ukrainina Baron April 2024.jpg

You will love the Kyosho Calmato David.  Flys superbly.  I have two of them.  

I flew yesterday afternoon and was a billy no mates despite the weather being very nice.  Today was meant to be wet all day but as the Sun shone all morning and there was no sign on rain on the Rain App, I decided another practice session for the new aerobatic schedule for this year was indicated.  Again, despite the actual weather being dry and sunny, I was a billy no mates again.  I am trying to trim out the coupling in knife edge so that I don't have to touch aileron and elevator to hold the KE position in the top half of a Fig S.  Yesterday's tweaking made a huge difference but today showed that there was still a bit more tweaking required at high rudder deflection.  Roll on the next practice session!

20240502_163411.thumb.jpg.9b8c848d8a0c89b23b3e61613e428192.jpg

• Like 2

I love that there are so many areas of enjoyment..... typically, my aim is to get everything home unbroken!

Well mostly. I sometimes spend a session tweaking stuff to get it just so. Not as precisely as Peter though...

Posted (edited)

A glorious day here on NE Coast - sun's out, warm, white fluffy clouds, gentle breeze.... like Picadilly Circus here already. Two of us.

My squadron, and Kev's brace for re-maiden. Mine are largely electric today... unusual for me20240503_101131.thumb.jpg.5dc520c77db728fa8f2f4f7c40503a3c.jpg.

20240503_095234.thumb.jpg.b72ee34ce2e30eb138f679b6f01c2307.jpg

Edited by GrumpyGnome
  • Like 2