Aliexpress and others

Erfolg

Been using Aliexpress & Banggood for many years, they've been very good and no problems.   Ali is a bit like Amazon, ie a marketing platform for other sellers, cant remember if BG is too.  On the one occasion I had to return a batch of duff NRF24L01+ chips they refunded before I'd even posted the return.   Not noticed them being slow - I've had stuff arrive from China in 4 days though typically it can be a couple of weeks.  I always choose the cheapest delivery option - whats the rush?  🙂

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Green

I too have used them for years, with no issues. Delivery times vary greatly - from a few days to a number of weeks so probably not the best choice if you are in a hurry!

Also, there are often multiple listings for the same item with varying shipping charges, so 'shop around'.

• Thanks 1

I suspected it was the limit after which, that duty and other charges were initiated.

What I did not know, and could not establish what the VAT situation is respect to these businesses. 

In my case i normally purchase low value items from outside the UK, it is not the VAT that is the real issue. it is the Handling/Processing charges that are in proportion a killer.

Believing that the vat is taken care of is useful to know.

Edited by Erfolg

On 21/07/2022 at 15:33, GrumpyGnome said:

IIRC the prices we see on Ali or BG exclude VAT so prices increase at checkout....

Not so.... both companies display the VaT inclusive prices on the search and item pages and have done so for quite some time now. AFAIK the only time the price increases at the checkout is when Banggood try to add 'delivery insurance' to the total

ali.jpg

bg.jpg

What matters to me is that the Vat is included. I can generally with with 20% Vat (would prefer a lower amount).

What I find difficult to ungrudgingly accepting is a 100% price increase, because purchase price + postage, then vat on this total + handling charge has been added. Then all of the hassle in paying and collecting the item or paying the carrier.

I’ve been following with some difficulty. Is not the reason we shop outside our customs area because;

A. not available in customs area

B. cheaper.

If A, a necessity.

If B, complexity and interesting times are coming. That is one valid reason why retailers within your customs area tend to be a bit dearer. They get the complexity, you get service. 

Don

For many (including myself) it is a combination, of issues.

The nearest MS to me I can visit is approx. +60 miles away. There is one probably 30 miles away, now mail order only (believed to be winding down).

I have used in the past HK, as I note, many others did, because they were both cheaper and I knew they had what I actually wanted.  Often faster than visiting a model shop. The cost aspect is interesting in all the small consumables tended to be a lot, lot cheaper, good quality and available in large numbers. For film HK won hands down, as they did for Lipos.

Mail order becomes much cheaper when travel cost and item uncertainty is taken into account. It is more often than not faster and I do not have to take out at least half a day from doing other things.

In the present and probably future eras, mail order is almost certainly going to become the norm. The only fly in the ointment is at present the PO is not taking up the challenge that other carriers are providing. In the area where they have a monopoly (letters), the high prices, poor service, is seeing this service being decimated as less letters are sent.

Personally I have no problems with competition, many modelers in the past loved between other modelers. I see it as natural between businesses as well.

Edited by Erfolg

6 hours ago, Erfolg said:

What matters to me is that the Vat is included. I can generally with with 20% Vat (would prefer a lower amount).

What I find difficult to ungrudgingly accepting is a 100% price increase, because purchase price + postage, then vat on this total + handling charge has been added. Then all of the hassle in paying and collecting the item or paying the carrier.

Erf, this is your post. Why inflict that uncertainty on yourself. Unless it’s not available in your free trade/customs zone. Do mail order if it suits. Back in the day I knew shipping agents. One I knew rented an 8 by 6 office above a Chinese takeaway, and a garage. The takeaway was 25 meters from the dock gates. The garage housed a new top of shop Mercedes, same model as used by the chancellor of West Germany. Rewards of knowing how to avoid interesting times.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Don Fry said:

Erf, this is your post. Why inflict that uncertainty on yourself. Unless it’s not available in your free trade/customs zone. Do mail order if it suits. Back in the day I knew shipping agents. One I knew rented an 8 by 6 office above a Chinese takeaway, and a garage. The takeaway was 25 meters from the dock gates. The garage housed a new top of shop Mercedes, same model as used by the chancellor of West Germany. Rewards of knowing how to avoid interesting times.

These days, if you have a takeaway you have to do deliveries as well, so you need a reliable vehicle.  🙃

Don. my objective is to ensure that I do not pay more than I expected due to my lack of knowledge and potential incompetence.

I never expect to get things for free, nor do I believe in paying more than I need to.

As to the guy with the Mercedes, why not?

I reminded HK yesterday of their 'promises' to sort GB VAT and included this note:

"Hi HK, I and friends have been given various dates by you to sort out payment of UK VAT. All have been missed. I have no objection to paying it but the carrier charges a fee to collect it which makes the parts expensive. This is why companies selling into UK register to pay VAT for their customers direct to the UK government. Please let me know if you ever sort this out and I will start buying again from you (and so will alot of other UK customers ).

Their reply:

"Greetings,
I am sorry to know that. For UK VAT issue, still does not calculate or charge these fees upon purchase and we don’t have control over this. Customers are held responsible for settling these fees with their local customs to ensure successful delivery."

So they have no plans to change their approach. Presumably customers in EU now have the same issue as their system of collecting VAT is similar to UK and changed (IIRC) early July. So HK have shot themselves in the foot. 

I have been lucky recently in that Leeds model shop have stocked parts that I need, and they are very quick with sensible shipping charges. They will get my trade wherever possible. Sadly they are too far away to visit.

John, the opposite side of the coin is  far more people go to Amazon as the first stop, than went to Woolworths in their later years.

I dislike the golden arches, yet they continue to thrive, giving a lot of people what they want. Just shows you. I am wrong, at least on this one

Both (Amazon & McDonalds) are probably representatives of the modern world, providing people with what they preferentially want. The Dolly Blue Works that I passed (twenty years back) weekly, has closed, as their product was no longer relevant or wanted.