Beginner trying to choose a transmitter

DuncanM23

I'm just getting started, so have no plane or radio gear. I want to get a transmitter and fly the simulator while I build foam board planes (and if they don't work buy an ARTF one!). My budget is fairly flexible, and the choice is utterly bewildering. From FlySky at super cheap, RadioMaster TX12 and various FrSky around £100 or Spektrum/Futaba and the fancy RadioMaster and FrSky ones around £200. Mix in all the different protocols as well, and working out what to get is really hard. 

I'm sure I've missed some too!

Different people at my new club have different systems, so that's not really something that can swing it. How did you choose your transmitter?

I started not so long ago. My flying buddy/instructor had Multiplex, but also a FlySky. I went for FlySky, partly as I need two of everything with Child_flyer. Also for battery voltage telemetry the receivers are very cheap. I have now upgraded to Radiomaster TX16s, which can use all my FlySky receivers.

The experience with FlySky has been mostly good, although I think one of the transmitters is not quite right. I got them from Amazon, which is not great for knowing the actual source. I have since found that FlyingTech have all the FlySky things in the UK at sensible prices.

The TX16s is very much nicer and still not hugely expensive. I have managed to break switch levers on both FlySky when they fell in the car on different occasions. The TX16s case and zipped cover are very reassuring.

Hi and welcome.

Try and find a local model flying club (BMFA can assist) and go along, just be prepared to ask 6 people and get 8 answers! Seriously any decent club should be able to offer a few intro flights on the club trainer and buddy lead just to see if you like it. If they don't then it could be a long up hill struggle to get decent training. See what the guys at the club fly and consider that as a possibility.

As for sims, you don't need a complex TX as almost anything will do + there are good sims out there that are cheap (Phoenix) because they are no longer made. Sims are great for teaching stick and orientation, but limited when it comes to depth of field (IMO).

Personally I would advise a high wing ARTF trainer (Kingfisher/Riot) for its size, stability and stable flying characteristics. I really like the foamboard stuff and once sorted and trimmed in it can fly well, but if you are learning it could be a short handful!

• Like 2

I've joined my local club (OMFC) and had a go on the trainer glider (that was cool and I could control it for a while before needing assistance) and a member's Riot (different story - I needed much bigger control inputs and much faster processing!). I believe that different people at the club fly Spektrum, Futaba, FrSky, and FlySky, so I don't know if that helps much. I'm inclined to go with FlySky so when I do want to upgrade I know what I value in a TX, but I'm aware I'd be buying cheap and twice.

And yes, a high wing foamie trainer is probably on the cards at some point.

Edited by DuncanM23

+1 for visiting a club.  

Choosing a transmitter is not an easy task. When you do visit a club, you'll find many opinions, some very strong, on what's 'the best' to buy. I think it comes down to:

• Functionality - do you need lots of bells and whistles?
  • Cost - how much can you afford now, and in the future (I think EVERYONE outgrows their initial purchase) 
  • Feel - transmitters can feel very different in many aspects
  • Support - if a clubmate has a similar transmitter (or nowadays one with similar programming), it may help, although YouTube is a great resource
  • Operating system - on some makes, making changes to things like the direction a servo moves is a simple operation; on others, it's more complex.

I's a bit like choosing a car or partner, and everyone believes they have 100% made the correct choice!

My current transmitter is a Radiomaster TX16S, with EdgeTtX; and I have a Taranis X9D as a backup.  To be honest, I bought the TX16 as a backup for the Taranis, but preferred its colour touch screen...... It was relatively cheap, hugely functionally rich (I'll never run out of channels, or be unable to do something I need/want), and allows me to use receives and 'bind and fly' models from other manufacturers. Feels OK in the hand but nowhere near as 'quality' as, say, Futaba. 

Previously, I had Spektrum gear for years, but I needed to do some things my old Txs would not do, and their prices had increased greatly over the years. 

Prior to that, I have used various other makes, all of which served me well.  None have been 'rubbish' - a term often used to describe a make other than that a flier currently uses!

Visit a club, visit a model shop (if you can find one). Feel free to come and ask again 🙂

Re a model, I'd avoid building you own for your first model as it's so easy to build in faults that will make it difficult, or impossible, to fly.  My advice would be to get a ready made, electric powered, high wing foam model..... the club will advise!

Good luck!  Keep checking in on us.......

• Like 1

As a club we usually try to steer the beginner to get a transmitter which is compatible with one of the club owned transmitters and buddy leads, that way we can lend them a buddy transmitter, so when they turn up at the field they bring both transmitters, that way they aren't reliant on a specific club member with a compatible Tx being at the field.

• Like 2

If your club will let you learn using club equipment, I'd hang fire for a while to be honest, whilst you get a better understanding of your requirements. See what your clubmates are flying in terms of models and radio gear, and form an opinion on your present and future requirements.

I suppose I should apologise in advance for what follows and did consider just scrapping it, but decided to post. The reason is there are potential "GOTCHAS" so having the best understanding of requirements you can get is a good idea. If the only requirement is foam board or similar fixed wing, almost anything will do. If you think you may wish to use it for more complex models, including multi rotor, you can choose to get something suitable now, or to upgrade later, however it'll be a conscious choice and not a surprise later.

Answering your "How did you choose yours" question directly:

Set 1. Multiplex Cockpit SX 35 MHz, bought new in early 2000's after a 20 year gap in modelling. Good reputation, and more understated looks than the  competition. It was programmable and has 7 channels and seemingly enough features. That was about it. My previous sets were not programmable, so I didn't really understand what I was about to learn, however I was very pleased with it. I wasn't in a club at the time, so operated as a lone flier.

Set 2. Multiplex Profi 4000, 35 MHz, bought used a couple of years later. I chose that because of it's extremely flexible programming capabilites and I just fancied the the technical challenge of learning it. I was getting into gliders, that sometimes use complicated mixes. I upgraded it to 2.4 GHz using an official multiplex module.

Set 3. FrSky Taranis X9D plus. Bought new in 2015. It offered all of the flexible programming of the profi plus more modern features. Telemetry, voice alerts. It runs OpenTx and has been a brilliant transmitter for me. You do have to roll your sleeves up a bit to programme it as you have to make all of your own mixes, however I find it logical. Others find OpenTx not as intuative as the competition. FrSky are a bit annoying as they've changed the core operating system of their transmitters several times (ACCST, 2 versions, ACCESS, Ethos) , with limited or no backwards compatibility. And from time to time needing to flash updated versions of OpenTx and firmware for the internal Transmitter module and receivers. Not a HUGE overhead, however not plug and play either. Telemetry is dead handy, however for the models I fly, not really essential. Documentation is spread right across the internet and I couldn't say it's coherent. As I said, not really plug and play, but very capable for those willing to invest the time to learn it.

Set 4. Not yet in my hands, however have ordered another Multiplex offering. a 2.4 GHz Cockpit SX 9 channel. Why? I can use my existing Multiplex receivers and it's good kit. And like all Multiplex kit, really good manufacturer's documentation. Downsides. More expensive than FrSky. Not at the forefront of technology, however "just works".

At my club, people use FrSky, Radiomaster, Spektrum, Futaba, Multiplex that I know of.  The guys all seem to fly their models OK so they all "work".

Other considerations.

A new member turned up with a really basic transmitter, not sure of the make. It doesn't have model memories, rates etc. that we've become used to. Avoid that basic level.

Sometimes picking the brand your instructor uses is a good choice as they'll be familiar with setting it up, and it'll plug into theirs with a buddy lead.

Aspirations. If you wish to get into models fitted with flight controllers, be they fixed wing or multi-rotor, then the flight controller needs to be compatible with the receiver output. Sbus, for example.

Here's a link that sheds some light on protocols. https://oscarliang.com/rc-protocols/

You should consider what Mode your chosen club uses and buy a Tx on that Mode.    The reason is that if you learn on the same Mode as the rest of the club then eventually you may get a chance to fly someone elses plane and of course in an emergency anyone else can grab the Tx and take over.

I am a Mode 1 pilot in a Mode 2 club and therefore I know the problems!    ( Mode 1 is throttle right while Mode 2 is throttle left and the difference is much more than it seems because the Mode 1 elevator is therefore on the left which makes flying completely different.  Mode 2 is more common nowadays.   Normally nobody changes Mode - you fly whatever you learnt on .  )

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, kc said:

You should consider what Mode your chosen club uses and buy a Tx on that Mode.    The reason is that if you learn on the same Mode as the rest of the club then eventually you may get a chance to fly someone elses plane and of course in an emergency anyone else can grab the Tx and take over.

I am a Mode 1 pilot in a Mode 2 club and therefore I know the problems!    ( Mode 1 is throttle right while Mode 2 is throttle left and the difference is much more than it seems because the Mode 1 elevator is therefore on the left which makes flying completely different.  Mode 2 is more common nowadays.   Normally nobody changes Mode - you fly whatever you learnt on .  )

Interesting point. Do you know if a buddy lead relies on the two Tx's being same mode please?

I think one can overcome the different Mode by a buddy box, but that's not really my point.   The point is that you don't want to be different to your clubmates.    I got some opportunity to fly other members more advanced models ( briefly) which mad a big difference when i was improving my skills.   The chance to fly an aerobatic model which 'goes where you point it'  was a revelation when i was still only flying  a trainer.   I wouldn't have been given those few minutes chance if I had trained on a different Mode to my friends!   The chance to try another persons model is very valuable at any stage in your flying.

The action of flying using elevator on left thumb is quite different to that of using elevator and aileron on the same thumb ( Mode 2)   Neither is better - just very different.    And changing the Mode of a Tx is possible ( swopping the rachet over ) but  means opening the case and fiddling inside which might affect warranty.   Best to buy the correct Tx.

1 hour ago, Andy48 said:

FrSky transmitters will buddy with almost any transmitter as slave.

And even more importantly can re-assign the channels meaning for example that the instructor could be flying on mode 1 with the pupil flying mode 2, and equally important FrSky on Open TX or Ethos can calibrate to the slave outputs, so for example where a Spectrum is slave and the standard output is in fact 80% of 1000 to 2000 us that can be calibrated out. That's important because the slave in standard form would only be able to get to -80% throttle so would not be able to close the throttle so on handover to the slave the motor would burst into life, Futaba is slightly different again.  

Lots of advice here, but as you may note we all have our preferences. One thing I forgot to mention is that for simulator use then any old Tx with a buddy port would do, I've even used an old (circa 2000) Futaba 35 mhz tx with my sim. So while I wouldn't recommend an old 2nd hand Tx for your main Tx they are fine for use on a simulator.

10 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Re a model, I'd avoid building you own for your first model as it's so easy to build in faults that will make it difficult, or impossible, to fly.  My advice would be to get a ready made, electric powered, high wing foam model..... the club will advise!

I would say if you want to build, then build. But find something easy and quick, and sheeted. I built Mayfly very early on in my flying. Probably not the best way to learn a lot from a good instructor as it is very stable, but still a lot of fun. I found it much easier to put back together than foam models - everything is flat and straight so you know where the pieces go.

the plan is on Outerzone

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6231

Thanks for all the useful info. I will need to re-read many times I think!

I'm definitely not planning on making a foam board aircraft my main/only plane as a beginner, but I thought it might be useful as a <250g machine that I could fly on my own, wouldn't be a problem if I damaged it, and would be a bit more like a real plane than the 60g powered gliders that seem to be the alternative in that space. The foam board plans from Flite Test and similar seem relatively straightforward, both for assembly and repair, and I hope I'll learn something as I go.

However, as soon as I'm a bit more competent on the sim, I'll probably get something like a Riot - it removes an additional variable (because I'll know that the plane is predictable), and I know that there are people at the club with them, so I can get advice.

I believe the club is Mode 2 (certainly the ones I've met are). They have trainer aircraft, and people who can do instructing, but no official instruction program, so it's not as simple as picking the system the instructor uses.

I'm not really interested in heli or multi-rotor flying, but I'm definitely setting the floor at a computerized transmitter that can do multiple models.

Edited by DuncanM23

40 minutes ago, DuncanM23 said:

Under 250g is classed as a toy, so I can fly on my own. Above that, you have to pass a BMFA flying qualification or fly with someone who has.

No, that’s not fully correct. I suggest you read the BMFA pages on how to comply with current UK regs, there are multiple ways to do this and the BMFA online competency test a) is just one of the options, and b) on its own is not enough to make you fully compliant.

https://rcc.bmfa.uk/caa-registration/dmares-quick-start-guide

https://rcc.bmfa.uk

The CAA pages are also well worth reading…

https://www.caa.co.uk/consumers/remotely-piloted-aircraft/

Edited by MattyB

Duncan

I would reconsider your decision regarding the 250g model and learning to fly on your own.

A model of that sort of size is going to be really badly affected by wind (unless heavily gyro assisted - then you won't learn much anyway) and will have to be flown really close by for you to be able to see it properly.

Get something a decent size, it will be more stable, probably fly slower and for longer, you can fly it further which will give you time to sort out errors in the flight line and it will be much easier to orientate on.

Learning on your own is just going to be expensive as you will have to keep replacing machines when they crash which you may find discouraging in the longer term.

Find yourself a good instructor that you get on with and learn with them. They will be able to help you over the hurdles that will come up - orientation, left / right reversal when the plane flies towards you and will guide you through the process.

True you may be advised not to attempt to take off or land as soon as you would wish, but they will have your best interests in mind so you will be progressed as and when they believe you are capable. This will help the life span of your machine.

I am one of my clubs instructors and I currently have 4 people in training with me, all at different levels of experience and all with different issues to resolve - which will happen with encouragement and experience. My aim at the end of each session is for each of them to go home with a sense of having learned / achieved something and without the machine having been damaged.

Best of luck &keep us posted.