God Save the Queen

Paul De Tourtoulon

11 hours ago, Peter Jenkins said:

Each to their own Cuban8.  I served in the military and holding the Queen's Commission was considerably more uplifting than serving a politician.

I am proud to have served in Her Majesties Coastguard [ 28 years] and worn the crown on my uniform. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Ernie said:

With the Royals, we only see the State Pomp and opening of new buildings. All their jewels and palaces ( with a few exceptions) are held on trust for the Nation....it’s not theirs! 

I think it was very kind of that nice little old lady to look after all that stuff on our behalf. I'm sure that she polished it every day.

But now that she doesn't need it, can I have my bit back?   A nice wee Canaletto would do

ernie

So, when did you own the bit you want back Erine?  🤣

I am neither a royalist or republican - it is what it is. I suspect the income they generate in, for examle, tourism makes them a net contributor to the nation. Far more than any of us. And I begrudge their riches far less than vapid celebrities!

I can't imagine how she managed to keep going so long, and with such grace, with all the public scrutiny of her dysfunctional (or is it normal) family....

Let's see how Charles copes.

• Like 3

Not forgetting the point a family has lost a much loved mother, grandmother and great-grandmother.

These  family tragedies ,of anyone else ,usually ask they’re allowed to have a little privacy. 

The Royal Family have every second, filmed, discussed, analysed and spread over every possible media outlet. Very hard to keep it together, I would think.

• Like 2

The BMFA team are at IWM Duxford this weekend promoting model aircraft and drone flying at the Battle of Britain Airshow. For both days now they have done an immaculately observed 2 minutes silence which was only broken after 2 minutes by a stunning solo display by a Spitfire, a very fitting and moving tribute to Her Royal Majesty and an excellent way for all present to thank her for her lifetime of duty and devotion to the nation and Commonwealth. I don't mind admitting to having a tear in my eye on both days.

Rest in Peace your Majesty and thank you.

• Like 12

38 minutes ago, Don Fry said:

Or indeed Prince Andrew? But the other two can be voted out?

But the crown is non-political Don whereas any president most certainly would be.  As politicians almost by default are dishonest and usually have a short-term agenda which centres around remaining in power they would be as utterly useless and undesirable as the current contents of parliament. 

• Like 5

Politics is banned on this forum, I am therefore choosing not to respond with an answer to your point. You make all sorts of assumptions as to the nature of a head of state. Look for instance at that nice little bloke who shakes hand at the start of Ireland rugby internationals, or the pretty lady before him. Not very controversial characters.

1 hour ago, cymaz said:

We’ve left the Elizabethan age and are now in the Carolean age.

Maybe we should adopt "Sweet Caroline" as our new National Anthem.

It might go some way to improving Charles' popularity rating.

I don't have a bad word to say about the Queen by the way. RIP Queen Elizabeth.

I do have my doubts about Charles' ability to fill his Mother's extremely large shoes.

41 minutes ago, Tim Kearsley said:

I deliberately was impartial in my post Don and didn't reveal any political bias - they're all beneath contempt, though some further than others.  I'll stop there and we'll agree to disagree!  One thing I think is obvious though - the UK won't be a republic any time soon. 

Yes, agree to disagree. Re your last sentence, opinion pole trends might just disagree. Please, no dog whistles on polls.