God Save the Queen

Paul De Tourtoulon

We all think we knew her, and in some ways we did. And in those ways that we did see, most of us liked and admired. If you look at the family as a whole they are no different from any others, we all have family drama trauma in our lives, just not open for public scrutiny, though social media does no favours.

She handled it all in public view with stoic aplomb. I have little doubt that the loss of Phillip caused her to call on her inner reserve.

She was my boss for 38yrs. 

I trust her faith is rewarded and their unison continues.

RIP Ma'am.

• Like 2

As a lifelong believer in the notion that we'd be better off as a republic, I find the self serving  circus surrounding the monarchy a huge joke and the bowing and scraping by ordinary people unfathomable.

Sorry she's died as I'd be for anyone and their family members, but I find it irritating that the assumed universal default position is that we should all go to pieces. Did you see that awful picture of a woman kissing the hand of KC3 as though he was the messiah......he's a very naughty boy.......yeah, right.

One of my two clubs has even closed its field for a week as a mark of 'respect'. Something I'd oppose vehemently if I was involved with its running.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

Each to their own Cuban8.  I served in the military and holding the Queen's Commission was considerably more uplifting than serving a politician.  The feeling in the military is that you fight first with and for your mates and then for the Queen/King.  Politicians are here today gone tomorrow, have a time limited view and tend to throw the military into tasks they hsve refused to fund adequately.  

However, I think closing a Club field as a mark of respect is unjustified.  I also think the broadcasters BBC/ITV/Sky have gone over the top with all 3 going wall-to-wall on looking at the Queen's life over and over again.  Whilst it does seem old fashioned to have our Head of State drawn from one family I wonder what it would be like to have a Head of State like Trump?  

We should also consider the respect QE2 had from not just the vast majority of Commonwealth countries but also much of the rest of the world.

Right now, Ithink you are in the minority in the UK as regards republicanism but I accept things could change but by then I'd be dead snd buried!

• Like 5

I think many people see the monarchy as an unacceptable symbol of privilege and class division and  when other countries  can retain their monarchy but without the excessive pomp and outdated ceremony. Perhaps it is the ceremony which attract all the adoration from the others?

Edited by john davidson 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, john davidson 1 said:

I think many people see the monarchy as an unacceptable symbol of privilege and class division and  when other countries  can retain their monarchy but without the excessive pomp and outdated ceremony. Perhaps it is the ceremony which attract all the adoration from the others?

Bit of a generalisation don't you think?  The working Royal Family work amazingly hard.  OK, so they have nice places to live and have a lot of material possessions but imagine having to work everyday until the day you die!  That's what QEII did.  Not many would want that life. Oh, and by the way, you only have to look at the reaction of thw world to the death of QEII to realise that she was a very well respected person almost everywhere in the world.  Even Putin sent in a message praising her life of service.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

With the Royals, we only see the State Pomp and opening of new buildings. All their jewels and palaces ( with a few exceptions) are held on trust for the Nation....it’s not theirs! 

All the meetings, networking, influencing, we don’t see. I ,for one ,would find the constant pictures and sometimes inane media comment very wearing and intolerable. They have to smile and put up with. It is their duty. 

The word duty is not heard much  these days, it’s a shame. It stand still for responsibility, obligation, commitment, obedience, allegiance, loyalty, faithfulness. If each and every one of us had a sense of duty the world would be a better place.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, cymaz said:

With the Royals, we only see the State Pomp and opening of new buildings. All their jewels and palaces ( with a few exceptions) are held on trust for the Nation....it’s not theirs! 

All the meetings, networking, influencing, we don’t see. I ,for one ,would find the constant pictures and sometimes inane media comment very wearing and intolerable. They have to smile and put up with. It is their duty. 

The word duty is not heard much  these days, it’s a shame. It stand still for responsibility, obligation, commitment, obedience, allegiance, loyalty, faithfulness. If each and every one of us had a sense of duty the world would be a better place.

Well said .

• Like 4

I think it was very kind of that nice little old lady to look after all that stuff on our behalf. I'm sure that she polished it every day.

But now that she doesn't need it, can I have my bit back?   A nice wee Canaletto would do

ernie

• Haha 2