SCAMMER ALERT (Please read)

We’ve been alerted that a couple of members have received PMs relating to “a mate who’s selling” model related equipment (a Futaba connecting lead in these cases) giving a contact email. 

It seems rather likely that these messages are some sort of phishing attempt so please stay alert - especially where the contacts come from new posters. 

• Like 3

Advert

I have noticed a lot of newly registered members with no posts and no views. What caught my eye was the name, an example mandytuner1380, all lower case no spaces starting with a female name and often ending in a number. 

On 05/12/2022 at 00:30, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

...but stay alert for copycat scams.

Good advice as there looks to be many 'people' trying. 

Steve

• 1 year later...

Just want to highlight that this scam is still happening.  I put up a wanted ad, got a PM suggesting contact this e-mail, he has one for sale.

i did so and had a very plausible exchange with 'Dave Cotten' who eventually asked for a payment into his wife Paypal account 

[email protected]

When I looked into the PM I realised it was a person with no forum history and on checking further saw John's banner about being aware of scammers.  Lo and behold, exactly the same scenario.

If you're reading this 'Dave'  Hope that you get your just deserts one day

• 2 weeks later...

Umm - looks like I've been had too.

I contacted this "Dave Cotten" after a suggestion from a Gibbon Seth on these forums?

Quite a long email dialogue, including photos, until an agreement was reached - then a Friends & Family PayPal payment (Can't be refund!!).

The PayPal account / email is "Mary Rose Jim" and whilst PP show him as having received the money apparently he can't access it because his account is restricted??

I've raised a complaint with PP because their customer service person kept going round in circles, saying the same thing - but not listening to me at all

A few days ago, I advertised a few models etc on the BMFA Classifieds.

Yes, the BMFA have a warning banner at the top of the page.

Anyway, within 15 mins of my ad. I had two suspicious "buyers".

Both wanted to pay by Paypal, not bothered about the cost of postage, would do F&F etc.

Smelling a very large rat, I asked them both for their full name and address for postage.

Still waiting........................................

Seems a good way of getting rid of them.

10 hours ago, stu knowles said:

Gibbon Seth was the contact who tried to initiate the scam which I mentioned a few posts ago.  He needs removing from this forum - Well he or she needs much more but removal will probably have to suffice for now.

David removed him as soon as he was made aware - but remain vigilant as there's little to stop him coming back under a new identity.  We do have a couple of safeguards but a determined spammer or crook may find a way to masquerade as a genuine new member.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

David removed him as soon as he was made aware - but remain vigilant as there's little to stop him coming back under a new identity.  We do have a couple of safeguards but a determined spammer or crook may find a way to masquerade as a genuine new member.

Old saying "All locks are for gentlemen". And to that I add, "Locks are only an opportunity for the thief"