Untimely end to somebody's model aircraft

Adrian Smith 1

I was walking along the northern perimeter of the old Woodbridge aerodrome (now MOD Woodbridge where the Royal Engineers are based)  and somebody's disaster was staring at me in the face from the bushes outside the perimeter fence.

IMG_1155.thumb.JPG.947b566934bd42acd657cd4f551ff52e.JPG

IMG_1156.thumb.JPG.196476317356317d37c2ef56ab1f27f6.JPG

IMG_1157.thumb.JPG.9922c5711f2948d61f84abf998452d1f.JPG

There are no identifying marks to speak of and it is unclear whether it's a fixed wing or a jet. I do know I have seen a handful of jet fliers on the base (I think they are from Ipswich Flying Club) , but there is no evidence of the power plant  or much else for that matter. However, given I know that debris can be distributed over a wide area, it was difficult to search much further as the bushes are quite dense. In any event looking at the damage, particularly the piece of the main spar, it looks like an almost straight down crash at speed. 

If the owner has rescued the valuable parts it would have been nice for all debris to be removed, but this is only a guess. A sad sight which I know only too well if only on the rare occasion.

• Like 1

It really annoying how many modeller retrieve all the valuable or salvageable bits and leave the rest for someone else to clean up ! Bloody annoying and gives us all a bad name and possibly lose another site ? It happened at our flying field and we suspe t it was a non club member trying to fly. Left the whole model wreckage with everything stripped out in the corner of the field !

Edited by Engine Doctor
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, john davidson 1 said:

At our old site some one flying  when no member was there ( or attempting to ) left a complete pile of wreckage in the pits,I salvaged all the servos and carbon rod so some  good  came of it. Suspect it was a couple of young chaps who we never saw again anyway.

Fair payment for clearing up their mess 👍.

12 hours ago, john davidson 1 said:

At our old site some one flying  when no member was there ( or attempting to ) left a complete pile of wreckage in the pits,I salvaged all the servos and carbon rod so some  good  came of it. Suspect it was a couple of young chaps who we never saw again anyway.

And there was me thinking modellers were a responsible bunch.

At our site, we pick up every scrap of debris should the worst happen.

The last thing we want is one of the farm staff or gamekeepers picking up bits of model.

We are not on thin ice with the landowners, but it would only take one incident to ruin our so far good relationships.

Too easy to lose a flying site these days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Miller said:

Some years ago an ex member of the club  demolished his transmitter in a big way.  We found small bits of it scattered around for sometime afterwards.

We never saw him again anyway but he would have been  an ex member even if it had not been voluntary

Oh come on sometimes we all have throw a tantrum,,,,,

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 26/12/2022 at 12:21, John Tee said:

Leccyflier.

I have to admit a few years ago at our indoor flying night I did the classic of holding the model and throwing the Tx. Luckily it was a cheapy one but still worked afterwards. not used much since.

john

John, you've remindind me of an incident a fellow flier witnessed at Butser Hill once. 
An aerobatic glider, damaged on a previous flight, had undergone some field repairs with cyano.  Once fixed, the pilot picked it up and sprinted down the wet, grassy hill, model in one hand, transmitter in the other, and gave the model a hefty lob.  Only the glider did not leave his cyano covered hand...  The net result being the chap, with model stuck to one hand and transmitter in the other, went somersaulting down the hill leaving a trail of wreckage behind him.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

22 hours ago, Robin Colbourne said:

John, you've remindind me of an incident a fellow flier witnessed at Butser Hill once. 
An aerobatic glider, damaged on a previous flight, had undergone some field repairs with cyano.  Once fixed, the pilot picked it up and sprinted down the wet, grassy hill, model in one hand, transmitter in the other, and gave the model a hefty lob.  Only the glider did not leave his cyano covered hand...  The net result being the chap, with model stuck to one hand and transmitter in the other, went somersaulting down the hill leaving a trail of wreckage behind him.

Brilliant! I always think that it's OK to total a model if it's got comedic value. This is right up there!

• Like 1

Could be that those collecting the wreckage did their best but missed what we see now because the area was overgrown earlier in the year. I'm sure they wouldn't have deliberately left such obvious junk around after clearing up the vast majority of it. Presumably, what was found did get picked up?

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 1